4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:26 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

I usually get the fuel light coming on between the pre-last marker and the last marker on the fuel gauge.. However, when the needle approaches the last marker a little bit closer, still not touching it.. my car studders and bogs, especially at 2.5-3k rpm and more... as if it is running out of gas or something.

on my 98 auto, i can go to and even below the last marker and still drive fine... but the 97 5spd starts to drive like trash.

I thought I might have a lot of crap at the bottom of my gas tank? Car does have a lot of miles so it had time to accumulate.. When I get really low on gas, I suck in that dirt from the bottom of the tank and it causes the car to drive like that.

Any ideas on how to remove the crap from the bottom of the gas tank?

any other ideas on what can be the cause for this?

thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2002, 09:45 AM

Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I usually get the fuel light coming on between the pre-last marker and the last marker on the fuel gauge.. However, when the needle approaches the last marker a little bit closer, still not touching it.. my car studders and bogs, especially at 2.5-3k rpm and more... as if it is running out of gas or something.

on my 98 auto, i can go to and even below the last marker and still drive fine... but the 97 5spd starts to drive like trash.

I thought I might have a lot of crap at the bottom of my gas tank? Car does have a lot of miles so it had time to accumulate.. When I get really low on gas, I suck in that dirt from the bottom of the tank and it causes the car to drive like that.

Any ideas on how to remove the crap from the bottom of the gas tank?

any other ideas on what can be the cause for this?
It might not be dirt....just the fact that you're really low on gas. From what I've read in the past, our maximas aren't accurate across the board when gauging how much gas is left. Some litterly run out of gas when the light just goes on...others can coast for miles.

In any case, it couldn't hurt to clean out the tank though...not sure how to do that though.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:41 AM

Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

Originally posted by Str8ridin
thanks,
I actually haven't heard of anyone running out of gas just as the light comes on
Generally all cars have a set reserve of like 2 gallons that you can still run on.
I never heard anyone running out of gas before they reach the last marker of the fuel gauge.. I think if I ever hit that marker, i'd probably be out of gas by then. Maybe it's just my fuel gauge or the sensor that measures the amount of fuel left.. it's telling me there is more than there really is.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

thanks,
I actually haven't heard of anyone running out of gas just as the light comes on
Generally all cars have a set reserve of like 2 gallons that you can still run on.
I never heard anyone running out of gas before they reach the last marker of the fuel gauge.. I think if I ever hit that marker, i'd probably be out of gas by then. Maybe it's just my fuel gauge or the sensor that measures the amount of fuel left.. it's telling me there is more than there really is.
did he even say anything besides quoting you? weird.

you shouldn't let your tank go that low regularly anyway. it strains your fuel pump and hurts it's life expectancy.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

Originally posted by mayhem_J30

did he even say anything besides quoting you? weird.

you shouldn't let your tank go that low regularly anyway. it strains your fuel pump and hurts it's life expectancy.
he left his reply is within my quote.
becuase I should let it go down that low, and it isn't even that low, i don't even reach the very bottom marker, i am still curious as to why this happens..
Old 10-22-2002, 12:13 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

becuase I should let it go down that low, and it isn't even that low, i don't even reach the very bottom marker, i am still curious as to why this happens..
My car has a difficult time starting when I am low on gas. It just turns over and over...
Old 10-22-2002, 12:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

May be a redundant question but, have you changed your fuel filter lately and are you pulling any codes?

D
Old 10-22-2002, 12:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

thanks,
Sorry bout that...I just edited to include my reply. Anyhow, my car has about 3/4 of gallon after the light goes on....yet other people seem to have more.

hmmm, but the fact that it only chokes when you acclerate in the mid rpm's is strange....
Old 10-22-2002, 01:04 PM

i'm convinced that your pump is sucking air by when you stomp the gas. the pump normally holds a steady pressure in the lines so the affect of the pump getting air can be delayed..about right to when you hit mid range then it starts getting sloppy. think of the gas sloshin around in the tank when you accelerate.

your gauge is obviously off, but your sensor is correct. just start refilling way before. your destroying parts of your motor everytime you do this
Old 10-22-2002, 01:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

Originally posted by dlicari

May be a redundant question but, have you changed your fuel filter lately and are you pulling any codes?

D
That was my intial thought
I changed my fuel filter right after it happened once. No codes. New spark plugs, air filter, pcv valve, belts and so on..
The fact this happens right when i have very little gas left is what is strange..

Mayhem_J30,
thanks, i'm definately not making a habit of running close to empty, i've experienced this on 3 seperate occasions that i can remember so far.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

That was my intial thought
I changed my fuel filter right after it happened once. No codes. New spark plugs, air filter, pcv valve, belts and so on..
The fact this happens right when i have very little gas left is what is strange..

I figured you had but why skip the obvious? I wonder is the fuel pump is going out on you? It seems really odd. I have run my tank dwown to where the light comes on with no issue.

Good luck!

Mayhem_J30,
thanks, i'm definately not making a habit of running close to empty, i've experienced this on 3 seperate occasions that i can remember so far.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

Maybe carry a container of gas and driving until the engine stalls on you. At least that way, you know if it is just a matter of the guage overestimating your fuel level.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Car studders and bogs when I'm low on gas...

I am kind of going through what you are. My car starts to cut off just about when I hit the bottom line. Do you have indiglo gauges?? I think I messed up my gauges after the install. the funny thing is after I found out it was messed up I went and filled up my tank and fixed the marker but didnt push the needle up all the way to the top and it still acts up. My gas light doesnt even go on.