4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tranny problem, always at start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 01:37 PM

tranny problem, always at start up

hi there dudz. My problem is:my car is auto, 130000 miles, I star the engine next day, and got to the street. On 1 gear, 2 or Drive. On the first 100 mts, or 10 minutes the tranny is weird...i deep the accelerator and the car is acceleratint like 5 speed manual for example if the car is stop and you start to drive on 4 gear or 3 gear...you accelerate very slow and the engine is very force right? well the car feels like that.

And it suppose if you are stop and the car is on 1 gear...on cold, hot wheater...the car supposed to response fast...but it dont(always happen next day) i mean after 12 hours. After a few minutes the car goes ok. If i start to drive on 1 gear i feel the power of the engine...but just a few miles later of the start(cold engine) I think the car dont shift to low gears on morning...and later when it warm is ok everything...

Any suggestion?? i dont know if any solenoid of the tranny is bad...
Old 01-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've told you this a few times. The Nissan trannys don't shift so good when their cold. They stay up in 2nd or 3rd gear until you come to a complete stop, and the shift from 1 -2 is rough as well. Take it easy on it until it's completely warmed up. It will perform much better when it's fully warmed up.

Your not driving a hot rod, your driving a 4 door luxury sport sedan equipped with a autotragic transmission.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:48 PM

hey dudz look my pro mechanic told me, that my tranny needs to be check. HE told me that i should check the tranny box valve. And the interior solenoid. Because maybe when the car start on the mornign the valves are attached...and a few miles they work good.

tell my if this is possible....and theres a filter on the tranny???
how much will be the valves box remplaced? any idea?
Old 01-29-2003, 05:50 AM

Find another mechanic to work on your car. All Maxima's do the same thing as you describe in the cold mornings. Your tranny is just fine, believe me. Thats why we make up words to describe it on here such as the AutoTragic or Slush-0-Matic or AutoMagic transmission. There really not performance oriented transmissions. Take it easy on it until it's completely warm up. Your shifts will be much better.

Even with it's warm, the tranny likes to stay up in 2nd gear at a rolling stop. You have to come to a complete stop before it will downshift into 1st.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:29 AM

oks....thanks a lot men, i will do that...
Old 01-29-2003, 09:40 AM

Sebaxx - I think I speak for everyone here on the Org in asking... Will you please learn to proofread your posts? You have no idea how hard it is to read and decypher your posts with the awful typing, spelling, and grammar. Its understood that we all make typos, but your posts are repeatedly just painful to read.

I don't mean this to be a slam, but it would make communicating with you and helping you out much easier. I undertand if English isn't your first language, but that shouldbe more incentive to type, spell, and proofread your posts.

Again, I reiterate, this is not a flame or an insult, this is just a suggestion.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by MacGyver265
Sebaxx - I think I speak for everyone here on the Org in asking... Will you please learn to proofread your posts? You have no idea how hard it is to read and decypher your posts with the awful typing, spelling, and grammar. Its understood that we all make typos, but your posts are repeatedly just painful to read.

I don't mean this to be a slam, but it would make communicating with you and helping you out much easier. I undertand if English isn't your first language, but that shouldbe more incentive to type, spell, and proofread your posts.

Again, I reiterate, this is not a flame or an insult, this is just a suggestion.
ok i will try, sorry for bother you guys...i know my english is not perfect...and im not the person that you want to post.

look another question is....if the tranny oil filter is dirty which syntoms will have the tranny.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:54 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by sebaxx

ok i will try, sorry for bother you guys...i know my english is not perfect...and im not the person that you want to post.

look another question is....if the tranny oil filter is dirty which syntoms will have the tranny.
There is no tranny oil filter..
Old 01-29-2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by seximagtr

There is no tranny oil filter..
yes theres a little net, if ou check the haynes manual you will see it. My mechanic show me one. But i think my filter is very dirty...i just want to know what happen when the filter is in that condition. the pressure is bad? hard shifting, etc Remember my car is auto
Old 01-29-2003, 12:02 PM

yes, there's a screen, not a filter(which would need to be replaced for maintenance).. It wouldn't have any effect to cause these conditions that you're describing. Please listen to us, especially njmaxseltd, he knows his stuff. This is how nissan maxima's were designed. Shift slow as hell, and be very comfy, and that's what it does. From what you described, there is nothing wrong with your car.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr
yes, there's a screen, not a filter(which would need to be replaced for maintenance).. It wouldn't have any effect to cause these conditions that you're describing. Please listen to us, especially njmaxseltd, he knows his stuff. This is how nissan maxima's were designed. Shift slow as hell, and be very comfy, and that's what it does. From what you described, there is nothing wrong with your car.
thanks for all your help. Tomorrow i will buy the tranny filter, and other stuff..my mechanic will clean the valve box of the tranny just for maint....
Old 01-29-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by sebaxx
thanks for all your help. Tomorrow i will buy the tranny filter, and other stuff..my mechanic will clean the valve box of the tranny just for maint....
I don't think you can buy that screen, you can clean the one on your car. A few bolts and it will come out. Make sure that you clean the magnets on the bottom of the tranny pan and use a new gasket.

