4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto vs. Standard Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 11:35 AM

Auto vs. Standard Tranny

I recently purchased a 99 Nissan Maxima SE (auto) last month. I tried getting the standard but as we all know, they're pretty rare. One thing that I find odd though is that almost everyone who posts in the forums have a manual tranny. If I'm not mistaken, every 1 out of 10 Maximas are standard. I just think its odd how the availability of a manual tranny is rare and yet more than half of the people on this board report that they drive stick.
What I find amusing though is that some of the best track times that I've seen on this board have come from an auto. I know I might get flamed by saying this but most guys who drive stick make a big deal about it. I guess that small edge they have over autos is that important to them even though that edge happens to be only a couple tenths of a second (correct me if I'm wrong). Or maybe I just don't take racing as seriously as they do. For those of you who are fuming by the end of this paragraph, yes I would like a manual tranny if thats what you're wondering.

99 SE-L Maxima (Automagic)
Injen CAI
Diamond Clear Corners
Budget Y-Pipe
Old 10-16-2002, 11:39 AM

I like my auto.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

That's because this is an enthusiast webiste, so therefore more of us here opted for the manual tranny, cept for me b/c I got impatient and bought my auto. I think the best track times are manual, I have yet to see an auto N/A run 13's. And manuals have done it N/A. If I could do it again, I'de get a manual, in fact I am planning on converting within the next year or so.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Auto vs. Standard Tranny

Yeah, the best time is set by an auto, but the mean average of maximas are much faster than their auto counterparts on this website. Wait till some of these stick turbo max's make some runs, then we'll see. I converted my max, and wouldnt go back to auto. Its more convenient in traffic, but stick is so much more fun and powerful, yet sometimes a pita.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:58 AM

I'm not gonna argue about an auto being better than a manual because of course we all know that it is not true. You gotta be realistic. I am curious though what the time difference is between an auto and stick. I know the manual is around 6.6-6.7 sec. I've seen different times reported for a stock auto. Can anyone give an estimate to what that time might be. I know for sure its not that far off from a manual tranny.

99 SE-L Maxima
Injen CAI
Diamond Clear Corners
Budget Y-Pipe
Old 10-16-2002, 12:04 PM

I think the number of standard maximas is under 5%. The reason there are so many manuals on this board is because enthusiasts tend to opt for manual.

When I was looking for my 97 in 2000, my dealer had plenty of stickshifts available. Most of them were stripper models though. I wanted a loaded car, plus I had never owned a manual transmission car (lame excuse), so I ended up getting an automatic. So now I am in the "wish I had bought a manual" camp.

There are definitely advantages to having an auto, and I am still glad I have one sometimes.

It's true that the best time is set by an auto, but I think that driving is much more than just going fast in a straight line. Manual transmissions are better on twisty roads as they allow you to be in the proper gear. Plus, they are a lot more fun to drive.

Stock for stock, an auto will be about 0.8-1.0 second slower to 60.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

The fastest 1/4 mile I've seen for a stock 4th gen Auto is 15.4. The fastest time I've seen for a stock 4th gen 5speed is 14.7 (I think?).

This is not a slight advantage. This is a HUGE advantage. Stock for stock, and mod for mod, the 5spd will always outrun the automatic.

PS, My auto with only an intake mod ran 0-60 in 6.7
Old 10-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Administrator

first off..

i don't know how people say you can't find 5spds.. because i find them like water running down a river in a thunderstorm..

my cousin wanted a 5spd and within 2 hours i found 30 5spds in a 70 mile radius.. and he ended up buying a 99 5spd SE .. Sterling Mist with 50k for 12,000

next off..

the fastest N/A Auto on this board runs 14.7 @ 93 and thats with every bolt on possible.. if i recall .. Veetec ran that BONE STOCK in his 97 5spd SE at the same track.. the closest car with mods to that is Neal and he is running 13.9 .. he doesn't have an ECU upgrade though..

5spd N/A Maxima's are on par with Supercharged (STOCK PULLEY) Auto Maxima's.. so i don't know where you got the information of the auto's being faster.. if an Auto is faster than a 5spd at the track. .the 5spd driver is usually getting 2.5 - 2.9 60fts.. and thats because they can't launch..
Old 10-16-2002, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by mzmtg
The fastest 1/4 mile I've seen for a stock 4th gen Auto is 15.4. The fastest time I've seen for a stock 4th gen 5speed is 14.7 (I think?).

This is not a slight advantage. This is a HUGE advantage. Stock for stock, and mod for mod, the 5spd will always outrun the automatic.

i think its 15.3 for the auto and 14.7 for the 5spd...

