4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

which angel eyes set should i make... pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 04:40 AM
Administrator

I agree with dave.. they look nice and all.. but they are sitting in the middle of no where.. once you turn the head lights on they are going to look messed up.. because the beam starts in the middle of hte head light and they angel eyes are on ither side.. i would say get projectors before you do this

Originally posted by Weasel
You're going to put in random circles of light in your headlights that don't look anything like the reflector? Okay.... don't get me wrong, I think it would look great if the circles actually framed something.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
I agree with dave.. they look nice and all.. but they are sitting in the middle of no where.. once you turn the head lights on they are going to look messed up.. because the beam starts in the middle of hte head light and they angel eyes are on ither side.. i would say get projectors before you do this

SprintMax: You have any idea when the projector style headlights are coming out? How much you think that they will run?
Old 11-21-2002, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by SonicDust187
SprintMax: You have any idea when the projector style headlights are coming out? How much you think that they will run?
i dunno.. but with our fcked up beam pattern we need them badly.. thats one of the reasons i havn't bought HID's yet
Old 11-21-2002, 03:45 PM
Ludicrous Speed

nissan sentra 95-98 assembly with room for halos... http://images.cardomain.com/products...HNS95BCR_1.jpg

What steps could one take to make a mold? What materials are best suited for the temp of the headlights?
Old 11-21-2002, 04:07 PM

NICE! i'm interested
Old 11-21-2002, 04:17 PM

how did you shape that plastic rod? did u bake it the nquickly shape it around something like a metal cylinder? let me know
Old 11-21-2002, 04:24 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by maximabebe
how did you shape that plastic rod? did u bake it the nquickly shape it around something like a metal cylinder? let me know
yes, it's quite easy to bend. If it starts getting tougher, you can always put it back in the oven and it will become easier. I ended up using a glass jar to wrap around.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s

yes, it's quite easy to bend. If it starts getting tougher, you can always put it back in the oven and it will become easier. I ended up using a glass jar to wrap around.
any progress?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:03 PM

Idea time! What if you somehow attached the plastic ring into one end of the inside of a metal cylinder, then attached the other end of the cylinder over the headlamp bulb itself. You can use something like an aerosol can cut into shorter pieces with the label stripped off so it has a shiny chrome-like appearance on the inside and outside for reflection/refraction purposes. Affix the plastic ring on the inside with some high temp silicone. Hmmm, I'm gonna give it a try with a set of Freddie's purple Hanabi's.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Idea time! What if you somehow attached the plastic ring into one end of the inside of a metal cylinder, then attached the other end of the cylinder over the headlamp bulb itself. You can use something like an aerosol can cut into shorter pieces with the label stripped off so it has a shiny chrome-like appearance on the inside and outside for reflection/refraction purposes. Affix the plastic ring on the inside with some high temp silicone. Hmmm, I'm gonna give it a try with a set of Freddie's purple Hanabi's.
that's an awesome idea...so awesome that i went on illustrator and came up with this. Thanks for the initial idea...

What does everyone think? The horizontal mirror keeps light from shinning in between the 2 cylinders. The bulb doesn't show and has a reflector of its own on regular headlights, so there would have to be some type of assembly of mirrors and seals to keep the light from escaping and instead channeling it through the cylinders that way you could spraypaint everything on the outside black, just like the AE headlight concept.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:43 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by max002

that's an awesome idea...so awesome that i went on illustrator and came up with this. Thanks for the initial idea...

What does everyone think? The horizontal mirror keeps light from shinning in between the 2 cylinders. The bulb doesn't show and has a reflector of its own on regular headlights, so there would have to be some type of assembly of mirrors and seals to keep the light from escaping and instead channeling it through the cylinders that way you could spraypaint everything on the outside black, just like the AE headlight concept.
But would this decrease the overall amount of light getting thru even with all the shinny metal, I mean wouldn't the light be bouncing in different angles?
Old 11-21-2002, 11:58 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by jcy98maxse

But would this decrease the overall amount of light getting thru even with all the shinny metal, I mean wouldn't the light be bouncing in different angles?
I don't see why it would decrease light compared to the 4th gen stock assembly. In the case of the stock headlights, the bulb reflects in a cap that covers it, then it reflects onto the housing's many reflective pieces and then shoots out. In this case you contain the light so it doesn't bounce everywhere, just bounces into enough mirrors to shoot it out of the cylinder.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:00 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

