4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A believer in the "hacked air box"

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Today was my first day that I got to really "test" the hacked air box out. The sound is very nice, almost like an intake, but not as loud. I like this sound better oppose to a regular intake or CAI. The sound has a more subtle, aggressive tone to it. It's not as loud as a regular intake or CAI like I said, but when you step on it, people can definitely hear you. The butt dyno tells me this give me probably the same gain as a regular intake or CAI. Like Dave said, at part throttle, it seem to be smoother, you can defintely feel it. With an regular intake or CAI on an automatic, the revs have to be a bit higher for you to feel and hear it. With this, even at low revs you can feel and hear it. I think this is best at low rpms, when it get to high rpms(5k and up), it seem to run a bit out of steam. I still have the accordian resonator though, you guys think I should get rid of it and put a midpipe in place? How much of a difference would that do?

If I knew this a long time ago, I wouldn't have wasted my money on an intake. Just drill a few holes, which cost you nothing.
u drilled a few small holes or did u cut part of the box with the dremel? if you drilled many holes on your lower part of the box wouldn't you get a lot of whisting noise?
Old 02-11-2003, 11:43 AM

i cut part of the box with the dremel. i am really impresses with the performance of the hacked air box, it's just a little louder than stock but the hp gain is definetly noticable. and more importantly No more hissing sound from the intake.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by costcowholesale

u drilled a few small holes or did u cut part of the box with the dremel? if you drilled many holes on your lower part of the box wouldn't you get a lot of whisting noise?

I drilled small holes. Nope, no whistling noise whatsoever. That's why I like it.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:48 PM

If whistling is encountered after drilling small holes, you can always add thin open cell foam over holes and hold in place with screen mesh. This is how we used to open up airboxes on MX bikes way back when. The foam and screen over the holes also kept debris out of the airbox. Use drill a standard hole size when drilling, such as 3/4", 1", 1 1/2" etc. Then you can always buy sheet metal hole plugs at an electrical or electronics part store and easily plug off the drilled holes nice and clean in the future, if needed, so nobody will notice that you ever drilled holes in the airbox. Or so you can dyno it later on with holes open or closed up.

By the way, anyone hook up a rubber hose to a hole in the stock airbox and run under the front of the car to draw in cooler air? If so, did you dyno it?
Old 12-05-2003, 01:05 AM

I dunno about all you guys but I like the whistling that a cone filter makes. It sorta makes people wonder what's under the hood, certainly not a squirrel or any other critter. The best thing is that it makes a woooshing sound when I rev up the engine or during acceleration throughout the gears. I have a 5 speed and a K&N cone filter with a 3" outlet to the MAF. Currently, I'm using the horn off of the airbox to attach the filter to but it's flimsy and I feel that there are leaks around it. So, I'm in a search for an adapter. I didn't disconnect any of the tubes coming from the snorkel. Since Im not using the airbox, messing with those is not necessary at all. The only thing I have to worry about is when summer comes, I'd have to come up with some kind of headshield. Any other suggestions, would help.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by 2DaMax
I dunno about all you guys but I like the whistling that a cone filter makes. It sorta makes people wonder what's under the hood, certainly not a squirrel or any other critter. The best thing is that it makes a woooshing sound when I rev up the engine or during acceleration throughout the gears. I have a 5 speed and a K&N cone filter with a 3" outlet to the MAF. Currently, I'm using the horn off of the airbox to attach the filter to but it's flimsy and I feel that there are leaks around it. So, I'm in a search for an adapter. I didn't disconnect any of the tubes coming from the snorkel. Since Im not using the airbox, messing with those is not necessary at all. The only thing I have to worry about is when summer comes, I'd have to come up with some kind of headshield. Any other suggestions, would help.
The panel style filter does cut out the annoying whistle, but when a rap on the throttle, the hacked airbox (with a midpipe) sounds exactly like my old hybrid setup. When I pop the hood everything looks OEM under the hood so people believe my car is completely stock

BTW, I've always been quicker and faster at the track with my hacked airbox vs my CAI or hybrid intake.

Dave
Old 12-05-2003, 09:12 AM

I'm sure that some of the credits go to the MEVI, JWT ECU, y-pipe, & 2K muffler. My SE is bone stock other than the K&N cone filter and I'm not looking into racing my car on the track at all. I just want more umph when I need to.

Originally Posted by Dave B
BTW, I've always been quicker and faster at the track with my hacked airbox vs my CAI or hybrid intake.

Dave