4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Two new upgrades today! Tires and ooglie hyperground

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 05:41 PM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

Two new upgrades today! Tires and ooglie hyperground

I finally had some time today so I put on my ooglie hyperground system.

I want to thank Max97SE for sending his pictures of his hyperground job.

I bought the wires from Wal-Mart and Pep Boys. I didn’t need a new battery Terminal, I just added the wires to the existing terminal.

Changes? Yes! The stereo played much better and I heard bass for the first time from my stock (non-Bose) system. CD’s sounded crisper. To make sure I wasn’t caught up in the hype, I asked my wife to play her usual CD’s in the car. She agreed that the sound was much clearer and that low frequencies could be heard. I really can’t tell if it changed anything else (maybe brighter lights) but the car does seem more responsive.

Of course, it may seem more responsive because I also got my Dunlop Sport A2’s installed today! What a difference! My older tires were so bad I thought I was going to have to get new shocks/struts. After riding with the A2’s every bump was smooth and the road noise from my previous tires disappeared. My CD no longer skips when I hit heavy bumps. I am a very happy person right now! I will be taking a trip to Louisiana to go gambling this week so I’ll get a chance to see how they do on a long highway trip. Plus I’ll get a chance to test the MPG increase/decrease with the new ooglie hyperground install!

Boo
Old 12-23-2002, 06:34 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

haha cool. So the hypergrounds work for you huh? Blah, my hyperground didn't do the car any good. Were your ground points really dirty or something?? Anyways i'm glad it worked for ya!
Old 12-23-2002, 10:02 PM

Was your hyperground system, the ooglie type or the actual hyperground kit? The benefits of the actual hyperground kit cannot be duplicated with ordinary ground wire...
Old 12-23-2002, 10:08 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Yeah, because that extra $100 you pay for the hyperground makes all the difference right? It's the same thing, adding so called 'shielding' doesn't do a thing for HP, not on a wire less than 3 ft long.

Originally posted by Gotrice4
Was your hyperground system, the ooglie type or the actual hyperground kit? The benefits of the actual hyperground kit cannot be duplicated with ordinary ground wire...
Old 12-23-2002, 10:15 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

actual or ooglie version of it... i still think it's a shadey mod all together. It should be the last do-able mod on your list.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
actual or ooglie version of it... i still think it's a shadey mod all together. It should be the last do-able mod on your list.
I did my own ground wires just for fun and I did notice some things, the car starts up alot faster, engine doesnt shake as much while idling in drive. and my GF says my interior lights are brighter. Not shure about the stereo though.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by mtrai760
Yeah, because that extra $100 you pay for the hyperground makes all the difference right? It's the same thing, adding so called 'shielding' doesn't do a thing for HP, not on a wire less than 3 ft long.
The extra $100 buys you much greater placebo effect...
Old 12-24-2002, 07:02 AM
boo

Originally posted by nadir_s
haha cool. So the hypergrounds work for you huh? Blah, my hyperground didn't do the car any good. Were your ground points really dirty or something?? Anyways i'm glad it worked for ya!
Thanks,

The grounds were a little dirty so I sanded where I could.
I paid about $20-22 bucks for the wiring so just the change
in better sound is worth it to me.

As I said before I still really don't notice any other
changes from the hyperground it's the Dunlop Sport's that
I'm really enjoying!

boo
Old 12-24-2002, 08:07 AM
I'm so hood

Just because you personally might not have felt/seen any difference doesn't make something a "shady mod". What's shady about a mainly-preventative maintenence job that CAN cost ~$20 and a bit of time (I can see maybe the actual hyperground with higher prices not being worth it)?
That's like calling out throttle body cleaning as shady just because in one car, it wasn't really dirty in the first place, so there weren't any noticable changes.

Boo - how much did the A2s run you? If I still have the max when it needs new rubber, it'll prolly be A2s.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:57 PM
boo

Originally posted by blizz20oma

Boo - how much did the A2s run you? If I still have the max when it needs new rubber, it'll prolly be A2s.
$106 at Discount Tire. They price matched the $88 from Tire Rack and added what the shipping would cost plus Mount and Balance!

boo
Old 12-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Nismo

I did my own ground wires just for fun and I did notice some things, the car starts up alot faster, engine doesnt shake as much while idling in drive. and my GF says my interior lights are brighter. Not shure about the stereo though.
"idling in drive....." Whats that?

