4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone Have Problems with SKYLINE Body kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 09:13 PM

Anyone Have Problems with SKYLINE Body kit?

hey, just like the subject said, has anyone had any problems with the skyline body kit? or heard of anything that may be a bad thing about it? like does it fit well.... or is it thick fiberglass? durrable.... any help is appreciated..

Ben
Old 11-13-2002, 11:13 PM
living out of a maxima...

Re: Anyone Have Problems with SKYLINE Body kit?

look here and here
Old 11-14-2002, 08:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had my Skyline front bumperon for 3 weeks and i cracked it a couple days ago, all i did was hit a parking barrier thing at like 2 mph and it gave me a big ol crack.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NismoTam
I had my Skyline front bumperon for 3 weeks and i cracked it a couple days ago, all i did was hit a parking barrier thing at like 2 mph and it gave me a big ol crack.
That's terrible and for all that money, jeez.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:51 AM

Ant
Old 11-14-2002, 10:51 AM

It cracked that easily? Damn, even my Sarona won't crack that easily. I've hit plenty of curbs parking my car and it doesn't even chip the paint anymore (that's why there are 7 layers of clearcoat on the bumper)

The rear bumper is another story, my Sarona rear bumper will crack if I look at it wrong.

Old 11-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Do You have pics I would love to see the crack
Old 11-14-2002, 01:25 PM

the kit is like 1/8-1/4 inch fiberglass but i know some people who say they can add some reinforced frberglass behind the kit to strenghten it up a bit. and i had one hella time tryin to get the D**N thing to fit. the front rienforcment did not line up, then the top of the front bumper had to be shaved 1/4 inch to fit the trenz grill and headlight housings, the blinker lenses didnt wanna fit and finally i have to extend my exhaust 3 inches to be at least even with the rear bumper! but i think it looks great!
Old 11-14-2002, 01:26 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by Redmax

Do You have pics I would love to see the crack
could you also send me a sample? is it any good?

Old 11-14-2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by deezo
That's terrible and for all that money, jeez.
Especially after owning it such a short time too.

SuDZ
Old 11-15-2002, 09:50 AM

Re: Re: Anyone Have Problems with SKYLINE Body kit?

Originally posted by JeffesonM
look here and here
Thanks for you input... i'm going to go ahead and get the kit. I'll just have to be careful with it i guess.... Also, i did search but i couldn't find anything about how durrable it was...

Ben
Old 11-15-2002, 10:18 AM

this is ridiculous

why couldn't the makers of the type-s put more effort into their work!!!!! it's not like we have so many body kits to choose from like hondas atleast make this one fit right
Old 11-15-2002, 10:44 AM
SKY----------

Originally posted by Rufus
the kit is like 1/8-1/4 inch fiberglass but i know some people who say they can add some reinforced frberglass behind the kit to strenghten it up a bit. and i had one hella time tryin to get the D**N thing to fit. the front rienforcment did not line up, then the top of the front bumper had to be shaved 1/4 inch to fit the trenz grill and headlight housings, the blinker lenses didnt wanna fit and finally i have to extend my exhaust 3 inches to be at least even with the rear bumper! but i think it looks great!
i had the same problems.

Old 11-15-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: this is ridiculous

You do understand that no bodykit really fits well right? Honda body kits don't fit either. All it takes is 1/4"-1/2" deviation to make the kit fit really badly and you won't know until you install it. Even the Stillen kits don't fit that well. Look at them closely, there are always gaps. The problem is just compounded with fiberglass because you can't just heat it up and readjust it a little like you can with a Stillen kit.

The only fiberglass body kit that I've seen fit absolutely perfectly is the one on my friend's Lexus IS. And he paid $3600 for it and had it imported from Japan.

Originally posted by xsp00kyx
why couldn't the makers of the type-s put more effort into their work!!!!! it's not like we have so many body kits to choose from like hondas atleast make this one fit right
Old 11-15-2002, 11:38 AM

my goodness...
Old 11-23-2002, 05:44 PM
StillenMax32

Re: Anyone Have Problems with SKYLINE Body kit?

