4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed Addco RSB -

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 12:33 PM

Installed Addco RSB -

Easy install. 8 bolts and you're done. I didn't remove the emergency brake bolts, don't see why you would.

My only concern is why the hell did I wait so long to get one of these? I put it off and put it off in hopes of an incredible deal. Well I finally got an incredible deal thanks to maxed out but I wish I had just bought one sooner. Anyone who's contemplating it, just do it! It makes me want to take on ramps and off ramps just for the sake of doing so. I love it. It's like a new car.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hell Yeah Man!

I have been wating to buy one of these so you have just changed my mind to go forth and buy it now. Sounds very good and worth the $120. Thanks.

-King Ryan-
Old 11-25-2002, 01:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I use to have one and I miss the flat cornering. Things I didn't like about the RSB was that it increased ride harshness (17lbs more unsprung weight on the beam) and it seemed to bind the trailing arms when turning over bumpy surfaces causing more of the "rocking" our Maximas are known for. The rear suspension feels like it's able to do more without the bar. It definately leans a lot more, but it seems to be more controllable. The RSB isn't near as noticeable with lowering springs.

Dave
Old 11-25-2002, 01:57 PM
JsL

Where do you guys get it for 120?
Old 11-25-2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
I use to have one and I miss the flat cornering. Things I didn't like about the RSB was that it increased ride harshness (17lbs more unsprung weight on the beam) and it seemed to bind the trailing arms when turning over bumpy surfaces causing more of the "rocking" our Maximas are known for. The rear suspension feels like it's able to do more without the bar. It definately leans a lot more, but it seems to be more controllable. The RSB isn't near as noticeable with lowering springs.

Dave
i havent gotten around to getting the RSB, i was wondering what it would be like with lowered suspension. also tying/binding up the rear causing the "rocking effect" doesnt sound like something i want. the ride is adequate for now. thanks for the info!
Old 11-25-2002, 02:09 PM

That's weird because I felt like with the RSB, the car didn't rock as much.

I had it with an unlowered car however.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:34 PM

I have mine on a Intrax lowered ride and it's great. It's definitely more noticable on a factory suspension but I've grown to COUNT on it now w/ my lowered suspension. I say get one!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 06:19 AM

My car is not lowered, and the rocking is eliminated. The best way to describe it is imagine taking a left turning on or off ramp at about 45mph. Just when you want to keep going like you're in a F1 car, the Maxima's rear left wheel feels like its going to come up and hit you in the left shoulder. Well, that feeling is gone. You can keep your foot on the gas and the car stays even in the back.

I mean, it doesn't turn a Maxima SE into an M3 with the turn of a few bolts, but it's about as good as it gets without major suspension tuning.

My next curiousity is would a rear strut bar be of any worth with this set up?
Old 11-26-2002, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by Bernie Lomax
My car is not lowered, and the rocking is eliminated. The best way to describe it is imagine taking a left turning on or off ramp at about 45mph. Just when you want to keep going like you're in a F1 car, the Maxima's rear left wheel feels like its going to come up and hit you in the left shoulder. Well, that feeling is gone. You can keep your foot on the gas and the car stays even in the back.

I mean, it doesn't turn a Maxima SE into an M3 with the turn of a few bolts, but it's about as good as it gets without major suspension tuning.

My next curiousity is would a rear strut bar be of any worth with this set up?
Wait a minute...I'm confused. I thought we were talking about RSBs (rear strut bars). If we're not, then what did you do Bernie?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I'm new here. Give me a break!!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:05 AM

RSB on this forum usually refers to rear stabalizer bar or rear anitsway bar. It goes underneath the car and attaches to the rear axle and trailing arms. A RSTB usually refers to rear strut tower brace. Hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:06 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Installed Addco RSB -

Originally posted by Bernie Lomax
Easy install. 8 bolts and you're done. I didn't remove the emergency brake bolts, don't see why you would.

