4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Never let my sister drive your car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 04:10 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Never let my sister drive your car.

Pictures: http://students.clarku.edu/~dsperber/car/

Basically, my sister was turning left at an intersection in my car. The street she was turning from had two lanes going in each direction, and the person in the inside lane going the other way stopped to let her turn. She figured that the light had changed and she could go, inched out a little but couldn't really see anyone coming, and started to turn (a definite no-no). A guy driving along in the outside lane who obviously couldn't see her either ended up slamming head-on into the passenger side of my car, probably going about 35-40 (I'm guessing the impact was more like 25-30). He was in a Civic (I think) so he hit my car pretty low- the damage didn't look too bad to his car but I only saw it for a second. Had it been an SUV, my sister's best friend probably would have been killed (I hate SUVs). I'm pretty sure my car is totaled (frame is bent... you can see how the front quarter panel bows outward, away from the hood on the passenger side). I am thankful she wasn't hurt though- cars can be repaired and replaced, but loved ones are irreplaceable... which is too bad for my sister because now I'm going to kill her...

Ugh.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im glad your sister is okay . . . . .but poor maxima , nice color too. The damage doesnt appear to be that bad concidering she got T-boned at 30MPH, but thats probably because it was a small car (the Civic) that hit her. If the frame is bent, and they total it; time to get an SE 5 speed!
Old 01-15-2003, 04:35 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Originally posted by Wisky97SE
time to get an SE 5 speed!
You like the color even with all that salt and dirt all over it??

I WISH I could get a 5spd. Oh, man, that would be awesome. Unfortunately, my sister and I are both in college right now and I don't think the family could afford another Maxima. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe I'll be able to find some rich guy who's selling his low-mileage late-model 4th gen 5spd SE for like $7k

Thanks... drive safe...

Doug
Old 01-15-2003, 04:40 PM

i dont completely know the story but i saw the page and i know what you mean about folowing the rules and not playing around with people that dont know the proper order of who goes first.

at this one (small) 4 way intersection, stupid ladies in SUV's always try to cross the intersection and make the left turn before i can make a right turn (im closer) - they think yeah i have a green light ill beat him to it.. how do you expect to beat me to it, im only 5 feet from the lane.

so yesterday this lady pulls out trying to make the lane before me and she has to stop , seeing me come out. so we're just sitting there like UHHH because she stopped and i stopped because she really looked like she'll hit me. IDIOTS
Old 01-15-2003, 04:45 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Originally posted by sil SE
i dont completely know the story but i saw the page and i know what you mean about folowing the rules and not playing around with people that dont know the proper order of who goes first.

at this one (small) 4 way intersection, stupid ladies in SUV's always try to cross the intersection and make the left turn before i can make a right turn (im closer) - they think yeah i have a green light ill beat him to it.. how do you expect to beat me to it, im only 5 feet from the lane.

so yesterday this lady pulls out trying to make the lane before me and she has to stop , seeing me come out. so we're just sitting there like UHHH because she stopped and i stopped because she really looked like she'll hit me. IDIOTS
Seriously... I don't know why people can't wait 2 seconds to make a safe turn. It has always upset me and now it upsets me even more. At least I know that my sister will never make that mistake again!

BTW sil, I love your sig!
Old 01-15-2003, 05:16 PM

thanks and best of luck to you
Old 01-16-2003, 08:58 PM

Never let my sister drive your car? How about a brother? I was 16 and just got my liscense. My sister was out of town and let me use her car, with the exception of a few rules (no drinking, etc). She had a 95 GLE and I was at a 2way stop in the middle of god knows where. I look to my left and right and you couldn't see anything but pine trees. As I edged out and started to go, halfway thru the intersection I look to my right to see a big red GMC Surburban coming right at my passenger side..BAM...T-Boned and the guy was doing 50mph.. he told the cops that he saw me stopped, saw me go, and figured I would make it thru the intersection so didn't bother to brake, even after he hit me and knocked me off the road.. to sum it up my insurance company filed it as "no fault", the car needs a lot of work and sits in my garage.. and now I got my own Maxima..
Old 01-16-2003, 09:06 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Originally posted by gabex
Never let my sister drive your car? How about a brother? I was 16 and just got my liscense. My sister was out of town and let me use her car, with the exception of a few rules (no drinking, etc). She had a 95 GLE and I was at a 2way stop in the middle of god knows where. I look to my left and right and you couldn't see anything but pine trees. As I edged out and started to go, halfway thru the intersection I look to my right to see a big red GMC Surburban coming right at my passenger side..BAM...T-Boned and the guy was doing 50mph.. he told the cops that he saw me stopped, saw me go, and figured I would make it thru the intersection so didn't bother to brake, even after he hit me and knocked me off the road.. to sum it up my insurance company filed it as "no fault", the car needs a lot of work and sits in my garage.. and now I got my own Maxima..
Oh man, that sucks... at least your insurance company filed it as no fault, and you got your own Maxima!
Old 01-17-2003, 12:03 AM
† ErV †

at least you can sue people.. how about a cow though. bumper, the two front fenders, my mirror, winshield, drivers side window is permanently scratched (i'll never replace it though), my door is pretty much dented out, and the rear right pass door is scraped. right headlight mount assembly is broken but the headlight glass/reflector itself is intact (won't replace that too). and i am also missing a few grille nuts but who cares about those at this point. kinda fixed it myself until i can come up with the two grand to get it done properly.