I don't see why it would decrease light compared to the 4th gen stock assembly. In the case of the stock headlights, the bulb reflects in a cap that covers it, then it reflects onto the housing's many reflective pieces and then shoots out. In this case you contain the light so it doesn't bounce everywhere, just bounces into enough mirrors to shoot it out of the cylinder.
I dunno try it out and let us know if it works...
Old 11-22-2002, 12:36 AM

nice atempt at something new but i have to agree with some of the others. the eyes will look like they are just hanging out of no where. I think new headlights must be made before angels can look good on a maxima and not just be something different. Hope u do figure out some way to make it look god tho. May i suggest maybe only one ring per side and slightly bigger?
Old 11-22-2002, 12:59 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by jcy98maxse

I dunno try it out and let us know if it works...
I think i might try doing something this thanksgiving weekend. Maybe i'll go to the junkyard to find a spare set of headlights to work with. About the light loss, my current fog lights give more visibility than the headlamps so i won't miss them

Hey nadir, i'm gonna try to make a few of these myself. Any advice?
Old 11-22-2002, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
nice atempt at something new but i have to agree with some of the others. the eyes will look like they are just hanging out of no where. I think new headlights must be made before angels can look good on a maxima and not just be something different. Hope u do figure out some way to make it look god tho. May i suggest maybe only one ring per side and slightly bigger?
I'm done making them! I'm using one cylinder & ring per side. I took pictures last night but I still have 32 shots left on my camera before I can develop them. (Dam APS cameras) Anyways, My only issue would be trying to make them stick to the back of the headlight housing. This might be tricky. I used a can of Raid, lol, but hey...it's the cheapest mod I have dont yet. Nadir, thank your CRX buddy. If I was a woman I would......well, you get the point. I think this should look more than halfway decent with an HID kit in there, regardless of bulb color. I know that true HID bulbs burn a little cooler than stock headlights, but I'm wondering if it will still produce enough heat to melt the plastic ring. After all, I initially baked the ring in a 250 degree oven for 8 or 9 minutes to soften it up so i can bend it. I guess theres only one way to find out!
Old 11-22-2002, 08:59 AM

I'm done making them! I'm using one cylinder & ring per side. I took pictures last night but I still have 32 shots left on my camera before I can develop them. (Dam APS cameras) Anyways, My only issue would be trying to make them stick to the back of the headlight housing. This might be tricky. I used a can of Raid, lol, but hey...it's the cheapest mod I have dont yet. Nadir, thank your CRX buddy. If I was a woman I would......well, you get the point. I think this should look more than halfway decent with an HID kit in there, regardless of bulb color. I know that true HID bulbs burn a little cooler than stock headlights, but I'm wondering if it will still produce enough heat to melt the plastic ring. After all, I initially baked the ring in a 250 degree oven for 8 or 9 minutes to soften it up so i can bend it. I guess theres only one way to find out!
u need a digi-cam
Old 11-22-2002, 09:06 AM

get a write up!
Old 11-22-2002, 10:26 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Hmmm.... interesting idea.

I haven't taken apart the headlights yet. I was planning it to do this weekened when i dnd't need the car. I was talkin to a fellow ORG member and he thinks i won't have enough space for 2 rings. Well! the cool thing about this project is that if it doesn't look good or something, at least w/ the headlights apart i can paint the non-reflective part and make the AE style lights.

Anywho, the only advice i can give is just be careful when opening up the headlights... that's the major thing about em. THe acrylic rod and stuff are pretty cheap and if you screw up, you'll have plenty rod left to work w/.

I'm looking for really bright LEDs right now.... i tried some other LEDs but it wasn't that bright. I'm trying to find the right kind, then find a box of em online because each one seperate is like $3-$4... which means i need 8 white LEDs and 8 red ones.

I still think this mod will only look somewhat good on the 95/96 lights... the foggy-ness will hide the ghettoness lol. Good thing i didn't swap headlights too when i had my 97+ front conversion. This is my alternative to headlights.

Oh yeah, when you've molded the rod to a perfect circle, drill the lines in there... the acrylic rod is a hexagonal shape so only drill ONE side of it... like don't drill deep into it, just enough to make a small line on one side of it. When the light is shined from the gap in the circle, on the other side of the cut line, the light will be refecracted through all 6 sides. Good ole physics.

I will try to take pic by pic process of it myself.

Here is what i'm referring to when i'm talking about the "acrylic rod"... don't mind the crap quality, i used my webcam.

http://snow.prohosting.com/nsyed/stuff/acrylic_rod.htm
Old 11-22-2002, 10:54 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Hmmm.... interesting idea.

