4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Inexpensive but good Shock/spring combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 10:13 PM

Inexpensive but good Shock/spring combo

i have a 5th gen (i already used the search so im postin a thread). my friend owns a 95 maxima. he wants to get his max lowered..he has like 113,000 miles. he wants springs and struts. what else might he need? he has a pretty low budget..please post..cheap but good springs and struts. would he need dust boots too or whatever from nissan?? i know maxspeeds are pretty popular for 4th gens on the org..
thanks alot.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Ramius83

Well, the only way you are gonna get a GOOD spring and strut combo CHEAP, is to find a used set. At this time, the only good reputable adjustable strut that is popular is the KYB AGX. If he is gonna get any strut for the Maxima, I would just get the AGXs because of their adjustability and the ease of use. Granted they are more money, try to convince him to go this route. A set of those shipped will run you about $375.00. And a good spring would be the Sprints, B&Gs, Eibachs, etc. If he wants a cheap way out of this, he could just get the springs and put them on the stock struts. But, it will only be a matter of time before they blow out. So, he might as well save up for the struts and kill two birds with one stone and save some time in the future.......

Old 01-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Raf you may be in luck brutha....
Old 01-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Raf you may be in luck my brutha...

I have a brand new set of Tokico Blue's & Sprint springs (both new in the box.) I am selling them both as a package for $500 (shipping a lil bit extra pending your whereabouts.) Anyways I am in CT and have them ready to ship TODAY. Let me know if you are interested. The reason why I don't want then is because I'm selling my 95 SE, which reminds me, I also have more stuff for sale , but slightly used. E-mail for details.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:44 AM

if he is on a budget get kyb gr2 struts and sprint springs
Old 01-05-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
if he is on a budget get kyb gr2 struts and sprint springs
hmmmm...gr2 with maxspeeds arent bad..
thatll run him about 270 + 100 = 370
not bad at all
Old 01-05-2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by maximabebe
Raf you may be in luck my brutha...

I have a brand new set of Tokico Blue's & Sprint springs (both new in the box.) I am selling them both as a package for $500 (shipping a lil bit extra pending your whereabouts.) Anyways I am in CT and have them ready to ship TODAY. Let me know if you are interested. The reason why I don't want then is because I'm selling my 95 SE, which reminds me, I also have more stuff for sale , but slightly used. E-mail for details.

If I read it right, he said he's shopping for parts for a 5th gen?

If budget is of concern and the car is not intended for the track, go with the KYB GR2 struts/shocks & a spring of your choice. Don't bother with the AGX's - even though they're a fine value, you may be paying extra for performance/adjustability you'll never use.

(I have AGX's, but my car gets raced on auto-x & high-speed roadcourses every now & then, so I like the adjustability). If mine were a street-car only, I'd def. have the GR2's. Great strut, great value. Slightly firmer than stock. The Tok's aren't bad either, but my pref. is for the GR2's between those options.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

If I read it right, he said he's shopping for parts for a 5th gen?

If budget is of concern and the car is not intended for the track, go with the KYB GR2 struts/shocks & a spring of your choice. Don't bother with the AGX's - even though they're a fine value, you may be paying extra for performance/adjustability you'll never use.

(I have AGX's, but my car gets raced on auto-x & high-speed roadcourses every now & then, so I like the adjustability). If mine were a street-car only, I'd def. have the GR2's. Great strut, great value. Slightly firmer than stock. The Tok's aren't bad either, but my pref. is for the GR2's between those options.
thanks man. yeah its for my friends 95 max. i heard good things about the GR2. he doesnt race much..he might drive faster than normal on the highway and he pushes it once in a while..but not allll the time. so yeah..im pretty sure the GR2's are fine for him. anyone know the drop the maxspeeds give?? ebay says about 2 inches...thas a lil tooo much for NYC.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:01 PM

Check out my homepage for a pic of the drop with MaxSpeed's. I do have a slighly shorter sidewall on my tires so that makes the drop look less.

Peace.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Raf2kMax

thanks man. yeah its for my friends 95 max. i heard good things about the GR2. he doesnt race much..he might drive faster than normal on the highway and he pushes it once in a while..but not allll the time. so yeah..im pretty sure the GR2's are fine for him. anyone know the drop the maxspeeds give?? ebay says about 2 inches...thas a lil tooo much for NYC.
'95 = 4th GEN

Might want to edit your 1st post so people don't get confused.

Old 01-08-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83
At this time, the only good reputable adjustable strut that is popular is the KYB AGX. I would just get the AGXs because of their adjustability and the ease of use. Granted they are more money, try to convince him to go this route. A set of those shipped will run you about $375.00.
Anyone looking for KYB AGX's...

$346 shipped anywhere in the lower 48

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1876666916

This guy is from the east coast, there's another guy that does the same 'dutch' auction on the west coast. Both have had good feedback on these struts.

Good Luck!