4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Now I am really ticked off

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 02:58 PM

Now I am really ticked off

Ok,

Today I was leaving for school and since my garage remote is busted I had to get out of my Max and manually close the door. As I was walked to the button, I slipped and fell. After throwing a few swears, I got up and looked at a tennis-ball-sized puddle of tranny fluid. Now I am like oh fu!@#$%^ sh@# !! I did not know whether to drive the max or not. I had no choice, since I did not want to miss class, and on the highway the car seemed fine. Nothing unusual, and when I left school, there was no tranny fluid under the car.

So when I got home, the first I did was lift the Max's front end. Sure enough there was a stream of tranny fluid right by the front passenger's side wheel. What do you guys think, is that the CV ball bearing? It is right by the front left wheel. You guys do not even now how totally ****ed I am right now. The car only has 35650 miles on it right now, and I always took care of from the day that I got it maintained. It is a 1998 automatic SE. I also never raced it at all.

By the way, I do have that annoying whine when the auto tranny shifts gears. However, the one thing that I do not understand is that everyone says this happens only on 5-speeds, because the bearing are not shimmed from the factory. I do not even know what that word means to be honest, but I just don't know what to do and am so totally frustrated. The Nissan dealer 3 weeks ago also said that there are no metal shavings in the tranny when I got the inspection. I hope that they didn’t fu@# it up What do you guys think may happen if I do not get this fixed soon? If the transmission does break, would they still cover it? Nissan clamins 6 years and 60,000 for the power train, but I do not know if they would cover this. Please let me know what I should do.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Now I am really ticked off

Originally posted by Peter_98_SE
Ok,

Today I was leaving for school and since my garage remote is busted I had to get out of my Max and manually close the door. As I was walked to the button, I slipped and fell. After throwing a few swears, I got up and looked at a tennis-ball-sized puddle of tranny fluid. Now I am like oh fu!@#$%^ sh@# !! I did not know whether to drive the max or not. I had no choice, since I did not want to miss class, and on the highway the car seemed fine. Nothing unusual, and when I left school, there was no tranny fluid under the car.

So when I got home, the first I did was lift the Max's front end. Sure enough there was a stream of tranny fluid right by the front passenger's side wheel. What do you guys think, is that the CV ball bearing? It is right by the front left wheel. You guys do not even now how totally ****ed I am right now. The car only has 35650 miles on it right now, and I always took care of from the day that I got it maintained. It is a 1998 automatic SE. I also never raced it at all.

By the way, I do have that annoying whine when the auto tranny shifts gears. However, the one thing that I do not understand is that everyone says this happens only on 5-speeds, because the bearing are not shimmed from the factory. I do not even know what that word means to be honest, but I just don't know what to do and am so totally frustrated. The Nissan dealer 3 weeks ago also said that there are no metal shavings in the tranny when I got the inspection. I hope that they didn’t fu@# it up What do you guys think may happen if I do not get this fixed soon? If the transmission does break, would they still cover it? Nissan clamins 6 years and 60,000 for the power train, but I do not know if they would cover this. Please let me know what I should do.

I don't know just try and fix it as soon as possible.
However, not to be mean but I can't stop laughing that you slipped and fell. I can picture it perfectly.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Jedi Knight

Re: Re: Now I am really ticked off

Originally posted by hacim105

I don't know just try and fix it as soon as possible.
However, not to be mean but I can't stop laughing that you slipped and fell. I can picture it perfectly.
could be humorous..but I feel you I just dropped my 97 5speed at the dealership for them to check my tranny...under warranty, we'll see tomorrow...take it in...since they worked on it last...they should fix it! probably some newbie...working on your car
Old 01-21-2003, 04:19 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

wow too bad i can't blame the differential bearings goin bad on your car... cuz u're an auto

whatever u just described is symptoms of bad differential bearings... except for the slipping and falling down all jokes aside, i hope u didn't hurt urself in that fall. Good luck, let us know what the mechanics decide to conclude on ure prob.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:14 PM

If you are still within 5 years of the purchase date, just take it to the dealer for a warranty repair. 36,000 miles is nothing, so they should take care of whatever is leaking. Instead of going nuts seeing the problem, take some steps to take care of it.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Sports Button FTW

LMAO. oh man, i bet it was oen of those slow step by step falls, not a banana slip one, hahahah, ahh, i could picture it now. that sucks man, put a bandaid or something on the tranny to stop the leaking, i hope things go better for you...school year just started and everything
Old 01-21-2003, 09:07 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by meccanoble
LMAO. oh man, i bet it was oen of those slow step by step falls, not a banana slip one, hahahah, ahh, i could picture it now. that sucks man, put a bandaid or something on the tranny to stop the leaking, i hope things go better for you...school year just started and everything
haha what's more funny is i can visualize YOU slipping underneath ure car and cussing it out because the bandaid won't stick
Old 01-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by nadir_s

haha what's more funny is i can visualize YOU slipping YOUR p*nis in my mouth cussing it out because it feels so good

aw shucks...
Old 01-21-2003, 10:11 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by meccanoble

aw shucks...

UM!!!!! hahahha so u offerin a blow? Sorry mecca, i don't swing that way

now i feel bad for hijacking pete's thread... anyways, since you are an auto, u can easily check ure tranny level periodically w/ the dipstick. This happened all of a sudden? Perhaps the whining you are hearing is the sound a transmission makes when it's low on oil and that's definately not good. Maybe u spilled more oil at school and didn't notice it? If you haven't chekd the level, do it right away, i just hope that your seal went bad and nothing more. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2003, 11:30 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and give me more if you have any.

I was about to close the garage this morning, and the next thing that I saw was the ceiling and my feet high up in the air It sure left me stunned for a minute, and gave me a lesson on not running around the garage.

Nadir, you recommended that the transmission whining sound could be from the transmission being low on fluid. Maybe that could be it, but one thing for certain is that it was heard from the day that I test-drove the car. What is important to note is that it is heard only when the transmission shifts gears and only above 3,000 RPM. It first whines then goes away, and with the next shift it starts again, and then fades away. It is especially heard in subzero weather, and when the car is cold before warming up. Also if you put it in overdrive, then it is heard all the time, regardless if it is shifting or not. Now I will have to check the fluid level every day with that leak. By the way, do you think that the sound could be related to the leak?

I also have a digital camera, and will take a picture tomorrow, so that you guys can give me feedback. I should however remember to watch my step in the garage more often now, because if it leaks again, then I may not survive and so will my camera. If that happens, then I will have to sketch it with a few broken bones and/or a concussion. Maybe that is a good way to solve the problem, and forget that I even had a leak on my transmission in the first place.