Originally posted by mzmtg
PS, My auto with only an intake mod ran 0-60 in 6.7
on GTECH
Old 10-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by SprintMax

on GTECH
Yeah, on a Gtech. But on that run, my 60' time was 2.37 (according to the timeslip). My best run of the night had a 60' of 2.27. I think that backs up that my car was running mid-6s 0-60 that night.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:35 PM

Not gonna pound any drums, butttttt........There are always exceptions to the rule.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:38 PM

first off..

5spd N/A Maxima's are on par with Supercharged (STOCK PULLEY) Auto Maxima's.. so i don't know where you got the information of the auto's being faster..
Don in Texas and Jime skewed the auto data considerably. I may be wrong, but I don't think any 5spds have gotten into the 12's yet, have they? Then again, maybe the heavily modded 5spd guys just don't go to the track. It would be interesting to see what time Don would get if he did the tranny swap. Somebody buy his car and find out!
Old 10-16-2002, 03:03 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Don in Texas and Jime skewed the auto data considerably. I may be wrong, but I don't think any 5spds have gotten into the 12's yet, have they? Then again, maybe the heavily modded 5spd guys just don't go to the track. It would be interesting to see what time Don would get if he did the tranny swap. Somebody buy his car and find out!
Don's run was BS from what I saw and heard...

Old 10-16-2002, 05:49 PM

A 5spd will always be faster than an auto in a maxima. Auto = convienice, 5spd = speed and fun. Simples as that.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Custom User Title

ATTN 5spd owners...

How do the manual trannys hold up?? any problems? (95-96)

How long should they last?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by SuperFishstick
A 5spd will always be faster than an auto in a maxima. Auto = convienice, 5spd = speed and fun. Simples as that.
Funny, but the fastest maximas on this board are all auto's. HMMM??? There are some really fast 5spds too, but the top 2-3 are all autos. You really should not make a blanket statement like that. The speed of the max's depends on the mods that are on the car, condition of the car, and FINALLY the kind of tranny they have.

Not just because you are an auto, will you ALWAYS be slower than a 5spd. Stock vs Stock yes, modded vs modded depends on the mods, driver, and condition of the car.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Manual 4th gns are pretty common for killing differential bearings.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:08 AM

Re: Re: Auto vs. Standard Tranny

Originally posted by skeelo34
Yeah, the best time is set by an auto, but the mean average of maximas are much faster than their auto counterparts on this website. Wait till some of these stick turbo max's make some runs, then we'll see. I converted my max, and wouldnt go back to auto. Its more convenient in traffic, but stick is so much more fun and powerful, yet sometimes a pita.
How much did the conversion cost?
Old 10-17-2002, 10:11 AM
living out of a maxima...

Everyone has been talking about auto vs. 5spd in the 1/4 mile, and sure, it makes a big difference there. But this being my first manual (second max), I'd say the biggest appeal is not on the 1/4 mile track, but driving around town. When you've got a stick you are much better connected to the car. You have the power you want, when you want.

I just got back from my lunch break, during which I put another 20 useless miles on the max. I just can't help but drive it!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 10:32 AM

If you ask me one is not better than the other anyways. They both do the same job but there are pros and cons for both setups. I think people should kill these threads about 5 speed is better than auto and vice versa. Mod your car no matter how the thing shifts and make it fast. Some people around here don't listen to the hype and I'm one of them.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Actually the first maxima into 12's was a 99 5spd .. running 12.6

oh and btw

Old 10-17-2002, 01:44 PM

Someone should also mention that even though alot of enthusiasts are on this board, way more non-enthusiasts own Maximas. What, is there like 2000 members on maxima.org?? And Maximas tend to sell like 90-100,000 cars per year? So for the 95-99 years, there are around >400,000 Gen 4 Maximas out there. Look at those numbers and you'll realize that there are alooooot of non-enthusiast maxima drivers out there.

Secondly, even though it can be shown that the autos are the fastest of the fast, it is much easier to make a 5 speed faster. If you put a turbo or SC on the 5 speed, you never beef up the tranny, but on an auto, beef up the engine, you almost have to beef up the auto. The main weakness of the 5 speeds is it's tendency to eat bearings. Nothing power related.

Lastly, I think the difference between the 5 speed and auto gets much greater with the speed, especially at 3rd gear. In 1/4 mile runs, you only begin to see that. So if you like having a strong power band, even on the highway, and flexibility and fun, then the 5 speed is for you

DW
Old 10-17-2002, 02:04 PM
living out of a maxima...

