4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/C Compressor Troubleshooting help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002 | 02:19 PM

A/C Compressor Troubleshooting help

A while back I punctured a small hole in my A/C condensor while installing a tranny oil cooler. I had it repaired and just this weekend I got my system vaccumed and refilled with refrigerant. So when I went to turn on the A/C I noticed no cold air was coming out. The guy told me that everything was fine and there were no leaks but the compressor wasn't turning on. So my dad and I disconnected the harness that goes to the compressor and to make sure it (the compressor) worked we hooked it up direct to the battery. As it turns out the compressor does work...but theres no power at the harness. So I checked fuses and everything seems fine. Could it be a relay or something else? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2002 | 02:58 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

When you hooked up your compressor to the battery and the clutch engauged, did you check to see if at that point cold air started to blow? If the car wasn't on when you did that, go back and do it again with the A/C system on max cold.

If you don't blow any cold air, chances are you still have a leak and there's not enough pressure in the system. Your compressor will only engauge and run when there is enough R134 charge. Once you lose enough of that charge, a prsssure switch opens the circuit to the clutch.

If you do blow ice cold air, then maybe that pressure switch is defective. I think that switch sits in the high side someplace. Try to jump it and see if your system runs.

If the switch is open, or your system doesn't blow ice cold air, you'd better get some gauges on it and see what the pressures are.
Old 11-26-2002 | 07:41 PM

Yeah actually my dad was inside the car when I hooked up the compressor to the battery...and he said he felt the air get cold right away.

I checked the pressure with the compressor on and it reads 25psi. Which I think is sufficient. Im not sure where the pressure switch is but I'll see if I can find it and see if thats the culprit. But I still dont understand why Im not getting any power to that harness with one wire that connects to the compressor. Does that come from the pressure switch?