4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Daniel B. Martin (or anyone else)...I've got a tranny problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 07:53 PM

One of the guys on the general board suggested asking you this question...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by The_quorum
I think my car is falling apart. I've got almost 80k on it now, had it for a year and a half. So last week the auto is starting to shudder when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd; BUT only when you accelerate "slowly" (it doesn't do it if you just mash the gas). It's a 1-2 second "bumpy" noise/feel (best I can describe it). Like it's missing the gear, then locks in place. Upshifting doesn't seem to have problems. And it does not do it if I try to manually downshift to 2nd and accelerate. Only if it tries on it's own. Fluid level is ok, no leaks that I can tell.

Any ideas? it's doubtful, but someone tell me that a cheap tranny additive can fix this... What pisses me off is that I hust had the tranny serviced (flushed) about 3 months ago as maintainance to keep this sort of thing from happening.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would post this thread on the 4th gen site and ask Daniel B. Martin specifically. Ask for his help in your thread title.
Old 01-04-2001, 08:39 PM

Good Job Quorum....

He's not logged on right now, but that's ok. He'll see this if you keep checking it out for the next couple of days and bring it back to the first page. He is really good at helping out others with max problems and questions.

He needs to change his nickname to "Brain".

That was meant as a complement Daniel...

Old 01-05-2001, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by The_quorum
I think my car is falling apart. I've got almost 80k on it now, had it for a year and a half. So last week the auto is starting to shudder when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd; BUT only when you accelerate "slowly" (it doesn't do it if you just mash the gas). It's a 1-2 second "bumpy" noise/feel (best I can describe it). Like it's missing the gear, then locks in place. Upshifting doesn't seem to have problems. And it does not do it if I try to manually downshift to 2nd and accelerate. Only if it tries on it's own. Fluid level is ok, no leaks that I can tell.

Any ideas? it's doubtful, but someone tell me that a cheap tranny additive can fix this... What pisses me off is that I hust had the tranny serviced (flushed) about 3 months ago as maintainance to keep this sort of thing from happening.
My own Maxima is a 5-speed, so I turned to the factory service manual for guidance... and struck out. The FSM has a three-page Automatic Transmission Trouble Diagnosis table but none of the listed symptoms matches your experience. However, you report a shift feel which is different with part throttle versus wide open throttle. This is a valuable clue, pointing to the Throttle Position Sensor. The TPS influences the operation of the automatic transmission. You will find instructions for testing and adjusting the TPS in Chilton (pages 4-18,19) and Haynes (pages 6-8,9). This procedure requires nothing more sophisticated than an ohmmeter.

Changing the ATF as a preventive measure was a good idea but it cannot guarantee against future trouble, nor can it replace worn friction materials. You are not the original owner of this Maxima, and previous owners may have abused the transmission. You may have heard horror stories about mistreatment of leased cars.

Changing the ATF cannot influence external controls such as the TPS.

There are several tests you can make with the fluid on the transmission dipstick.

1) Level. It should be up to the full mark. If not, add as required.

2) Color. It should be bright red and translucent. If it is brown or black that is a bad sign.

3) Odor. It should have a clean oily smell. If it smells burned that is a bad sign.

4) Feel. Wipe the dipstick with your fingers and then rub your fingers together. It should be smooth and slippery. If you feel any grit that is a bad sign.
Old 01-05-2001, 08:19 AM

This might sound dumb, and I apologize, but did you check the ATF while the car is running? When the ATF is at the normal level, it should seem way full (way over the full mark) when the car is off, but when the engine is running, check the ATF again and it will be within the normal range. So, if you've been checking the ATF when the engine is off, and it appears to be in the normal level, you are actually low on ATF.