4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

F***ing Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Beast Mode!!!

F***ing Alternator

Pretty ****ed/discouraged. I got my 60K mile tune up, along with a replaced CV boot and a cleaned TB (got ripped on the TB). However, I went in under the impression that my car would get the new alty, since the lady at the service dept. said my VIN was in range. Maybe she didn't hear right over the phone.

Anyway, after a new battery (my old one was dead) and $640, I have a much faster, but undriveable Max. That tune-up turned it from "Gee, this car's faster than your mom's van" to a rocket. So this is the Maxima everyone's raving about. It's so the alternator it hurts; the lights dim at low revs, and there's a burning smell right near the belts that I can smell after I get out of the car and after the car's been running for a while. My last battery died AFTER 6 MONTHS ...I think the alty drains it even when the car is off, maybe. Of course, my $60 is safe, since the circuit is open...IOW, the negative terminal is disconnected.

So my question is, what to do now? Genuine Nissan parts and services hurt the wallet as I learned today, although I feel a lot safer in my car than I did a week ago...somewhat (CV boots!). There is an Autozone and a Pepboys about a mile from my house, I heard one of them can check my charge/current flow for free (although I don't like the idea of driving a ticking time bomb). Can they also replace my alternator for less than what Nissan would charge? Is replacement something I can do myself (i.e. removing a few belts, bolts...not removing an engine, etc.) Do you think the recall will expand to all 4th gen years? AHHH so much stress...the only (literal) silver lining to this burnt-rubber smelling, battery draining dark cloud is that in the meantime I get to drive the (silver/tan leather) I35. However, SHIFT_withdrawal is no fun, no fun at all. What can I (we also, being other non-recall alty burnouts) do?

-95SE
Old 12-30-2002, 06:11 PM
pmg

yeah have autozone check your alternator for free. I'm sure you need a new one. They can't fix it though. You'll pay big if the dealer does the alternator. I don't know how hard it is. I got a remanufactured alternator for my wife's old corrola once for about $90 and my dad and I put it in. It was a pain though because all the AC tubing was in the way of the bolt we had to remove. Search the ORG for install instructions.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:35 PM
CaLSoNiC

If your VIN is in range... they dealer will do it for FREE...

Old 12-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Beast Mode!!!

VIN in range?

It's not.

-95SE
Old 12-30-2002, 07:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CaLSoNiC
If your VIN is in range... they dealer will do it for FREE...
what's the vin # range... if i am in it.. i'm gonna get my changed this weekend!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:49 PM

i have been trough 5 alternaters
Old 12-31-2002, 07:05 AM

Go to another dealer! Tell them the alternator smells like it's burning and it's a defect. Take out any major audio equipment though. You don't want to give them any excuse not to fix it. I got my alternator fixed for free before the whole alternator recall thing. But then again, my alternator caught fire and the car was flatbedded to the dealer. =P

Bottom line is. If you have a 97 maxima or mayeb even 98, and you're smelling a buring smell and you hear lots of whine, lights dim.. etc etc.. You're going to have a failure soon! And it's not your fault! They should fix it. If you're in the NYC area, Koeppel Nissan fixed mine for free. They even replaced my battery. But this was before 50k though. So maybe you're out of luck if you have more than 50k. =(
Old 12-31-2002, 07:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Go to another dealer! Tell them the alternator smells like it's burning and it's a defect. Take out any major audio equipment though. You don't want to give them any excuse not to fix it. I got my alternator fixed for free before the whole alternator recall thing. But then again, my alternator caught fire and the car was flatbedded to the dealer. =P

Bottom line is. If you have a 97 maxima or mayeb even 98, and you're smelling a buring smell and you hear lots of whine, lights dim.. etc etc.. You're going to have a failure soon! And it's not your fault! They should fix it. If you're in the NYC area, Koeppel Nissan fixed mine for free. They even replaced my battery. But this was before 50k though. So maybe you're out of luck if you have more than 50k. =(
Did you just call the dealership and schedule an appointment or they sent you a letter? My VIN falls into the range but I don't trust the dealerships in Brooklyn.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:49 AM

They told me to just come in. Didn't have to schedule anything. I had my car there at 6:30am. Picked it up at 4pm. Koeppel is very good. They didn't give me crap about my mods either. I remember a member brought his SCed max there and got no hassles from Koeppel. I usually buy my OEM parts from them too.

I know what you mean about the dealerships! I took my car to Star Nissan in queens and they told me nothing was wrong. Even after I told them I saw smoke. They said my belts needed adjusting and they charged me for it!!!! Then a short time later, I started the car and heard "pop", opened the hood and saw flames in the alternator.

Took the car to Koeppel and they replaced my alternator and replaced my battery for free.

Originally posted by SonicDust187
Did you just call the dealership and schedule an appointment or they sent you a letter? My VIN falls into the range but I don't trust the dealerships in Brooklyn.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
They told me to just come in. Didn't have to schedule anything. I had my car there at 6:30am. Picked it up at 4pm. Koeppel is very good. They didn't give me crap about my mods either. I remember a member brought his SCed max there and got no hassles from Koeppel. I usually buy my OEM parts from them too.

I know what you mean about the dealerships! I took my car to Star Nissan in queens and they told me nothing was wrong. Even after I told them I saw smoke. They said my belts needed adjusting and they charged me for it!!!! Then a short time later, I started the car and heard "pop", opened the hood and saw flames in the alternator.

Took the car to Koeppel and they replaced my alternator and replaced my battery for free.

Do you have their number. I want to give them a call.