4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

220 to a tank???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:18 PM

Well, I'm probably getting 180-200 miles per gallon.

..but then again i have a faulty o2 and knock sensor, plus
i'm automatic.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:27 PM

That is strange I have a 5 sp and when I was getting 200 + with 3/4 tank
Old 12-23-2003, 06:26 PM

c'mon guy's most of our cars are at least 5 years old
the average in a max will maintaine is about (16to18)
per gallon i get about 280 per tank (97 5spd).
my brother has a 03 altima SL (4cl) an he gets about
320 so i'm pretty happy
Old 12-23-2003, 07:12 PM
formz

Originally Posted by hotmax97
c'mon guy's most of our cars are at least 5 years old
the average in a max will maintaine is about (16to18)
per gallon i get about 280 per tank (97 5spd).
my brother has a 03 altima SL (4cl) an he gets about
320 so i'm pretty happy
That is positively incorrect. There is no reason why a higher mileage car cannot get the same or nearly the same gas mileage as it did from the factory. Saying you should be getting 16mpg is horrible. My father's 5.2L V8 truck gets 16mpg with 80k miles on it. I for one had a 13 year old AWD DSM that maintained about 22mpg with almost double the factory hp output.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:22 PM

test fuel fiter

To test you fuel filter just take the new one out of the package and blow through it. Then take off your old one a blow through it. If it's dirty it will be alot tougher to blow through. Hope you like gas!
Old 12-23-2003, 08:32 PM

my first maxima made about 450-480 (mostly highway) per tank in the summer, I only had that car in the summer tho, cos it got totalled at the end of summer

the max i have now, also a 96, i've driven starting in september, but it has more city driving on it (to school) than just summer driving, and that one NEVER made over 400 per tank... i've gotten as bad as 320 in the coldest and snowiest weeks so far...

but it was weird, its as if the two cars make completely different gas mileage, it wasn't even cold in september, but it never made over 400 miles on a tank, same driving style, but some trips were shorter

i guess i'll really see this summer again
Old 12-23-2003, 10:18 PM

bng4bk...and all the other 200mpt'ers....i'm in the same boat as you guys...

Right now i'm at 86k miles and I've replaced:

-O2 sensors about 10-15k miles ago (no codes)
-Fuel Filter/Air Filter/Platinum NGK's less than 2k miles ago
-Regualarly Scheduled Tune-ups/Oil Changes
-Cleaned Throttle Body about a 1000 miles ago
-Ran Techron through TWICE over the past 1000 miles
-Only 93 Octane
-Running 215 tires

I currently get anywhere from 210-250 a tank, measured through the fill-up method.

The only thing that I haven't done is replace my KS which is throwing a code but i HIGHLY doubt that it will give me that much better mpg. Changing it soon

And i'm completely stock, only basic cosmetic changes

This ****ty mileage has been burning a hole in my pocket for too long...i'd LOVE to find out what the damn problem is that makes up to a 200!!! mpt difference from my max and some of these other lucky guys max's....just doesn't make sense

P.S. What PSI on your tires are you guys running? Not what I should be running but what are you guys using that works well without making your ride too harsh
Old 12-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I get about 400 miles per tank. All highway.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:43 AM

My max started to get really bad milage. The problem was the thermostat had failed. It failed in the open position so the car did not heat up right. It was slow to warm up and cooled off when out on the highway. Replaced it and things are much better. Anyway something to check on.

PS: Tire presseure is ALWAYS a MAJOR factor in good gas milage. Winter temps can drop tire pressure SUBSTANTIALLY and you may not even realize it.

Happy Holidays to all!
Paul W.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I get about 400mpg...
Most of the time i drive like a granny behind the wheel.
The mpg get low when I like to race or am being a racaholic behind the wheel. I think sometimes it just matter how you drive your car. If you drive it like your grandparent your gonna get good miles for the gallon. But if you drive it like a little kid with your pedal closer to the floor, your gonna have lower gas milage.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:31 PM

I am new here, but i have been playing with nissans for years now. new to the maxima club, ****.

if you have Bad gas mileage, and your air filter is clean then i would say the next likely culprit would be the oxygen sensor. replace it.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:23 PM
be the change u want2C

Im getting 240 and with an auto, i think i have a bad knock sensor, im to lazy to do the self diagnosis
Old 12-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Originally Posted by bng4bk
It's not the wheel diameter, tire pressure, driving style, or rotation of the earth. Some of us have been cursed with thirsty pigs and would otherwise love our cars......OK, I'm done venting....sorry.

