4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Creaking Scraping Noise Under Right Front End?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Creaking Scraping Noise Under Right Front End?

Actually I have two questions about my 1999 Maxima SE.

#1 I sometimes hear a scaping creaking noise somewhere towards the right front end. Once while driving on the freeway, I heard a bump sound then smelled burning rubber briefly. Didnt affect my driving or handling of the car, but it did happen. What possibilities are there re: this problem?

#2 The car has occasionally (which is the problem with dealership pinpointing the problem) popped out of third gear and into neutral. Last time was a few months ago, but it happened on the freeway and I was almost rear-ended. Each time it has happened I was entering the freeway and accelerating. Sometimes while driving I can feel the car slightly "bog down" like its not getting fuel or about to pop out of gear again, then it proceeds to drive normally.

I'm having a hard time getting any results from repair shop since these are intermittent problems they NEVER HAPPEN when car is there for checkup. But I need to know if some more experienced folks this is serious or not.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Creaking Scraping Noise Under Right Front End?

Originally posted by Da Coop
Actually I have two questions about my 1999 Maxima SE.

#1 I sometimes hear a scaping creaking noise somewhere towards the right front end. Once while driving on the freeway, I heard a bump sound then smelled burning rubber briefly. Didnt affect my driving or handling of the car, but it did happen. What possibilities are there re: this problem?

#2 The car has occasionally (which is the problem with dealership pinpointing the problem) popped out of third gear and into neutral. Last time was a few months ago, but it happened on the freeway and I was almost rear-ended. Each time it has happened I was entering the freeway and accelerating. Sometimes while driving I can feel the car slightly "bog down" like its not getting fuel or about to pop out of gear again, then it proceeds to drive normally.

I'm having a hard time getting any results from repair shop since these are intermittent problems they NEVER HAPPEN when car is there for checkup. But I need to know if some more experienced folks this is serious or not.

#1 Check the wheelwell and make sure nothing is lose that can rub against you tire at hiway speeds. I had a friend with the same problem, it happened to be the lining of the wheelwell was loose and it looked fine when parked but at hiway speeds the wind pushed this loose piece back far enough to make contact with the wheel.

#2 You clutch is slipping, time to invest in a new one. Quickly!