It makes all the difference when the light turns yellow and you can downshift...
Old 10-17-2002, 02:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Auto vs. Standard Tranny

Originally posted by IncandescentSE
I recently purchased a 99 Nissan Maxima SE (auto) last month. I tried getting the standard but as we all know, they're pretty rare. One thing that I find odd though is that almost everyone who posts in the forums have a manual tranny. If I'm not mistaken, every 1 out of 10 Maximas are standard. I just think its odd how the availability of a manual tranny is rare and yet more than half of the people on this board report that they drive stick.
What I find amusing though is that some of the best track times that I've seen on this board have come from an auto. I know I might get flamed by saying this but most guys who drive stick make a big deal about it. I guess that small edge they have over autos is that important to them even though that edge happens to be only a couple tenths of a second (correct me if I'm wrong). Or maybe I just don't take racing as seriously as they do. For those of you who are fuming by the end of this paragraph, yes I would like a manual tranny if thats what you're wondering. Manny trannys are more fun, offer more control. Most people that enter this forum are interested in performance and squeezing a few extra ponies out of their Max. It is a shame more domestic producers don't offer manual transmissions on more of their products....

99 SE-L Maxima (Automagic)
Injen CAI
Diamond Clear Corners
Budget Y-Pipe
Old 10-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Zam

first off..

i don't know how people say you can't find 5spds.. because i find them like water running down a river in a thunderstorm..

If this is so, hook a brother up! I'll take anything from 1995-2003, fully loaded, not red, and oh yeah Anywhere within 4 hours of Kaiserslautern Germany(no I'm not going to ship from the states either) The price needs to be competitive with KBB private party pricing.

Zam
Old 10-17-2002, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi

Secondly, even though it can be shown that the autos are the fastest of the fast, it is much easier to make a 5 speed faster. If you put a turbo or SC on the 5 speed, you never beef up the tranny, but on an auto, beef up the engine, you almost have to beef up the auto. The main weakness of the 5 speeds is it's tendency to eat bearings. Nothing power related.

Lastly, I think the difference between the 5 speed and auto gets much greater with the speed, especially at 3rd gear. In 1/4 mile runs, you only begin to see that. So if you like having a strong power band, even on the highway, and flexibility and fun, then the 5 speed is for you

DW
I think the term "easier" should be changed to "cheaper". Adding a S/C or turbo to anything is far from "easy" on any car. If you think you can run a S/C or turbo any more than measly 5 lbs of boost on stock 5spd clutch, you are mistaken. If you are like most boosted guys, stock boost pressures are not enough, so you will definetly need to invest in heavy duty clutches when you dial up the boost. Quality clutches do not cost $50. So when you factor in parts and labor, it is cheaper than rebuilding an auto, but far from a drop in a bucket.

As for powerband issues, the gearing in an auto is taller between gears. You are correct in the fact that a 5spd is more flexible and fun, but in a 1/4 mi run the auto is 3rd gear and winding out. I haven't driven a 5spd at the track, so I don't know what gear they are in at the end but suspect is probably 4th. What I'm trying to say is that BOTH cars are going to be in the "meat" of their respective powerbands at the end.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Zam

If this is so, hook a brother up! I'll take anything from 1995-2003, fully loaded, not red, and oh yeah Anywhere within 4 hours of Kaiserslautern Germany(no I'm not going to ship from the states either) The price needs to be competitive with KBB private party pricing.

Zam
a tranny swap is in yoru future my son
Old 10-17-2002, 03:48 PM
Zam

a tranny swap is in yoru future my son
Old 10-18-2002, 07:23 AM

OK, cheaper, then. As for 3rd gear winding out, yeah, that happens, in the 5 speed. You just barely touch 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile. 3rd gear in a Maxima auto can take you all the way to 130 mph, so how does it wind out at the end of the 1/4 mile at a trap speed of 90 something miles per hour? Even a turbo or SCed Maxima auto will not wind 3rd out in the 1/4 mile.

DW

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

I think the term "easier" should be changed to "cheaper". Adding a S/C or turbo to anything is far from "easy" on any car. If you think you can run a S/C or turbo any more than measly 5 lbs of boost on stock 5spd clutch, you are mistaken. If you are like most boosted guys, stock boost pressures are not enough, so you will definetly need to invest in heavy duty clutches when you dial up the boost. Quality clutches do not cost $50. So when you factor in parts and labor, it is cheaper than rebuilding an auto, but far from a drop in a bucket.

As for powerband issues, the gearing in an auto is taller between gears. You are correct in the fact that a 5spd is more flexible and fun, but in a 1/4 mi run the auto is 3rd gear and winding out. I haven't driven a 5spd at the track, so I don't know what gear they are in at the end but suspect is probably 4th. What I'm trying to say is that BOTH cars are going to be in the "meat" of their respective powerbands at the end.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:43 AM

5-speed all the way.....
Old 10-18-2002, 08:17 AM

5 speed wanna be

I've got a 95 Se, still pretty much stock besides an exhaust and test pipe i'm putting on later today and i can say i really wish i had a 5 speed.

