4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got beat, nitrous failure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 10:03 AM

got beat, nitrous failure?

The other day, I got beat strait up by a newer (2k2, 2k3?) Acura CL type S. He was all stock that I could see and had at least 3 people in his car. I had one person in my car and we raced from about 45-80, and he had me by about a half car length. This wouldn't seem so bad but...I have a 99-SE-L 5-speed with a frankencar intake, STS, AND i was spraying the entire time of the race. (65 shot) It almost felt as if the nitrous was spraying as like a 10 shot, i could barely feel it. When i checked out the engine afterwards, i noticed that the vaccum hose from the nitrous box to the fuel pressure regulator had come off. Would this cause a weaker shot, or no shot at all?? Also, I have the ZEX Nitrous kit. I bought this kit so i could beat the majority of the stock cars, not loose to them and be laughed at...any help would be apreciated, thanks...
-Jon
Old 10-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if it was a 6spd, and ur nitrous wasnt working, its reasonable. If it was auto, and ur nitrous wasnt working, its a pretty close race, so its still possible. Most dry setups use the fuel pressure vaccuum to run, so if that was disc, its definitely possible u werent spraying, but theres also other factors, bottle pressure, how full the bottle was, and also ive heard the ZEX kit doesnt rate its shot to the wheels.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:45 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
if it was a 6spd, and ur nitrous wasnt working, its reasonable. If it was auto, and ur nitrous wasnt working, its a pretty close race, so its still possible. Most dry setups use the fuel pressure vaccuum to run, so if that was disc, its definitely possible u werent spraying, but theres also other factors, bottle pressure, how full the bottle was, and also ive heard the ZEX kit doesnt rate its shot to the wheels.
I dont think any nitrous kits is advertised as "wheel horse power"
35,55,65, 70, etc. Thats just HP increase....I would assume that you have to factor in drivetrain loss as usual.

Aaron
Old 10-19-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

I dont think any nitrous kits is advertised as "wheel horse power"
35,55,65, 70, etc. Thats just HP increase....I would assume that you have to factor in drivetrain loss as usual.

Aaron
NX is advertised as "wheel HP" and it does what it says. NOS is not. NX guarantees within 2% of output rating no other manufacturer will guarantee that.

Jim
Old 10-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Jime

NX is advertised as "wheel HP" and it does what it says. NOS is not. NX guarantees within 2% of output rating no other manufacturer will guarantee that.

Jim
Nice If i dont like the zex kit (was only 250 never used) ill sell it and get a NX kit

Aaron
Old 10-19-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Nice If i dont like the zex kit (was only 250 never used) ill sell it and get a NX kit

Aaron
Don't bother installing it...go for the NX kit.

Erik
Old 10-19-2002, 02:59 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by tifosiv122

Don't bother installing it...go for the NX kit.

Erik
Hehe Erik!

Thats an idea, but we just had a new baby so money is tight, so it would take a while to get all the nx goodies id want.
I rode in a car w/a zex kit and it hits good. Im sure it will be fine. I just want some extra oomph. Not looking to get amazing 1/4 times or anything.

There's always another car on the road thats faster and quicker.
Ya cant win em all.........maybe a juiced or turbo hennessy....but lets be real.....i am a government employee.......the air force dont pay sh**. Get this:...I can qualify for food stamps and WIC. Not that I use them.....but thats crap. A civilian equivalent makes like 10k more a year. BS! So the military folks arent rich like most people think

Aaron
Old 10-19-2002, 03:08 PM
Langley AFB Sux

But i do have the window switch ya sold me!

Just in case

Aaron
Old 10-19-2002, 04:39 PM

honestly i think the whole WHP advertising vs Flywheel HP advertising doesnt mean a whole lot, i do believe NX is better in general, but for kits like the NOS, since its a dry kit, its as simple as just swapping out the jet for a larger one, if the 50shot jet gets u 40whp, go with the 60 or 70 jet for 50 and so forth.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
honestly i think the whole WHP advertising vs Flywheel HP advertising doesnt mean a whole lot, i do believe NX is better in general, but for kits like the NOS, since its a dry kit, its as simple as just swapping out the jet for a larger one, if the 50shot jet gets u 40whp, go with the 60 or 70 jet for 50 and so forth.
Yeah I hear ya.......

Either way your adding power!

Aaron
Old 10-19-2002, 05:15 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Does it really matter what the manufacture claims? Nitrous is nitrous...the more you put into the combustion chamber, the more power you will make. If I don't get the wheel HP I want, I just go with the next higher jet size. What if X company comes out with a kit claims it's a "15 shot". It ends up making 100 HP at the wheels on the dyno. Is that nitrous company/setup that much better? People shouldn't base on which kit is better by how close you get from the claim output rating. I do think NX parts are better but the bottom line is the more nitrous the more power.

Originally posted by Jime

Jim
Old 10-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Does it really matter what the manufacture claims? Nitrous is nitrous...the more you put into the combustion chamber, the more power you will make. If I don't get the wheel HP I want, I just go with the next higher jet size. What if X company comes out with a kit claims it's a "15 shot". It ends up making 100 HP at the wheels on the dyno? Is that nitrous company/setup that much better? People shouldn't base on which kit is better by how close you get from the claim output rating. I do think NX parts are better but the bottom line is the more nitrous the more power.

Agreed. Lets not get a "which Nitrous kit is better war" going though.

To each their own. I have ZEX......it was 250....yeah its used, but i know for a fact it was never connected, filled or sprayed.

If i had 500........id go NX.

If i had even more money, Turbo.

Aaron
Old 10-20-2002, 04:12 PM

hey guys, thanks for the help...i like the zex kit, even though i've heard real good things about NX. Anyway, i guess the unconnected hose is the problem, so now the next step is to find a way to keep it attached, it comes out every time i spray...thanks again.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:18 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by J 9MAX9
hey guys, thanks for the help...i like the zex kit, even though i've heard real good things about NX. Anyway, i guess the unconnected hose is the problem, so now the next step is to find a way to keep it attached, it comes out every time i spray...thanks again.
Walmart....

less than 2$ for some hose clamps

Aaron

J...

on your zex...you took the vacuum line that was connected to the fpr and connected it to the "intake" port on the zex nmu (with the correct jet) and the ran the other tubing to where that line was connected on the fpr right?

The pdf file instructions are misleading. You have first hand knowledge!

Aaron
Old 10-20-2002, 04:25 PM

yes, that's what i did, but there still has to be a reason that hose keeps coming off, it shouldn't, it's on tight, and it's only a vacuum hose. Weird thing is, it only comes off when i spray.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:29 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by J 9MAX9
yes, that's what i did, but there still has to be a reason that hose keeps coming off, it shouldn't, it's on tight, and it's only a vacuum hose. Weird thing is, it only comes off when i spray.
Oops..

Edit:

J...

on your zex...you took the vacuum line that was connected to the fpr and connected it to the "intake" port on the zex nmu (with the correct jet) and the ran the other tubing fromt the "regulator port" on the nmu to where that line was connected on the fpr right?

Aaron

Who knows...pressure? vibration? just get a hose clamp....try a zip tie if you have it........hose clamp would be better.....cant and the juice failing on you with some ricer being an a$$