4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch (ACT) seems to be slipping with low mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 09:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Clutch (ACT) seems to be slipping with low mileage

I have about 3k miles if that on my ACT clutch (typical street setup). Yes the thing grabs like a monkeys fist if im shifting hard, but 90% of the time I'm doing normal street and highway driving. I haven't used it for autocross and don't street race at all anymore. The instances that I am experiencing are shifts into third-fourth-and espcially 5th gear at low rpms that seems to shudder at the moment of engagement resulting in a split second of hesitation. The rpm's don't rilly jump to insinuate actually slippage, but its sort of like a haulting on the acceleration right when the clutch engages. and its only at low rpms. The main question is does anyone else have this problem, and are there any other malfunctions that can sort of seem like clutch slipping but are engine/tranny related? I also have noticed a little bit of low end torque loss and don't know if that is related. I have hybrid intake, y pipe, 2.5" catback exhaust. Thanks
Old 12-02-2002, 10:13 AM
Administrator

my car hesitates at 2000 - 3000 rpms.. or there about.. i never really thought it woudl be the clutch.. because if i gun it from 2000 aleady in gear.. it does it too.. so i dunno..
Old 12-02-2002, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
my car hesitates at 2000 - 3000 rpms.. or there about.. i never really thought it woudl be the clutch.. because if i gun it from 2000 aleady in gear.. it does it too.. so i dunno..

thats exactly what i'm talking about. It will also do this when its already engaged and I'm accelerating from a low gear. 1st and 2nd rise above the 2-3k rpm mark to quickly to notice hesitation, but it is there with third gear and above. At least you have the same symptoms. Anybody know? By the way sprint, do you also have the ACT street setup?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes he does use the ACT street clutch and i too am planning on buying it soon. I don't really understand what you are trying to describe though? it worries me... I thought the act clutch was the best choice.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:40 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Hmm, I have the ACT and I don't have that problem... one thing I can think of, maybe because the ACT grabs so much better, you are noticing it more, rather than the slipping of the stock clutch?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Administrator

yeah i got an ACT clutch.. it wasn't really affecting anything so i just ingore it.. i never thought clutch though..

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!

thats exactly what i'm talking about. It will also do this when its already engaged and I'm accelerating from a low gear. 1st and 2nd rise above the 2-3k rpm mark to quickly to notice hesitation, but it is there with third gear and above. At least you have the same symptoms. Anybody know? By the way sprint, do you also have the ACT street setup?
Old 12-02-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
yeah i got an ACT clutch.. it wasn't really affecting anything so i just ingore it.. i never thought clutch though..

if not the clutch is there anything else you think it could be? I would like to hope it's not the clutch because I do like it very much, but this only started happening recently.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:23 PM

mine does the same thing.

Trevor
Old 12-02-2002, 01:20 PM

ok just bought mine... haven't installed it yet... did everyone do this themselves or did professionals do it for ya?

kinda curious why it does this too...

mike
Old 12-02-2002, 01:22 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Clutch (ACT) seems to be slipping with low mileage

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
The instances that I am experiencing are shifts into third-fourth-and espcially 5th gear at low rpms that seems to shudder at the moment of engagement resulting in a split second of hesitation. The rpm's don't rilly jump to insinuate actually slippage, but its sort of like a haulting on the acceleration right when the clutch engages. and its only at low rpms.
It sounds to me like the clutch jsut grabs really hard at initial engagement and gives a slight deceleration feeling. The stock clutch is a lot softer and the deceleration isn't as noticeable because it doesn't hit as hard.

My Max does this too and I don't have an ACT clutch. I think this is the downside of running an aftermarket intake with no resonators. The initial intake charge is a bit turbulent and probably gives the MAF a "fit" for a split second. It's not as dramatic in 1st and usually 2nd because the gears wind up pretty quickly.

Dave
Old 12-02-2002, 02:03 PM

Re: Re: Clutch (ACT) seems to be slipping with low mileage

Originally posted by Dave B

It sounds to me like the clutch jsut grabs really hard at initial engagement and gives a slight deceleration feeling. The stock clutch is a lot softer and the deceleration isn't as noticeable because it doesn't hit as hard.

My Max does this too and I don't have an ACT clutch. I think this is the downside of running an aftermarket intake with no resonators. The initial intake charge is a bit turbulent and probably gives the MAF a "fit" for a split second. It's not as dramatic in 1st and usually 2nd because the gears wind up pretty quickly.

Dave
Interesting point, makes a lot of sense. Are you a mechanical engineer by any chance dave? Now that I'm in school for Mechanical Engineering and am interning at one of GM's performance companies, you seem to present knowledge like the engineers here. Just wondering.

Anyone else have suggestions?