5 speeds in ANY car are going to be faster then auto's with an ept driver because manuels reach down into the power band much more effieciently and with quicker timing then an automatic today (although bmw's new auto/manual tranny might solve that).

I personally can't wait till i have about 1k sitting around so i can due a tranny swap. But i've found that its really hard to find a shop that would take on the job. I'm still working on that end.

as far as 0-60 difference, if you read car and drivers reviews in 95 (fastest max before 2k2's) the manual out performed the auto by about .3 -.5 seconds. This doesn't seem like much but when you think in terms of quarter mile, thats not to shabby at all since that time keeps getting bigger the closer you get to the 1/4.

In summary I WANT A 5 SPEED....GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!!
Old 10-18-2002, 08:54 AM

Re: 5 speed wanna be

Originally posted by TonyGotSkilz
5 speeds in ANY car are going to be faster then auto's with an ept driver
An "ept" driver? Sort of like a gruntled postal worker. How come you never hear about them?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:31 AM

the fastest N/A Auto on this board runs 14.7 @ 93 and thats with every bolt on possible...
Even though this is the 4th gen forum, just to be clear you meant fastest 4th gen auto N/A, right?

2k2 Autos can (read: have) run that bone stock. I think that even with the new 6-speed the auto vs stick difference is getting narrower.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:47 AM

OK, cheaper, then. As for 3rd gear winding out, yeah, that happens, in the 5 speed. You just barely touch 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile. 3rd gear in a Maxima auto can take you all the way to 130 mph, so how does it wind out at the end of the 1/4 mile at a trap speed of 90 something miles per hour? Even a turbo or SCed Maxima auto will not wind 3rd out in the 1/4 mile.

DW

Actually I have to shift into 4th gear in my auto because it is over the redline at the end of the 1/4. The reason for that is the 22" tires which reduce the gearing dramatically.

If you put that small a tire on a 5 speed it will probably not hold traction in 1st gear like the auto.

That said, its pretty hard for a man trans to beat an auto once you get close to the 12 sec mark.

PS I am also running a stock trans not beefed in any way.

Jim
Old 10-18-2002, 11:52 AM

Interesting. I hear that Don in Texas, the one with the reputed world fastest Maxima, also uses tiny tires on his fronts, too. My argument was assuming stock, or similar to stock size tires. Going from the stock ~25" tires to 22s is quite a change. I'm sure you would never run with those tires on the street. 5 speeds can't even use them b/c as you mentioned, the gear multiplication in 1st would make it totally useless. Maybe, with those small tires, a 5 speeder should launch in 2nd instead.

Perhaps I should say you can make a 5 speed faster than an auto but still have a very drivable street machine compared to the auto. That's what I'm trying to get at, the best of both worlds. Once you start talking about autos in 12s, that car is going to be pretty much a go-fast-straight-ahead-only-for-the-track version.

DW

Originally posted by Jime

Actually I have to shift into 4th gear in my auto because it is over the redline at the end of the 1/4. The reason for that is the 22" tires which reduce the gearing dramatically.

If you put that small a tire on a 5 speed it will probably not hold traction in 1st gear like the auto.

That said, its pretty hard for a man trans to beat an auto once you get close to the 12 sec mark.

PS I am also running a stock trans not beefed in any way.

Jim
Old 10-18-2002, 02:06 PM

Interesting. I hear that Don in Texas, the one with the reputed world fastest Maxima, also uses tiny tires on his fronts, too. My argument was assuming stock, or similar to stock size tires. Going from the stock ~25" tires to 22s is quite a change. I'm sure you would never run with those tires on the street. 5 speeds can't even use them b/c as you mentioned, the gear multiplication in 1st would make it totally useless. Maybe, with those small tires, a 5 speeder should launch in 2nd instead.

Perhaps I should say you can make a 5 speed faster than an auto but still have a very drivable street machine compared to the auto. That's what I'm trying to get at, the best of both worlds. Once you start talking about autos in 12s, that car is going to be pretty much a go-fast-straight-ahead-only-for-the-track version.

DW

My wife drives our car grocery shopping and no she can't drive a manual, can't get much more streetable than that. There is no difference in the way it drives or runs now than when I bought it. When I get to the track it takes 5 mins to change the front tires and another 5 to modify my suspension thats it and it runs low 13's.

We all try and do stuff to make our cars go faster, maybe the biggest difference is that some people want to race on the street and some of us just do it on the track.