Couldnt resist

So you used regular starter wires?
Old 12-24-2002, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by boo

$106 at Discount Tire. They price matched the $88 from Tire Rack and added what the shipping would cost plus Mount and Balance!

boo

You might want to play around with the air pressure in your A2's. I've only had mine 1 week and noticed that they are very soft, but squirrelly handling to me with 32f/29r pressure. Right now I'm running 38f/35r which is fine on the highway. That seems a little stiff, but the handling came back. Thinking about going to 36f/32R.
Congrats on the new tires!!
Old 12-24-2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

"idling in drive....." Whats that?

Couldnt resist

So you used regular starter wires?
automatic- shifter in drive but stopped at a light. the engine used to vibrate more but now its smooth.

I used 6ga for the ground points, 4ga for the battery to chassis and to the distrubuter block that connects all the 6ga into one 4ga to the batt.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:24 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Nismo

automatic- shifter in drive but stopped at a light. the engine used to vibrate more but now its smooth.

I used 6ga for the ground points, 4ga for the battery to chassis and to the distrubuter block that connects all the 6ga into one 4ga to the batt.
Sweet Probably no difference from the 120 buck ones........maybe not as "pretty"
Old 12-24-2002, 07:51 PM

hypergrounding worked in my bro's 2k max se 5sp modded. i don't understand the rebuttle of "your wires are old" cuz his car's still pretty darn new and the contact points were already clean. Most notable change is the quicker pickup in 5th gear above 65mph and deeper exhaust note (he's got stillen intake, cattman Y, custom 2.75" mandrel catback piping and Apexi RS).

Enjoy the A2's...I took them off my bro's 93 SE 5sp (yes, there's 3 5sp maximas in the family) and put them on my 97 GXE 5sp. I'm taking a road trip and might encounter some bad weather, so his new A2s are better than my worn goodyears

Jae
Old 12-24-2002, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by PLUMMAXSE

You might want to play around with the air pressure in your A2's. I've only had mine 1 week and noticed that they are very soft, but squirrelly handling to me with 32f/29r pressure. Right now I'm running 38f/35r which is fine on the highway. That seems a little stiff, but the handling came back. Thinking about going to 36f/32R.
Congrats on the new tires!!
Soft? now I don't really like tires too soft. I was planning to get the A2s in a couple of years after my Potenza RE730s are bald (btw, these tires are STIFF!). Has anyone had an in-car experience with both the A2s and the RE730s? I'm curious to know how they differ. thanx.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by TurDz

Soft? now I don't really like tires too soft. I was planning to get the A2s in a couple of years after my Potenza RE730s are bald (btw, these tires are STIFF!). Has anyone had an in-car experience with both the A2s and the RE730s? I'm curious to know how they differ. thanx.

Update on the SP A2's, Looks like 36front/32rear is the best setup for me.(99SE-L,5sp,no mods) I had a chance to take her backroading with that pressure. She felt glued to the road and that squirelly feeling was gone. Great tires. That's a 10% tire pressure increase.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
hypergrounding worked in my bro's 2k max se 5sp modded....and deeper exhaust note
Um...deeper sound as a result of the ground wires?
not sure that's possible...

FLO_BOY
Old 12-26-2002, 03:14 PM

cool cool. Someone's gotta help me with my wiring! Argh. I'm not a wiring person!
Old 12-26-2002, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Lime
cool cool. Someone's gotta help me with my wiring! Argh. I'm not a wiring person!
basic crimping and screwing is all you need. Actually, the hardest part is to make the install look clean. Ill take a pic of how I wired mine if you want to copy my setup.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by FLO_BOY

Um...deeper sound as a result of the ground wires?
not sure that's possible...

FLO_BOY
yeah, definitely different sounding. Wish I had some sound clips of before/after, but even the neighbors can tell and we didn't tell them about the hypergrounding. Nothing else was changed (same tank of gas, driving style, etc)

Jae