4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Making My Intake, Any Sug.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:14 PM

Making My Intake, Any Sug.?

Hi there....well i was saving money to buy a frankencar or cattman intake, but i see me in the mirror and say...why not make my own intake. Well, i see is very easy.

1. 3" exhaust pipe
2. 1/2" mip adapter
3. brass adapter
4. 3" coupling adapter
5. k&n filter and maf adapter

mmm all that parts will cost my like $70 box, so do you have any suggestion or any detail that will help me? i will be carefully with the hose adapter, is should be very sealed to avoid the air lose.

I think the frankencar and other use the same parts but of course with more pro finished...but i think it will be almost the same sound, and HP-
Old 12-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I am guessing you are using these directions http://www.drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html

Only thing I can suggest is that I used JB weld on my fittings. Not really to hold them in place but to give a good seal. It's fairly easy to do. Just make sure you are cutting the pipe to the correct length. Since I was using a hacksaw it was the hardest part, would not want to have to re-cut.
Many Frankencar owners have seen my intake and were quite impressed. When it's all paintd and such it looks pretty much the same.

Mike D
Old 12-16-2002, 10:38 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Making My Intake, Any Sug.?

Originally posted by sebaxx
Hi there....well i was saving money to buy a frankencar or cattman intake, but i see me in the mirror and say...why not make my own intake. Well, i see is very easy.

1. 3" exhaust pipe
2. 1/2" mip adapter
3. brass adapter
4. 3" coupling adapter

mmm all that parts will cost my like $70 box, so do you have any suggestion or any detail that will help me? i will be carefully with the hose adapter, is should be very sealed to avoid the air lose.

I think the frankencar and other use the same parts but of course with more pro finished...but i think it will be almost the same sound, and HP-

well hopefully it will sound the same... cuz it depends on the materials and whatnot. I was thinking of making my own upper intake... but i went w/ frankencar because 1) price, and 2) testimonials. I had an idea that it would sound decent... well actually it made no sound difference for me lol. Anyways, good luck w/ ure project.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:04 PM

Re: Making My Intake, Any Sug.?

Originally posted by sebaxx

1. 3" exhaust pipe
2. 1/2" mip adapter
3. brass adapter
4. 3" coupling adapter

If you want to be really cheap

1. Remove the steel ring on the top of the factory air box
2. Bend steel ring so that it creates a small lip
3. Attach steel ring to maf and and wrap with electrical tape
4. Attach universal cone filter to small lip and tighten
Old 12-17-2002, 07:40 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Re: Re: Making My Intake, Any Sug.?

Originally posted by nadir_s

well hopefully it will sound the same... cuz it depends on the materials and whatnot. I was thinking of making my own upper intake... but i went w/ frankencar because 1) price, and 2) testimonials. I had an idea that it would sound decent... well actually it made no sound difference for me lol. Anyways, good luck w/ ure project.
Only improvement I got was a better looking engine bay.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mainly TAKE YOUR TIME......then spray paint it....
Here was mine:
ReD InTaKe!!!
Old 12-17-2002, 08:08 AM

Hey you guys know what size those bolts are from the MAF to the Cone filter adapter? Someone else on here needs to know.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:10 AM

You might want to check this out. The price is definitely right, and it's a COLD air intake as well. At $75, it's CHEAP too!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=174563

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2002, 08:32 AM

Well, it looks like we have the same thing going on as group deal for less total money from this site! There's a bit more information in the following thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=169132

Good Luck!