4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 01:52 PM

New Power antenna

Just got a new power antenna to replace my broken one. Went to the dealer, they wanted $300 for a new one including installation. So I figured I would save some money, and do it myself. I took out the lining in the trunk near the antenna, but I still can't figure out how to disconenct it from the body. I can't seem to find how to unscrew it. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 10-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I imagine you know without a doubt... but to be on the safe side, you are certain that you need a motor and not a mast right? The mast is ~$24 and takes five minutes to install.

Sorry, I can't help with the motor install, never looked at it.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Entropy
I imagine you know without a doubt... but to be on the safe side, you are certain that you need a motor and not a mast right? The mast is ~$24 and takes five minutes to install.

Sorry, I can't help with the motor install, never looked at it.
Well, the motor went in the first place, leaving half way up, the mast snapped in the middle, when I went for a car wash. So I got the new motor and mast from ebay for $40. Just need to know how to get the mast off the body.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ahhh... don't know about the motor. Gotta be some clips or something... if you call a service guy at a dealer he might feel an uncommon urge to help you out and tell you how.

The second post you made says "mast" but I think you meant motor. If you are trying to get the mast off, that is easy. You just use some needle nose pliers on the two grooves around the mast. Then just unscrew it. Patience is the key - don't want to do custom pin-striping.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Entropy
Ahhh... don't know about the motor. Gotta be some clips or something... if you call a service guy at a dealer he might feel an uncommon urge to help you out and tell you how.

The second post you made says "mast" but I think you meant motor. If you are trying to get the mast off, that is easy. You just use some needle nose pliers on the two grooves around the mast. Then just unscrew it. Patience is the key - don't want to do custom pin-striping.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I already went to the dealer. The tech told me I needed a new mast and motor, I thought it was just the mast. He said it would cost $300 for it including the labor. He even told me I would be better off going to a stereo shop, and getting it done elsewhere, so I didn't get ripped off so badly. But I will try the needle nose plyers. Thank you for the tip.