4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Serious Problem....help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 07:24 PM

Serious Problem....help?

I was coming home from a friend's house last night and I was driving normal (sober of course) and almost all of a sudden....my engine revs to redline and at this point I cannot accerlate at all. I can press the clutch and put the shifter into any gear, but cannot get the car to move!? This seems like a reasonable question considering the severity of my dilemma!!! I am totally in shock of this, because I put some mmuch time into my Max, and I would hate to find out that my tranny is dead. Please leave some info and/or mechanical advice on what it is I am experiencing...
Old 11-16-2002, 07:36 PM
Sports Button FTW

wow....hmmm...i'm an idiot at these things but it sounds like heavy slipping...what's the mileage on your car and everything? you should leave info so we know what to work with...
Old 11-16-2002, 08:02 PM
Honda Convert!

wow ok here are a few things to check for.

1. Check to see if all the linkages for the throtle are ok
2. Check to see if the throtle plate is stuck open
3. Is there any kind of obstruction in the intake or did the intake come loose at all
4. You might stripped the clutch
5. Check all the linkaged connections for the shifter
6. Unplug the MAF turn the car all the way to ON but dont start it leave it like that for about 30sec then turn off then plug back the MAF

If none of those are the answer or fix it write me a pm and i see what else i can come up with

Bruce
Old 11-16-2002, 10:06 PM

the car still revs, but will not go into gear and move. Its's like this:
1. i put the clutch to the floor
2. press the gas a little
3. ease off the clutch
4. the car doesn't move!!!!
It's almost as if it can't get the tranny to "go." I know this isn't too technical of an explanation, but this is bascially what I am going through with my 96 Maxima SE 113,000 miles, but engine runs like new?!. The car won't move, and I had to have it towed to my house!!!!! this is really killing me....but i hope someone on the org can help me out as to what the heck happened!!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 01:35 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally posted by z30maxima
the car still revs, but will not go into gear and move. Its's like this:
1. i put the clutch to the floor
2. press the gas a little
3. ease off the clutch
4. the car doesn't move!!!!
It's almost as if it can't get the tranny to "go." I know this isn't too technical of an explanation, but this is bascially what I am going through with my 96 Maxima SE 113,000 miles, but engine runs like new?!. The car won't move, and I had to have it towed to my house!!!!! this is really killing me....but i hope someone on the org can help me out as to what the heck happened!!!!
If you have never had the clutch replaced it might need replacing if thats not it the fingers on the pressure plate might be worn or the relese fork might have come off the piviot point inside the tranny,if not that the release bearing might be worn and if none of those fix it im at a loss cause doing all of those should fix the problem.

Bruce
Old 11-17-2002, 09:54 AM

ok well, have i ordered a ACT clutch kit (street of course) and i have some hope that this will enable my max to be mobile once again!? I am so ****ed, but i can't can do anyhting about it! Anyone else think it might be a tranny problem? After installing the clutch kit I think I am going to go get Amsoil gear oil for the 5 spd tranny just to make me fel safer about the transmission. Thanks for all of your help, my car goes under the knife tomm.!
Old 11-17-2002, 09:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i bet he's outta hydraulic fluid. same thing happened to me. Just went dry for some reason.
Jae
Old 11-18-2002, 05:47 PM

hey thurznite, which hydralic fluid are you referring to? i am clueless as to what <hydralic fluid> and a <clutch> problem as this one has any bearing on the discussion....let me know what your talking about, one or two liners won't help...as you can still see my car is still at the shop now they're saying that they might not put the clutch kit in!!! can u believe that crap?! i am freakin livid, this place is supposed to be a repair shop, and all they want is to put some POS clutch in my max, hell no. Anyone know of a good place in tampa, fl?!!! i hate towing fees...
Old 11-19-2002, 07:35 AM

He is talking about the clutch fluid. There is a resivoir under the hood where you put hydroalic fluid for the clutch. I ma not sure cuz I have an automatic but I thik the resevoir is next to the brake master cylinder. The shop should put in your clutch kit. They eill not give you a warranty on the part. they should give you a warranty on the labor if something is f-ed up with the install.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:22 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Do you hear crunching when you try to shift the gears? What's the resistance like in the shifter? Does it feel normal?

Do you have a short-throw shifter? I doubt this is the problem, but it may be possible that the bolt that attaches the shifter to the tranny linkage might have fallen out and now the linkage is resting on top of the cat heat shield. This has happened before to other people.

Dave
Old 11-19-2002, 08:44 AM

hey thurznite, which hydralic fluid are you referring to? i am clueless as to what <hydralic fluid> and a <clutch> problem as this one has any bearing on the discussion....let me know what your talking about, one or two liners won't help...as you can still see my car is still at the shop now they're saying that they might not put the clutch kit in!!! can u believe that crap?! i am freakin livid, this place is supposed to be a repair shop, and all they want is to put some POS clutch in my max, hell no. Anyone know of a good place in tampa, fl?!!! i hate towing fees...
I'm not flaming. But if you don't know what clutch hydraulic fluid is, then you need to do yourself a favor and get a Haynes manual and read it from cover to cover. Knowledge is power.

Clutch fluid is what transfers the clutch pedal movement to the clutch itself. If you are out of clutch fluid, then it is impossible to disengage the clutch when shifting.

From what you describe, I don't think this is your problem. It sounds like your clutch started slipping something terrible. Clutch slip usually is a gradual problem, though, and you get plenty of advance warning, such as lack of power and engine revving when you accelerate, but it feels normal when you are at a steady speed. If you let it go long enough, then eventually the clutch goes out completely and you get the symptoms you describe.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:15 AM

""From what you describe, I don't think this is your problem. It sounds like your clutch started slipping something terrible. Clutch slip usually is a gradual problem, though, and you get plenty of advance warning, such as lack of power and engine revving when you accelerate, but it feels normal when you are at a steady speed. If you let it go long enough, then eventually the clutch goes out completely and you get the symptoms you describe"" Stephen Max
Yeah, that is what happened, and now I am stuck with the fact that my car is at a shop that won't put in my ACT HDMM clutch!?
He says it has to do with warranty on the labor, in such case it has problems...ummm is it me or is this guy being an a$$hole?! Anyone that knows any good clutch/mecanics in tampa, fl?.....
Old 11-20-2002, 05:37 AM

""From what you describe, I don't think this is your problem. It sounds like your clutch started slipping something terrible. Clutch slip usually is a gradual problem, though, and you get plenty of advance warning, such as lack of power and engine revving when you accelerate, but it feels normal when you are at a steady speed. If you let it go long enough, then eventually the clutch goes out completely and you get the symptoms you describe"" Stephen Max
Yeah, that is what happened, and now I am stuck with the fact that my car is at a shop that won't put in my ACT HDMM clutch!?
He says it has to do with warranty on the labor, in such case it has problems...ummm is it me or is this guy being an a$$hole?! Anyone that knows any good clutch/mecanics in tampa, fl?.....
It sounds like he is worried that an aftermarket clutch won't last as long as the OEM clutch, or that maybe he'll be blamed for the increased clutch chatter you get with the HDMM (compared to OEM).

See if you can agree to sign a waiver absolving him from any warranty issues. I would only do this if I trusted the mechanic to do a good job, though. Otherwise, you're going to have to call around for another installer.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:55 AM

Yeah, that's what it's gonna come down to...
1. trusting this shop (they did my a/c & exhaust work)
2. find another place...but where?
Is this a common problem with installing aftermarket clutch kits?
Short shifter is on the way after the tranny gets AMSOIL fluid in it, I am so cautious now about my max, and I don't wanna take too many chances without precaution...Thanks all! You've been very helpful!