My only concern is why the hell did I wait so long to get one of these? I put it off and put it off in hopes of an incredible deal. Well I finally got an incredible deal thanks to maxed out but I wish I had just bought one sooner. Anyone who's contemplating it, just do it! It makes me want to take on ramps and off ramps just for the sake of doing so. I love it. It's like a new car.
u know what's worst than that?

having it in your garage and not able to install because u don't have the proper tools to keep the car up and install...and car is lowered which makes it even harder without proper tools
Old 11-26-2002, 07:10 AM

Yeah, that helps. It might take a few days to pick up on the lingo.

So let me see if I get what Bernie was saying. He has the RSB (Rear anti-Sway Bar) and was wondering if the RSTB would help out even more.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:13 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

On an unlowered the Maxima, the RSB makes a HUGE difference. I completely agree. However once you start lowering the center of gravity, the RSB becomes less and less effective depending on your drop. When I had my Intrax with my Addco sway bar, the car felt planted, but a bit "skiddish" around bumpy turns. I could feel the rear beam working really hard (no noises). I took the bar off simply as an experiment and I immediately noticed the rear suspension working again. As I went around tight 90 degree turns at 25-35mph, the car turned in much quicker. It leaned marginally more, but the suspension was working as Nissan intended (excellent turn-in response). Another benefit was a softer ride because the nearly 20lb bar wasn't suspended from the rear beam. I've got H&Rs now (.4" higher in the back than Intrax) and my car does lean into turns slightly more, but it never feels out of control or tippy. I prefer a little more lean and a better overall feel of control vs a darty setup which sometimes can surprise you (oversteer). Motor Trend actually got better handling numbers without the RSB on the Stillen SC Maxima. They did note that the RSB Maxima did feel better though.

FYI, the beam does have a RSB for stock. It runs thru the middle of the beam (look underneath) and attaches to the trailing arms. The bar is actully very thick too at .75". Pretty much the beam is one big RSB.

Dave
Old 11-26-2002, 08:20 AM

Re: Re: Installed Addco RSB -

Originally posted by meccanoble
u know what's worst than that?

having it in your garage and not able to install because u don't have the proper tools to keep the car up and install...and car is lowered which makes it even harder without proper tools
You could have gotten two jacks and raised the car up. That's why me and 1hotmax did when we installed his RSB. Took my jack and took my jack, put them on each side and raised the car.

It was a little tight because he was lowered too, but we managed.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:37 PM

should i get it?

Originally posted by Dave B
On an unlowered the Maxima, the RSB makes a HUGE difference. I completely agree. However once you start lowering the center of gravity, the RSB becomes less and less effective depending on your drop. When I had my Intrax with my Addco sway bar, the car felt planted, but a bit "skiddish" around bumpy turns. I could feel the rear beam working really hard (no noises). I took the bar off simply as an experiment and I immediately noticed the rear suspension working again. As I went around tight 90 degree turns at 25-35mph, the car turned in much quicker. It leaned marginally more, but the suspension was working as Nissan intended (excellent turn-in response). Another benefit was a softer ride because the nearly 20lb bar wasn't suspended from the rear beam. I've got H&Rs now (.4" higher in the back than Intrax) and my car does lean into turns slightly more, but it never feels out of control or tippy. I prefer a little more lean and a better overall feel of control vs a darty setup which sometimes can surprise you (oversteer). Motor Trend actually got better handling numbers without the RSB on the Stillen SC Maxima. They did note that the RSB Maxima did feel better though.

FYI, the beam does have a RSB for stock. It runs thru the middle of the beam (look underneath) and attaches to the trailing arms. The bar is actully very thick too at .75". Pretty much the beam is one big RSB.

Dave
My suspension is in the mail ...(maxspeeds with kyb agx).. should get to me in a few weeks. i was forsure going to order the addco rsb to go alone with the lowering springs to "complete" the suspensions package..(already have fstb).. but after readign this thread im starting to wonder if it is worth is..anyone out there have a Maxspeed/AGX setup and has experience with and without RSB.. id really liek to know..i got no prob dishing out the 120..for the rsb.but if its gonna amke it worse.thats no point..thanks..