4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Weird Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:21 PM

Weird Problem.

Well I finally got my maxima, I was looking to get one for a few months, and I finally found the one I liked, it was 1997 Nissan Maxima GLE Dark Green with Tan Interior, Single owner that I found in a newspaper, she was out in Commack Long Island and I doubt anyone had visited her since the ad was put in. The owner was a married wife with two kids, who had barely used the vehicle, that gave the grand total from September 97 to January 2003 at only 47,000 miles. I preformed a carfax report and another private one, Revealed the car to be mint. Intitially I had suspected that her having two kids might have had a great impact on the interior however, the car was virtually spotless, the interior looked factory and brand new, the fact she was a non smoker was also apparent as the car ran and looked great in and out.
I decided to have my car tinted. So I took it to a local shop that was recommended to me by many. They suggested that If I wanted 20% all around that I have my back window tinted at 5%(Limo Tint) in order for it to be darker and have that 20% effect due to the light reflected by my tan interior. In any case I got the tint put in. Now, previously the owner had told me that she had a factory security system upgraded by putting in a siren but using the factory keyless entry to control the security system. After the visit to the shop for tints, my remotes stopped working. Doing a search on this topic on these boards revealed that I may just have had to program my remotes. Unfortunatley, that did not work and the next day I took it back to the shop where they fiddled with it for an hour or so and somehow managed to find some kind of unit in the trunk where they reset it and said that they hadnt touched it. Yet they didnt charge me so I suspect they might have had something to do with it.
Now I thought that the ordeal was over however, in a couple of days, again my keyless entry stopped working. But this time it was different. It allowed me to use the keyless entry to turn on and off the security system but only after I manually opened the door with the key and set it off. I also noticed that after driving it and again parking it, i was able to get out of the car and use the remotes for a short time maybe a few minutes until it would stop working. Tommorow i plan to take it to a different shop to have it looked at. But.. I thought that perhaps some of the bright minds might have an idea on what the problem could be so that I dont end up getting ripped off. I dont know what the upgrade unit is or was. All work was done at the nissan dealership according to her, from day one of ownership. So I suspect its a standard upgrade that the dealership might have offered.

I made this post to first say how happy I am with my Maxima, and to seek some help. Be prepared to hear from me alot more often

Dave
Old 01-22-2003, 08:02 AM

I can't answer your question. I just wanted to say welcome to the ORG!

(_8*(l)