4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Did front brake job, couple of ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did front brake job, couple of ???

First off I used Carbon Metallic brake pads on my '95, and only changed the front, not the rear. I used brake quiet on the shims and Lubbed the pad holder clips.

First Question,
On the driver side, I forgot to tighten the top Caliper bolt all the way after I swung the caliper back down into place. I put the wheel back on and had the car down before I realized I forgot it. Will/should this cause any problems? The lower bolt is tightened, but the top bolt is loose.

Second Question,
On the Passenger side, I noticed the rotor was loose, after I took the wheel off and pulled the caliper up, the rotor slide forward, I probably could have pulled it off!, Is it supposed to be that loose? Isn't there supposed to be some clips or something to hold it on? And is this going to cause any problems?

Third Question,
What is the normal break-in period (on average) for a front brake job, done with carbon metallic pads? I drive rather spiritedly, mostly around town, some highway, and I want to know how long I should expect it to keep squealing.

Thanks Brake gurus,
Anthony
Old 10-25-2002, 02:10 PM

Re: Did front brake job, couple of ???

Originally posted by way2fast95
First off I used Carbon Metallic brake pads on my '95, and only changed the front, not the rear. I used brake quiet on the shims and Lubbed the pad holder clips.

First Question,
On the driver side, I forgot to tighten the top Caliper bolt all the way after I swung the caliper back down into place. I put the wheel back on and had the car down before I realized I forgot it. Will/should this cause any problems? The lower bolt is tightened, but the top bolt is loose.

Second Question,
On the Passenger side, I noticed the rotor was loose, after I took the wheel off and pulled the caliper up, the rotor slide forward, I probably could have pulled it off!, Is it supposed to be that loose? Isn't there supposed to be some clips or something to hold it on? And is this going to cause any problems?

Third Question,
What is the normal break-in period (on average) for a front brake job, done with carbon metallic pads? I drive rather spiritedly, mostly around town, some highway, and I want to know how long I should expect it to keep squealing.

Thanks Brake gurus,
Anthony

1) Yes tighten that bolt. I know frome xperience. What will happen is it will vibrate off. And if it does, you are screwed, becasue the rotor will push the caliper forwards and swing it so that it will contact your rim. A very devastating situation if the car is moving.

2) Rotor is fine, its not really "held" in by anything except when you tighten down the lug nuts on the wheel.

3) Dunno.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Yes, you should tighten that caliper bolt.

Yes, the rotor can be pulled of by hand (strong hands usually).

You should brake very gently for the first week or so with new pads to bed them in. They should never squeel, even when brand new. If they do, you didnt install them right.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks guys for the quick response, I will go back and tighten that bolt!
Hmmm, they squeal a little not too bad and not everytime, but i thought it had to do with the carbon metallic bedding with the rotor?

Maybe I didnt do it right though