4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fog BULB replacement Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 04:56 AM

Fog BULB replacement Help!

Bought some bulbs but having problems installing. I've ran a search but the closest thing to helping is a site which seems to be dead:

<http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/foglight.html>

Can anyone help with instructions on how to install. From looking at the bulbs, I was begining to think what I have is the wrong size, but it says "H3" and comparing it to Customaximas h3 pics on his site, it looks like the same bulb, with the same funny little "curled" metal piece at the end of the wire. Our factor H3's don't look like that at the end of the wire, it is flat not "curled". Help!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:10 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Just follow the white string til you get to the end. There should be squarish metal piece at the end. Just give it a good pull and it will come out.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by amixam98
Just follow the white string til you get to the end. There should be squarish metal piece at the end. Just give it a good pull and it will come out.
Thanks amixam98!
Ok. Well after I get that piece off, how will the aftermarket bulb's piece fit if it ISN'T flat like the OEM bulbs are? This is the real head banger for me. Even if I get the OEM Bulb out, the Aftermarket piece doesn't look like it was made to fit, but it IS an H3 bulb.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:17 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Capitone

Thanks amixam98!
Ok. Well after I get that piece off, how will the aftermarket bulb's piece fit if it ISN'T flat like the OEM bulbs are? This is the real head banger for me. Even if I get the OEM Bulb out, the Aftermarket piece doesn't look like it was made to fit, but it IS an H3 bulb.
It is flat (I think it's called a connector). What you should do is look at your replacement so you know where to pull out the OEM light bulb. Your replacement should look the same as the OEM.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:04 AM

If you have your OE owners manual it's in there.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:07 AM

It is flat (I think it's called a connector). What you should do is look at your replacement so you know where to pull out the OEM light bulb. Your replacement should look the same as the OEM.

Ooooooooooh......You know...I don't have the fog bulbs in front of me to confirm, BUT, I think a flicker of understanding just materialized. I think I've been looking at what actually connects the bulbs all wrong. I tell you, little understanding goes a LONG way. Thanks Again amixam98. That just might do it!
Old 11-26-2002, 04:18 AM

Still having problems. That flat square piece on the OEM came out, but the "crimp" end of the Aftermarket (AM) is not fitting anywhere. Am I supposed to pull the crimp off of the AM bulb (exposing the bare wire) and replace it with the OEM bulb's flat piece? As it stands now just look'n at it, thats the only way it will fit?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:55 AM

I guess my question now is, Do they make different versions of the H3 bulb? Because from the looks of things, the version I have will not "mate" with the factory connection.

Anyone?
Old 11-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Capitone

Still having problems. That flat square piece on the OEM came out, but the "crimp" end of the Aftermarket (AM) is not fitting anywhere. Am I supposed to pull the crimp off of the AM bulb (exposing the bare wire) and replace it with the OEM bulb's flat piece? As it stands now just look'n at it, thats the only way it will fit?
Put the OEM next to the AM bulb and see if they match, which they should. You should have the squarish metal piece on the AM bulb which should slide right in.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:44 PM

Put the OEM next to the AM bulb and see if they match, which they should. You should have the squarish metal piece on the AM bulb which should slide right in.
Aww Sh*t, they don't match! The OEM has a "crimp" attached to wire, followed by the square flat piece, the AM fog only has the "crimp" and nothing else.....I've got to have a bum set of fogs. D*mmit!! I specifically asked the person who sold them to me, WILL THESE WORK FOR A MAXIMA?!!......Im taken em back this weekend. Thanks for the help, amixam98, but it's obvious what real problem is now.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871800643

Here's what a H3 should look like. It's the last picture.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:50 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871800643

Here's what a H3 should look like. It's the last picture.
That looks not quite like OEM but a Heck of a lot "flatter" than the AM's that I have. If my AM's looked like that pic, I think it would fit, but mine look more like these On Custommaxima's site. If you'll take a look a the tail on the ION Crystal (yellow bulb) and compare it to the blue bulbs(which look flat like OEM):

http://www.custommaxima.com/PiaaFogLight.htm

That is what my bulb looks like, the yellow ION's. Whats up with that?
Old 11-26-2002, 06:01 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The PIAA and Ebay bubls are exactly the same....

Did you damage the OEM H3's when you took them out?
Old 11-27-2002, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

The PIAA and Ebay bubls are exactly the same....

Did you damage the OEM H3's when you took them out?
No there not. Look closely. The blue bulbs tale is flat, while the yellow bulbs tale is bulky and "crimped" like what I have. It doesn't matter now either way, I took a trip up to Autozone yesterday to take a look at some more H3's and found that they all had this Flat square piece on the end of them. The bulbs I have do not. Somethings wrong, and Im taking them back to find out what. Perhaps they are damaged, but not by my doing. Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:39 AM

Adaptors!! I knew something was screwy! I called the seller of AM's and she tells me that I needed $1 adapters for these bulbs. This mysterious "crimp" I've been raving about is called a "bullet crimp". Apparently they use this sort of connect for H3's in another country or something. Well, now that I know Im not crazy, I'll just go ahead and purchase these adaptors. Thanks Again for all your help amixam98!!
Old 11-27-2002, 12:15 PM

Capitone, might I ask what kind of bulbs you have? I just got the PIAA H3 fogs, they're waiting to be installed....
Old 11-27-2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by TheSoundSoldier
Capitone, might I ask what kind of bulbs you have? I just got the PIAA H3 fogs, they're waiting to be installed....
There Eurolites Ion Yellow.