!

minor point: driving style makes ALL the difference. Why is it that monday-friday, when the car is only on the highway, i can get 380 miles per tank, but on the weekends, when it's stop and go, i'm lucky to get 230?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:41 AM

Wouldn't a bad o2 sensor trip the CEL? I have been watching my MPG as well and stop and go driving really kills it. My '95 max - 5 speed will do 300-350 miles/tank when I mostly do hwy driving. But driving around the city, in stop and go traffic, kills it down to 260-280. I usually fill up to almost a full tank, maybe a 3-4 gallon shy of a tank. Also, I notice the fuel needle move down a few centimeters when making a semi-hard right turn as in turning a corner w/o making a complete stop. The needle moves up when turning the opposite direction in the same manner. Has anyone else observed this? Anyhow, I'm checking tire pressure tomorrow, it looks a little low than usual. Also, I just used the Chevron Tekron fuel system cleaner.

-Dennis

Originally Posted by hotshtsr20
I am new here, but i have been playing with nissans for years now. new to the maxima club, ****.

if you have Bad gas mileage, and your air filter is clean then i would say the next likely culprit would be the oxygen sensor. replace it.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:25 AM

i do a lot of city driving and i get about 220-300. if im on the highway a lot, i get 400.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:18 AM

Even on the highway, i'm getting 220...stop and go is like 210-200. I'll check my fuel filter, but it's getting ridiculous. I'm filling up twice a week, and with 35 dollar gas bills, it's hitting hard...maybe it was my crappy torque converter, but i throw no codes at all...so i know the O2 sensors are good...maybe a fuel filter will help....
Old 12-29-2003, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2DaMax
Wouldn't a bad o2 sensor trip the CEL? I have been watching my MPG as well and stop and go driving really kills it. My '95 max - 5 speed will do 300-350 miles/tank when I mostly do hwy driving. But driving around the city, in stop and go traffic, kills it down to 260-280. I usually fill up to almost a full tank, maybe a 3-4 gallon shy of a tank. Also, I notice the fuel needle move down a few centimeters when making a semi-hard right turn as in turning a corner w/o making a complete stop. The needle moves up when turning the opposite direction in the same manner. Has anyone else observed this? Anyhow, I'm checking tire pressure tomorrow, it looks a little low than usual. Also, I just used the Chevron Tekron fuel system cleaner.

-Dennis
not necesarily. a REALLY bad o2 sensor will, or a disconnected one. a misreading one, however, will keep sending the ECU an acceptable signal, but it will be the wrong signal. i take mine out and hit them with a blow torch every once in a while to "clean" off any buildup.

the reason your needle moves is because the gas is physically moving in the tank, making the fuel sender think it has more gas in there. it goes by averages though, so you wont watch it go flying up and down with the gas (unlike some VWs of yesteryear). i have noticed that maximas dont have very effective baffles in the tank. in my SE-R, as long as i have ANY gas in there, i can floor it, race around a track, anything. the maxima, however, as soon as i get below 1 gallon left (damn, that gaslight turns on when you really are out of gas, the SE-R turned on with about 3 gallons left, 120 miles of gas!) i cant floor it anymore or it will stutter and starve for gas.

fuel system cleaners dont do very much. thats what your fuel filter is for. injectors are self cleaning.

be very careful with tire pressures. usually, if you can see that they are low, you are about 10-15 psi low. i check mine every tank of gas (hey, nothing else to do)
Old 12-29-2003, 08:23 PM

The o2 sensors on mine went bad and tripped the CEL so I guess they were totally bad. My first '95 Maxima never had the moving fuel gauge needle so I thought this is kinda weird that its happening to my second maxima. The very first thing that I did when I bought my second one was to change the fuel filter, then the spark plugs to the NGK-R plugs (recommended by many members here). I'm going to be changing 2 of the coil packs, the rubber boots were cracked. Since I added the fuel system cleaner into the fuel tank, my car seems to be running noticeably smoother, I've also noticed improved acceleration, but the MPG seems to remain the same. I keep forgetting to correct the tire pressures so I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow. BTW, can anyone recommend a good throttle body cleaner?

not necesarily. a REALLY bad o2 sensor will, or a disconnected one. a misreading one, however, will keep sending the ECU an acceptable signal, but it will be the wrong signal. i take mine out and hit them with a blow torch every once in a while to "clean" off any buildup.

the reason your needle moves is because the gas is physically moving in the tank, making the fuel sender think it has more gas in there. it goes by averages though, so you wont watch it go flying up and down with the gas (unlike some VWs of yesteryear). i have noticed that maximas dont have very effective baffles in the tank. in my SE-R, as long as i have ANY gas in there, i can floor it, race around a track, anything. the maxima, however, as soon as i get below 1 gallon left (damn, that gaslight turns on when you really are out of gas, the SE-R turned on with about 3 gallons left, 120 miles of gas!) i cant floor it anymore or it will stutter and starve for gas.

