4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about front end alignment I had done

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question about front end alignment I had done

I had a front end alignment done about two weeks ago, because my car was drifting to the left. Well, now I can let the wheel go and the car goes straight, BUT the steering wheel is NOT straight - it is turned to the left a little bit (even though the car is still going straight). And it's not just a tiny bit - it's noticeable.

Why would it be doing this? was the alignment done wrong, or am I going to have to pay to have something else done to fix this new problem?
Old 12-02-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: Question about front end alignment I had done

Sounds like pilot error on the part of the technician. They are supposed to secure the steering wheel prior to doing the alignment. On my last (forever last) trip to NTB, they forgot to secure the wheel. Thus, my car drove straight but the wheel was at a 30-degree angle.

You should go back to the shop and have them re-align the car with the steering wheel secured and straight. It's pretty unprofessional of them to let you have the car like that... how can a technician who just aligned a car NOT notice the wheel crooked?

Anyway, good luck and try a different garage next time.

Ciao,
TOM
Old 12-02-2002, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll definitly be taking it back to have it re-done.

It was done at Firestone. I figured they were going to know what they were doing. Oh well
Old 12-02-2002, 09:40 PM
KFL

Re: Re: Question about front end alignment I had done

Originally posted by tom_98se
Sounds like pilot error on the part of the technician. They are supposed to secure the steering wheel prior to doing the alignment. On my last (forever last) trip to NTB, they forgot to secure the wheel. Thus, my car drove straight but the wheel was at a 30-degree angle.

You should go back to the shop and have them re-align the car with the steering wheel secured and straight. It's pretty unprofessional of them to let you have the car like that... how can a technician who just aligned a car NOT notice the wheel crooked?

Anyway, good luck and try a different garage next time.

Ciao,
TOM
It's called rookie mechanics and just plain lazyness partly. My friend took his to firestone it drifted to the left had it aligned still drifted.. took it back. they said its up to spec and bs about the tires. got money back. Went else where got it done right..
There's a steering wheel holder you place on the wheel which secures to the seat so it doesn't move when doing a alignment.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

My cars have been to firestone hundreds of times. Only one or two problems and they fixed them with no questions asked.

I always get the lifetime alignment. It has been really helpfull since I have done suspension work.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:58 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: Re: Question about front end alignment I had done

Originally posted by KFL

It's called rookie mechanics and just plain lazyness partly. My friend took his to firestone it drifted to the left had it aligned still drifted.. took it back. they said its up to spec and bs about the tires. got money back. Went else where got it done right..
There's a steering wheel holder you place on the wheel which secures to the seat so it doesn't move when doing a alignment.
yeppers what you said