and then a few days later i get my rear scraped by 3 moronic girls in a corolla.

it really sucks your frame is damaged though. try to fight it with insurance. might be worth it.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:27 AM

Here in brooklyn,NY I think everyone needs to call or mail the dmv the rules of ALL WAY stop signs. Nobody here knows it. Furthermore, they did a study on the discovery channel that said men have a better idea of space. Women just can't tell their freaking distance. To test it they had a few guys and a few gals park a volkswagon beetle in a certain spot. Average guy took a 1 minute to park the car while the average female took 3 minutes. They should make female drivers pay higher insurance rates. Its accidents like these that **** me off. Sometimes I would be making a turn waiting for the traffic to clear and some ***** usually a female would stop to let me pass through. Not only does she cause traffic behind her but I can't see the cars that are trying to go around her therefore, taking a risk having anyone of them t-bone me. Damn I think I'm paranoid don't know.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Never let my sister drive your car.

Originally posted by Speebs

I am thankful she wasn't hurt though- cars can be repaired and replaced, but loved ones are irreplaceable... which is too bad for my sister because now I'm going to kill her...
Sorry that was a good one. I hope everything can get repaired easily. Good luck, and don't kill her too much!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
Here in brooklyn,NY I think everyone needs to call or mail the dmv the rules of ALL WAY stop signs. Nobody here knows it. Furthermore, they did a study on the discovery channel that said men have a better idea of space. Women just can't tell their freaking distance. To test it they had a few guys and a few gals park a volkswagon beetle in a certain spot. Average guy took a 1 minute to park the car while the average female took 3 minutes. They should make female drivers pay higher insurance rates. Its accidents like these that **** me off. Sometimes I would be making a turn waiting for the traffic to clear and some ***** usually a female would stop to let me pass through. Not only does she cause traffic behind her but I can't see the cars that are trying to go around her therefore, taking a risk having anyone of them t-bone me. Damn I think I'm paranoid don't know.
Some drivers think that being courteous means stopping traffic in one lane to let an other make a left turn---big no-no! What about the other lane or as you said, people pulling out to pass him/her. In-decisive, timid drivers wreak havoc on our roads! Well, also idiotic drivers aren't much better
Old 01-17-2003, 09:36 AM

evilCOWSvictim?
that sucks about the corolla afterwards bro
Originally posted by EvilRoadsVictim
at least you can sue people.. how about a cow though.
and then a few days later i get my rear scraped by 3 moronic girls in a corolla.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:44 AM

evilCOWSvictim?
that sucks about the corolla afterwards bro
Originally posted by EvilRoadsVictim
at least you can sue people.. how about a cow though.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Dev

Re: Never let my sister drive your car.

hey speebs,
glad to hear everyone was alright health wise...

judging by the pictures...there's no way your car's totalled
its just body and frame damage, no functional or mechanical parts

im guessing you'll need new doors and some body work + paint
and straighten out the chassis if anything happened to that...

but insurance won't chuck a good car if its cheaper for them to repair it than replace it. by the looks of it, your car is worth a lot more than the damage.

hope everything works out well for you, good luck!
Old 01-17-2003, 12:24 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Re: Re: Never let my sister drive your car.

Originally posted by Dev
hey speebs,
glad to hear everyone was alright health wise...

judging by the pictures...there's no way your car's totalled
its just body and frame damage, no functional or mechanical parts

im guessing you'll need new doors and some body work + paint
and straighten out the chassis if anything happened to that...

but insurance won't chuck a good car if its cheaper for them to repair it than replace it. by the looks of it, your car is worth a lot more than the damage.

hope everything works out well for you, good luck!

I'm getting a repair estimate this afternoon. The thing is, I don't know how much that car is worth to begin with. I checked the Blue Book value online and it estimated about $4500 private party or $3600 at a dealer (or something like that). We'll see... and this car had already been having alignment problems
Old 01-17-2003, 02:42 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Re: Re: Re: Never let my sister drive your car.

Originally posted by Speebs

I'm getting a repair estimate this afternoon. The thing is, I don't know how much that car is worth to begin with. I checked the Blue Book value online and it estimated about $4500 private party or $3600 at a dealer (or something like that). We'll see... and this car had already been having alignment problems

Body shop's estimate for repair was about $7000. Blue Book value of the car (checked with body shop) is also around $7000, maybe $6000 if they adjust for mileage (106k miles, but it has a young 47k engine in it so I'll probably get $7k). Just waiting to see if the insurance company wants to total the car... if so, it's time to shop for a new 4th gen!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:46 PM

i feel your pain man, and also dont let my wife drive your car my 2k was 2 weeks old and she backed into a fire hydrant leaving me a nice half dollar sized hole in my rear bumper that cost $375 to get fixed