I haven't taken apart the headlights yet. I was planning it to do this weekened when i dnd't need the car. I was talkin to a fellow ORG member and he thinks i won't have enough space for 2 rings. Well! the cool thing about this project is that if it doesn't look good or something, at least w/ the headlights apart i can paint the non-reflective part and make the AE style lights.

Anywho, the only advice i can give is just be careful when opening up the headlights... that's the major thing about em. THe acrylic rod and stuff are pretty cheap and if you screw up, you'll have plenty rod left to work w/.

I'm looking for really bright LEDs right now.... i tried some other LEDs but it wasn't that bright. I'm trying to find the right kind, then find a box of em online because each one seperate is like $3-$4... which means i need 8 white LEDs and 8 red ones.

I still think this mod will only look somewhat good on the 95/96 lights... the foggy-ness will hide the ghettoness lol. Good thing i didn't swap headlights too when i had my 97+ front conversion. This is my alternative to headlights.

Oh yeah, when you've molded the rod to a perfect circle, drill the lines in there... the acrylic rod is a hexagonal shape so only drill ONE side of it... like don't drill deep into it, just enough to make a small line on one side of it. When the light is shined from the gap in the circle, on the other side of the cut line, the light will be refecracted through all 6 sides. Good ole physics.

I will try to take pic by pic process of it myself.

Here is what i'm referring to when i'm talking about the "acrylic rod"... don't mind the crap quality, i used my webcam.

http://snow.prohosting.com/nsyed/stuff/acrylic_rod.htm
I've taken the headlights apart many times as i've also done the AE style on other cars too, and some with projectors that would rather have the chrome part blackened out instead of buying the CF or gunmetal ones. I've done that so many times, it's what led me to that thought of creating ghetto projector wannabes except without the lens. As far as drilling, do you drill along one side of the hex shape that is facing out or does it matter? 8 LEDs, eh? That should come to about $20-30. Still not bad... Here's the write-up from the CRX dude http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/angel_eyes.htm
Old 11-22-2002, 11:32 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

I've taken the headlights apart many times as i've also done the AE style on other cars too, and some with projectors that would rather have the chrome part blackened out instead of buying the CF or gunmetal ones. I've done that so many times, it's what led me to that thought of creating ghetto projector wannabes except without the lens. As far as drilling, do you drill along one side of the hex shape that is facing out or does it matter? 8 LEDs, eh? That should come to about $20-30. Still not bad... Here's the write-up from the CRX dude http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/angel_eyes.htm
It shouldn't matter. Just follow the writeup in that crx writeup! I don't think i want to spend 20-30 bucks on LEDs tho, this is a GHETTO project, ghetto projects cost under 20-30 bucks TOTAL lol. I will find a way... and when i do, i'll let you guys kno
Old 11-22-2002, 11:35 AM

i like the second one better
Old 11-22-2002, 02:51 PM

Quick question Nadir....where d oyou plan on putting the LED's? Are they supposed to be somewheres right behind the circle so that they shine through the plastic so that when you look at the front of the car, you'll see the light behind the plastic? I'm still trying to figure out how to rig the wiring so it doesnt melt and so that it is obscured to look like a nice and clean install, despite the dull surface of our 95-96 headlamp lenses. My other obstacle is yet to figure out how to attach my cylinder around the bulb to the back of the housing. I'll let ya guys know. So far, so good, so what! Later.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:01 PM

Re: which angel eyes set should i make... pics

I would go for the second headlight conversion.... looks much better, after ur done post instructions man...good luck
Old 11-22-2002, 05:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Quick question Nadir....where d oyou plan on putting the LED's? Are they supposed to be somewheres right behind the circle so that they shine through the plastic so that when you look at the front of the car, you'll see the light behind the plastic? I'm still trying to figure out how to rig the wiring so it doesnt melt and so that it is obscured to look like a nice and clean install, despite the dull surface of our 95-96 headlamp lenses. My other obstacle is yet to figure out how to attach my cylinder around the bulb to the back of the housing. I'll let ya guys know. So far, so good, so what! Later.

Look at that link that's a couple posts up... you don't make a full circle when you bend the rod. You have to keep a gap at the ends and that's where you put the LEDs... in between that gap. The light travels as if the rod was a wire... like fiber optics.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:10 PM

Look at that link that's a couple posts up... you don't make a full circle when you bend the rod. You have to keep a gap at the ends and that's where you put the LEDs... in between that gap. The light travels as if the rod was a wire... like fiber optics.
update?