4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Supercharger or Turbo Kit for 4th Gens???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 05:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have been doing a lot of reading through the archives on FI because I am seriously considering it.

As I understand it the advantage of a SC over a turbo is instant power in the lower RPM while the turbo takes time to build power but offers much higher peak power. However since the stillen is essentialy a turbo driven by a belt you get the worst of both, it takes time for power to build but you do not get the top end of a real turbo. Looking at this dyno I can't see how any centrifugal type SC can compete with a turbo unless it is significantly cheaper or the Stillen is horribly designed.

Personally if I go with FI I want power that will be usable on the street. Extra low end power might be overkill in first gear but if I am rolling at 3K RPM in second or third gear I want to be able to step on the gas and feel it. At the track you are above this RPM for the entire time and not be able to use the low end gain but those who want a high RPM gain can go with the PFI turbo kit that produces more high RPM power at 4 PSI than the stillen does at 10PSI.

The Stealin SC lists at $3700 but can be bought for around $3200 if you shop around. If this new one lists at ~$3100 and offers similer discounts for group buys then I think we will be seeing lots of SC Maxes, probably including mine

Has anyone emailed the a link to this thread? I will drop them an E-mail to show my intrest and maybe send them a link to this thread also.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:59 AM
Father of the 00 VI

The one thing i know is centrafugal type supers are garbage for imports.These types of supers are designed for trucks,and muscle cars. The eaton with equal levels of boost will make our maxs alot faster! I emailed for eaton supercharger. price around $2750,please.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:13 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by krismax
The one thing i know is centrafugal type supers are garbage for imports.These types of supers are designed for trucks,and muscle cars. The eaton with equal levels of boost will make our maxs alot faster! I emailed for eaton supercharger. price around $2750,please.
I think you got it backwards bro. Maybe your Max is automatic, but 5spd Maxima's have very nice punch in first gear. Roots blower + Max 5spd + FWD = disaster. Stillen's Centrafugal is good becuase it builds boost gradually to redline, allowing you to retain some traction. If you get hit by the boost all at once you won't be able to hook up.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:02 PM

which one would result in a better quarter time, a s/c or turbo, in the and same max with same psi?
Old 11-28-2002, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Rufus
which one would result in a better quarter time, a s/c or turbo, in the and same max with same psi?
Probably Turbo, because u say at the same psi....the turbo is usually more HP to the wheel at the same HP as a superC