4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starter motor help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Starter motor help

I'm having some strange trouble trying to start my car. Well First off i know i need a new starter or at least i think i do cause when its hot outside (which is is rather often in daytona beach, fl) my car doesn't turn over at all when i turn the key. all i here is this strange lil noise. After trying sometimes once or twice and other times 10-30 times (usually depending on how hot it is outside) it always starts. This is because heat causes resistance to go down so if a part of my start coil is bad, the extra resistance causes the motor to not have enough power to turn over (or something like that i'm not a mechanic or even a smart guy) j/k.

But all that said my real problem is that even when it turns over normally, hot or cold outside (more so when hot). The car cranks for a few seconds and doesn't turn over, or turns over idles up to 1k and then stalls. EVERYTIME i start my car i have to pump my gas pedal when its turning over to make it actually catch and stay on. Sometimes it works right away and sometimes it turns over i pump it it idles for a sec. then stalls. I've even had my AUTOMATIC stall at at stop light before (several times actually) after its been hard to start i'd drive for about 2 minutes get to a light and the car would just shut off. This has even happened when i was driving slow like under 20 mph. Usually when this starts to happen i can throw it in neutral and pump the gas and sometimes i can save it from stalling if i catch it soon enough. Anyone have any idea WTF is wrong with my baby? I'm starting to think its the fuel injection system, but could that be. Anyone had the same problem or have any insite?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sounds like you have a few problems going on here. The first is the starter or the battery. Have your charging system checked out before you dump money into a new starter. Batteries usually fail when there cold, but they can also act up when hot also. Make sure it's not your battery first.

The second starting problem along with your stalling condition points to the engine temp sensor. Check the connections on that sensor and make sure there nice and clean. You may need to get a FSM and actually measure it to see if it's within specs when your car is both warm and cold.

Another thing to consider is your throttle body. Clean it! www.motorvate.ca has the writeup for you.

Tom
Old 10-18-2002, 09:30 AM

Hopefully

funny you should say that i just got a light saying my engine coolant temperature sensor may be bad. (1/3 code on ecu) hopefully its that, i plan on replacing it tonight, its only 26 bucks so its worth it to get the check engine light off. I just replaced the knock sensor and let me tell you its was a *****, alotta blood and cut up hands, but it was worth it car runs alot better if i can fix this damn starting problem.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:56 AM

I have a 95 se and it started like poop, same deal, needs some gas when starting worse when hot out. Heard that new batteries will solve this and bought one. now it never hesitates. buy a good battery make sure theres good connections on the terminals (wipe with steel woool and if you want spray with clear coat to keep oxidation of of it) good luck
Old 10-18-2002, 10:07 AM

Battery sounds good

I guess i'll be buying a new battery with my temp sensor....If your wrong though i may have to kill you =) j/k.