4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fog Light Installation on 95 GLE

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 10:42 AM
DHC
Newbie - Just Registered

Fog Light Installation on 95 GLE

I asked the local dealer if it were possible to install fogs on my GLE, hey weren't sure. I reviewed the Maintenance manual, looked at the wiring harness (all the plugs were there), and looked at the fuse box (the fuse was even there, but the relay was missing), so I ordered the interior wiper/light switch, and both Fog light assemblies.
Everything has been installed but the relay (mostly because no one was sure what relay to use).
In researching that when I was visiting an out-of-town relative, 'that' dealer mentioned there was a problem with simply adding the fog light system ‘bit pieced’ together as I did, and he mentioned a special kit. He mentioned it could possibly overload the computer and cause it to fail (something, I guess, about the current draw through the computer) and the kit solved this issue.

Does anyone have any info or have heard of this? Getting this info from the dealers is like pulling teeth.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-18-2002, 10:46 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

There's nothing wrong with pieceing together the kit. As long as you get all the parts in and it works, don't worry about it.

All that stuff about overloading the computer is BS. Go ask them which computer they are talking about. Then have them show you a wiring diagram from the Factory Service Manual that shows how this computer is connected to the fog lights...

At this point they will get very mean and possibly start yelling at you.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:45 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Te relay's easy.. just get a general-purpose automotive relay. They're the same as the horn fuses- you can take one of those out to see what it looks like.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:39 PM
V^___^V

i jus recently installed my universal fog lights, it simply wires through the battery and the controller goes through the fuse box... and later i'm gonna change to brighter bulbs, whole thing cost me nothin more than $30 =)
Old 12-18-2002, 06:46 PM
DHC
Newbie - Just Registered

Understand the fog lights that were installed are the "stock" Nissan lights, not an aftermarket or universal set.

I just took my car in for it’s 90K servicing, I posed my problem to them again, and after searching the web I found a couple of TSBs (NTB94-108 which was superseded by NTB96-060), the most current mentions a fog light kit (PN#: 999F1-7F000) for the 95 GXE & GLE. My problem is they couldn’t breakdown the parts within the kit so I could see if I had the recommended ones. ‘Up side’, they researched and had the relay so I’m having them install it. My logic (shaky as it is) is if it screws up something, they did it!
Should pick it up tomorrow, will reply with the outcome to finalize this issue for future folks to use.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:19 PM
V^___^V

Originally posted by DHC
Understand the fog lights that were installed are the "stock" Nissan lights, not an aftermarket or universal set.

I just took my car in for it’s 90K servicing, I posed my problem to them again, and after searching the web I found a couple of TSBs (NTB94-108 which was superseded by NTB96-060), the most current mentions a fog light kit (PN#: 999F1-7F000) for the 95 GXE & GLE. My problem is they couldn’t breakdown the parts within the kit so I could see if I had the recommended ones. ‘Up side’, they researched and had the relay so I’m having them install it. My logic (shaky as it is) is if it screws up something, they did it!
Should pick it up tomorrow, will reply with the outcome to finalize this issue for future folks to use.
oopZ...tat was mai bad
Old 12-18-2002, 08:28 PM
DHC
Newbie - Just Registered

No prob, just wanted to clarify…
Old 12-19-2002, 03:22 PM
DHC
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got home from picking up my car, the fog lights work just fine!! All they did was install the relay (the mechanic had an extra one he gave me) and no problem. Guess the stuff told to me before was BS. I’m assuming the “kit” referenced in the TSB would be cheaper than bit-piecing (but that may be a bad assumption), or at least it would include the relay too. So no problem…end of story.