4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

y-pipe install Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 01:32 PM

y-pipe install Q

OK, I need to go to the store and pickup replacement bolts for my 98 fed y-pipe (the old ones are rusted real bad. I know the two bolts against the cat are 14mm. Just wondering what the other 6 are so I can pick them up at the auto store. Also need to know which gasket to get. Yeah I know I shouldve checked it out while I was under there but I forgot. So if someone can tell me you'll save me the time of jacking the max up again...Thanks

shaz
Old 11-19-2002, 02:03 PM

I thought they were 14mm too.

SuDZ
Old 11-19-2002, 02:07 PM

all = same size

It was dark under my car though during the install so I might be wrong
Old 11-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Producto Colombiano

Re: y-pipe install Q

Originally posted by shaz
OK, I need to go to the store and pickup replacement bolts for my 98 fed y-pipe (the old ones are rusted real bad. I know the two bolts against the cat are 14mm. Just wondering what the other 6 are so I can pick them up at the auto store. Also need to know which gasket to get. Yeah I know I shouldve checked it out while I was under there but I forgot. So if someone can tell me you'll save me the time of jacking the max up again...Thanks

shaz
so you decided to install it yourself? great let me know how it turns out b/c i'm getting a y-pipe pretty soon.

thanks

btw Shaz is this you?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=new+britain
Old 11-19-2002, 03:01 PM

Re: Re: y-pipe install Q

Originally posted by libo74

so you decided to install it yourself? great let me know how it turns out b/c i'm getting a y-pipe pretty soon.

thanks
It is easy as long as you get those bolts free. From there on out it is cake.

SuDZ
Old 11-19-2002, 03:17 PM
Producto Colombiano

Re: Re: Re: y-pipe install Q

Originally posted by SuDZ

It is easy as long as you get those bolts free. From there on out it is cake.

SuDZ
that seems simply enough. sometimes people make it seem like it's the hardest mod to do....then again those cat bolts are a PITA from what i hear.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:12 AM

hmm ok a few things here. libo, I'm having a friend out in Torrington help me install my pipe. I WOULD have said yes that was my max you saw cause its looks exactly as you described except I took my rims off before the 11th so now I have my ugly *** hubbies on, so I guess it wasnt me.

Also, no one has answered my question yet I KNOW the 2 bolts against the cat are 14mm, I need to know the size of the other 6. And also the size of the gasket so I can pick it all up at autozone or where ever...

shaz
Old 11-20-2002, 06:48 AM

The nuts are all 14mm, but the studs are what you will have to worry about. If those break, you will have to get the remaining part out somehow (drill, torch, or vice grips), then either buy new studs, or stick a bolt through the hole with a nut holding it in place. Some of mine broke, (all but the front two) and I ended up using bolts and nuts.

Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by n2oMike
The nuts are all 14mm, but the studs are what you will have to worry about. If those break, you will have to get the remaining part out somehow (drill, torch, or vice grips), then either buy new studs, or stick a bolt through the hole with a nut holding it in place. Some of mine broke, (all but the front two) and I ended up using bolts and nuts.

Good Luck!
Thanks n2o
Old 11-20-2002, 08:13 AM

To avoid rounding the nuts off, you'll also want to be sure to use a 6-point wrench or socket. These sockets look like a hexagon where they fit over the nut, not like at 12 sided 'star' like a 12 point socket. The 12 point sockets just work on the outer corners of the nuts, and are more likely to round them off if it's particularly tight or rusted in place.

Use PLENTY of penetrant, and once it breaks loose, keep working it back and forth while spraying plenty of lubricant. Some of mine came off part way before breaking. Keep working and spraying as you go. I had access to a set of torches, so I wasn't all that careful.

A deep well 'swivel' socket, or a swivel extension is pretty much a necessity. A swivel extension is also a nice addition to any toolbox. These work really well, and can take the place of a whole set of swivel sockets as long as it doesn't need to swivel 'that' much. It's what I used on my car. The shorter ones are the handiest... as you can always add more extensions if something long is needed.

The end of the extension where the socket attaches looks like this

/ \
\ /

Instead of straight, like this

l l
l l

Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2002, 08:22 AM

None of the exhaust manifold bolts gave me any problems. The just required the swivel (mentioned above), but none were all that tight. (remove oxygen sensors before taking the mainfold bolts loose for more clearance)

The converter bolts were the biggest PITA. The front two eventually came loose, but the rear ones (that needed taken loose for the B-pipe install) broke.

Good Luck!