Originally posted by 99MaxOnDubsSE
hey, just like the subject said, has anyone had any problems with the skyline body kit? or heard of anything that may be a bad thing about it? like does it fit well.... or is it thick fiberglass? durrable.... any help is appreciated..

Ben
Yeah I just got my kit and I was sorta surprised with the thinness of the kit. However I am just reinforcing the frount and rear parts. The sides seem to be ok but the frount and rear are not too great. Just just be careful with it and all will be good !!!!

Old 11-23-2002, 06:09 PM

i really dont understand why manufacturers just make all their kits out of urathane......the increased cost excuse just isnt good enough, cause they can make it back......customers will usually pay the extra money for quality
Old 11-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Master Will

you only can expect so much from fiberglass....pefection will never happen from any mold....
Old 11-23-2002, 10:19 PM

I've had the same fitment issues w/ my car. had to actually remove peices off the steel frame of the car. but finally got it on, its all molded in w/ fusor, and painted, jus tryin to get a non rainy day to take some pics now
Old 11-23-2002, 11:22 PM

people can ***** all they want about the strength of the kit and the fact that it doesn't fit 100% but you know what... it sells for $1k. If you want a stronger, better fitting kit would you pay the extra $500 for it? 95% of the max owners on this board wouldn't - and they are the same ones *****ing about it.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:12 AM

It's a huge increase in cost and no small manufacturer can do it. But changes are in the works, more and more urethane kits are being pumped out for Hondas so it's only a matter of time before some get made for Nissans.

And Maxima customers will not pay the extra money for quality. Budget, Pacesetter, Maxspeed are only popular because they are the cheapest out there. All you ever hear now is "what's the best price for this?" Never "who makes the best part, cost doesn't matter" Everybody is willing to settle for good enough, and very few are willing to take that extra step and buy the best. That's why there will never be the same innovation that other cars achieve. Lately it looks like most of the new companies entering the Maxima market are just making cheaper versions of an already existing part, other than turbos, I can't think of anyone bringing a truly innovative product to the table.

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
i really dont understand why manufacturers just make all their kits out of urathane......the increased cost excuse just isnt good enough, cause they can make it back......customers will usually pay the extra money for quality
Old 11-24-2002, 12:48 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

that's bull****. I would, and more often than not, do pay for quality. I would be willing to pay the extra $500 to know that the body kit would not crack. You have to figure that spending $1000 in the first place, plus painting, plus installation.....just to have it crack? **** that.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:39 PM

Then I commend you, most people won't pay extra for the quality. If there were to be a urethane kit for $1500 and the fiberglass for $1000, most people would still take the fiberglass kit.

Originally posted by fearthegecko
that's bull****. I would, and more often than not, do pay for quality. I would be willing to pay the extra $500 to know that the body kit would not crack. You have to figure that spending $1000 in the first place, plus painting, plus installation.....just to have it crack? **** that.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:05 PM

my kit is beat to hell too.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:40 PM

I still think that the Stillen kit fits the best out of any kit out there... In fact, it fits so well it looks like the car should have come complete with the kit, or as an option... Next time you go out, look at the side and the bottom piece of the front bumper... It looks like there's supposed to be a piece there, but it's missing or something... The Stillen kit gets my nod for being the best out there, albeit a non-aggressive kit, i still think it's perfect for the Maxima... The only 'rant' i have with that kit is that the rear pieces look kinda funky, not going around the whole rear... The Skyline rear looks a lot better, but i don't know if it would go with the rest of the Stillen kit... In my opinion, the front Stillen w. Skyline sides/rear would be a killer combo if you want aggressiveness and durability because most of the hits will go to the front bumper piece and the Stillen one is very strong, while the sides/rear are still fairly aggressive looking (Skyline)... I think there's somebody on here with a white max that has that exact setup... Looks good IMHO...

LEMAR