4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

accident! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 04:13 PM
henock

accident! (long)

i wake up early today (sunday) because my cousin wanted to meet me at church ( i haven't driven there before, i've always gotten a ride). I walk up to my car and start it, and i decide to wipe down the car with a soft cloth because i had some fingerprints on it. Since i havent been to the church in a while, i *kinda* forgot how to get there. It is in an area that isn't doing too well in terms of economy, and i don't go around there very much. I go down a relatively good street toward the church, and of course, i get lost. I start looking for the church on several streets, and i get on another major street (not a really good street in terms of clarity/structure/space). I come to an intersection, look around more for the church, not realizing that the center of my nightmare was ahead.

There weren't any cars between me and the intersection, and when i look back at the intersection, the light was turning from yellow to red before i get to the intersection. My first instinct was to hit the brakes; hit em hard. i missed and hit the gas, sending me flying into the front quarter panel of a silver 1987 maxima at around 30 mph.

"****, i totalled my car! CRAP!" "am i ok?" "is the other guy ok?"

i hop out of my car and head over to the other guy, he's holding his shoulder. i ask him if he's ok, he says yes. i look at my car and just want to cry. the hood was crumped up, windshield is cracked, all lights are smashed, both fenders are bent, im sure the radiator is dead, and i'm fearing my car wont hit the road again . I get back into my car and call my mom (im 17 ..).

the firetruck came, i dont know how they heard, and moved our cars off the road and attended to minor scrapes and bruises. after exchanging information and gathering whitnesses, i get the car towed to a local body shop. they take a look at it and tell me it's repairable. i ask how much, and they (quickly) estimated 4-5 thousand bucks. nothing official. is that too much?

the other guy, i'm sure he'll be ok. he called off an ambulance, and got a bandage on his shoulder. if he claims medical injury, i'm claiming hot flaming BS.

yeah, i'm ****ed. i have a swollen lip, a good stratch on my arm, and a stiff finger. now i'm worried about my car.. how much do you guys/gals think insurance will give me? i have full coverage, he has liability. i bought the car for 6800 2 months ago.

oh, and how long from now would you guys think the car would be repaired? im thinking 2-3 weeks.

Old 10-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i did something like that to my car..

i had the whole front end replaced, bumper, grill, lights, hood, both fenders, even some of the frame underneath was damaged, radiator was replaced.

total cost, about 7 grand. they didnt total my car because it was worth about 12 grand according to them. good luck with your case.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:40 PM
henock

how long did it take to get back?

Old 10-20-2002, 05:10 PM

sorry to hear about your accident. I hope it all works out.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:38 PM
I need a truck

i'm real sorry about your accident ... your insurance is going to go through the roof ... but as long as you're ok, thats all that matters right
Old 10-20-2002, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Conrad283
i'm real sorry about your accident ... your insurance is going to go through the roof ... but as long as you're ok, thats all that matters right
Not necessarily. I got into an accident at 17 and my insurance barely went up. I also had a perfectly clean record prior but I was expecting it to go up much more. Took about 3 weeks to get the car back and I had the front bumper, side fender, front left tire and wheel, and airbags replaced. Also did some work on the driver side door. Costed about $13k to fix(luckily my car was worth around 16k at the time).
Old 10-20-2002, 05:52 PM
I need a truck

Originally posted by RapidMax

Not necessarily. I got into an accident at 17 and my insurance barely went up. I also had a perfectly clean record prior but I was expecting it to go up much more.
was it your fault?
Old 10-20-2002, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Conrad283

was it your fault?
Yeah 100% my fault since it was a one car accident. Lost control in frosty conditions accelerating too hard out of a corner. Possibly, the stupidest thing I've done in my life.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:02 PM

Sorry to hear about that Henock but hey man the most important thing everyone is okay. If the bodyshop said it was repairable I'm sure the insurance company will say that as well. If you have a clean record and you're a responsible guy you should be okay in terms of insurance. It'll probably take 3 weeks, but hey man it's worth the wait. On the optomistic side, atleast you're getting rid of the crappy OEM paint! And it doesn't sound like the guy in the '88 as that disspointed... maybe he was looking for a new car anyways. Hope all goes well bud, it sounds like it will.
-Cyrus