fuel system cleaners dont do very much. thats what your fuel filter is for. injectors are self cleaning.

be very careful with tire pressures. usually, if you can see that they are low, you are about 10-15 psi low. i check mine every tank of gas (hey, nothing else to do)
Old 12-30-2003, 12:24 PM

how many gallons go into the tank when you fill up?

try torching the O2 sensors, if they are filled with soot, they will still "work" just not correctly. the ECU only triggers a CEL if the O2 sensor doesnt make a certain amount of resistance.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:56 PM

I usually fill up when the needle is at the 3rd mark (3/4 I think). It usually fills up at 12-13 gallons. All of the o2 sensors on my car have been replaced: left, right, and rear.

how many gallons go into the tank when you fill up?

try torching the O2 sensors, if they are filled with soot, they will still "work" just not correctly. the ECU only triggers a CEL if the O2 sensor doesnt make a certain amount of resistance.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Toolrocks
a clogged fuel filter would more than likely cause you to get better gas milage and run lean, since gas would be slowed through the dirty filter I would make sure your air filter was clean. I average about 320 miles a tank which usually equates to about 22 mpg. I'm fine with that because I keep my car in the 4 - 5k rpm range when I'm driving around town. Btw, I'm a 5spd.
As for the codes, I'm gonna get flamed here but the knock sensor doesn't trip the CEL so it usually isn't apparent until another device, that does trip the CEL, goes bad or out of spec. I would recommend you check your crankshaft posistion sensor per the Haynes manual and replace it if it's bad. Reset your ECU and check again for codes about 300 miles later. If the ks code is still there, replace it. Plan on some cut knuckles.
So, you are telling me that when you get 320 miles on a tank, you only put in 14.5 gallons of gas? That is what you would have to do to be coming out with 22mpg. I get 365 miles per tank, and I usually end up putting in 16.5 or more gallons in when I run it that low. You cannot get 22mpg by only getting 320 to a tank, unless you are not using all the fuel in the tank.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:25 AM

I have also noticed that about the tank getting low. If that light comes on, you had better be close to a gas station or not going up any hills or anything, because you are about to run out of gas.
That happened to me when I first got my Maxima in March. I was trying to see how many miles I could get on a tank, and I saw the fuel light come on. I was thinking that I still had some time before I ran out...boy, was I wrong!!! I was used to my Mazda 626, which had like 2 or 3 gallons left when the light came on. Needless to say, I ran out of gas and had to walk about a mile to get some. ha ha ha. Live and learn...that was my first time to ever run out of gas in 9 years of driving.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

the only thing i can contribute is that when i first bought my max, i was getting ****tty gas mileage, and over time, i've finally gotten the MPG up higher.

I've:

installed the injen intake

changed oil regularly (mobil 1 10w30 year round, and WIX filters)

Changed fuel filter regularly (the first time, i used a nissan filter, and actually got worse gas mileage. Now i'm using WIX filters for that)

cleaned/changed air filter regularly

cleaned throttle body regularly (at the same time i change fuel filter)

changed my battery to an optima redtop ( believe it or not, i noticed the biggest jump in gas mileage after this)

Had tires rotated every 5k miles

And now, at 60,000 miles, i'm starting to notice a drop in mileage. So i'll be

changing plugs
having transmission flushed
having coolant flushed
most likely having ks and O2 sensors replaced
removing intake manifold and cleaning it

there's times that you feel like slamming your head into a wall because nothing seems to make a difference with the MPG. I've been trying to get decent mileage for roughly a year and a half now, and i'm still not where i want it.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:01 AM

I usually fill up when the needle is at the 3rd mark (3/4 I think). It usually fills up at 12-13 gallons. All of the o2 sensors on my car have been replaced: left, right, and rear.
well, thats like 18 mpg, thats not too bad.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:31 AM

Yea, I manage to get around 260 - 280 with it. One of these days, I'll drive it til the fuel light comes on and then refill and see what my MPG will be then.

well, thats like 18 mpg, thats not too bad.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:18 PM

Yea, I manage to get around 260 - 280 with it. One of these days, I'll drive it til the fuel light comes on and then refill and see what my MPG will be then.
I just took a long trip over XMAS, all highway miles. At 440, the lamp turned on and shortly thereafter, the needle seemed pinned to E. That is a clear indication that my K&N is dirty, because that's implying that I got less than 25 mpg on the highway. If you guys are getting in the 200's, I would have to say something is wrong with the sender unit. But whatever...