If the screen was dirty or clogged your transmission pressure would be low and your shifts would be very soft and mushy, quite the opposite as what you describe.

Your chasing a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:03 PM

I think that learning to master the English language and accurately convey the problem is of primary importance. I personally stop reading a post when it starts with "hey dudz". There are 26 letters on a keyboard, its not such a strain to type "dudes" is it? Sorry, just my ran, I hate when people mangle the language.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by fierostetz
I think that learning to master the English language and accurately convey the problem is of primary importance. I personally stop reading a post when it starts with "hey dudz". There are 26 letters on a keyboard, its not such a strain to type "dudes" is it? Sorry, just my ran, I hate when people mangle the language.
he already addressed it, scroll up.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:12 PM

i will clean the filter, and put a new gasket..thanks
Old 01-29-2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I don't think you can buy that screen, you can clean the one on your car. A few bolts and it will come out. Make sure that you clean the magnets on the bottom of the tranny pan and use a new gasket.
You can in fact buy the transmission 'filter' screen, I bought one from my local auto parts store and did the tranny service in my driveway. It cost me about $20 bucks, including a brand new pan gasket and seal for the drain plug. Not a bad deal.

I can tell my car runs differenly when it's cold, both the engine and transmission have a different personality. My car does not get stuck in gear or has trouble shifting, although the 1-2 shift can be a little rough. Just drive her real easy until it's all warmed up (I don't go over 2500 RPM until at normal operating temp).

Keep in mind the transmission is designed to run differently in the cold. The torque converter, for example, does not lock up from a fluid to mechanical coupling until the engine and transmission are warm. It does this to rev the engine just slightly higher (therefore creating more heat).

If you change your screen and you see lots of little metal particles, that is bad. When I did it, I saw a few, but surprisingly less than I expected for a car with more than 160,000 miles. The Nissan trannys are very well built (although you might hear otherwise from guys who manually shift or do neutral drops).

Best of luck!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by MaxKlinger

You can in fact buy the transmission 'filter' screen, I bought one from my local auto parts store and did the tranny service in my driveway. It cost me about $20 bucks, including a brand new pan gasket and seal for the drain plug. Not a bad deal.

I can tell my car runs differenly when it's cold, both the engine and transmission have a different personality. My car does not get stuck in gear or has trouble shifting, although the 1-2 shift can be a little rough. Just drive her real easy until it's all warmed up (I don't go over 2500 RPM until at normal operating temp).

Keep in mind the transmission is designed to run differently in the cold. The torque converter, for example, does not lock up from a fluid to mechanical coupling until the engine and transmission are warm. It does this to rev the engine just slightly higher (therefore creating more heat).

If you change your screen and you see lots of little metal particles, that is bad. When I did it, I saw a few, but surprisingly less than I expected for a car with more than 160,000 miles. The Nissan trannys are very well built (although you might hear otherwise from guys who manually shift or do neutral drops).

Best of luck!

yes i will do the remplacement, my car has 131000 miles and i discovered that the previos owner never did the fluid tranny oil change. So i remplace the fluid with a full procces(clean and new tranny oil) but i didnt know that my car has a "filter" screen on the tranny. My trnny works exelent after a few miles...but in cold cond. it dont, so may be this will help my car
Old 01-29-2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by MaxKlinger

Best of luck!

yes i will do the remplacement, my car has 131000 miles and i discovered that the previos owner never did the fluid tranny oil change. So i remplaced the fluid with a full procces(clean and new tranny oil) but i didnt know that my car has a "filter" screen on the tranny. My trnny works exelent with the new fluid, but in cold condt. theres a problems when i start the engine..i few miles after works ok.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a problem like this, although much worse. I have had the car for two years, and know about the shifts on cold mornings (having to completly stop for a downshift). Now though, my car will actually start off in 2nd, and will shift in and out of the higher gears eratically for about 5 minutes until it's warm. After that, it shifts fine. It has recently gotten much worse, sometimes when I start it and put it in gear it will just die out, much like stalling a manual. If there is any more information, or any other incidents you guys have heard of, please inform.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2003, 01:18 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

wtf?

sebaxx....you are destroying trannies left and right. Look at your past posts.

There was the time that you were shifting into 2nd at 80mph:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=182611

then you wanted to buy one:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=182831

then you were doing the shifting to 2nd thing again:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=182574

what the hell are you doing to your car?
Old 02-16-2003, 01:38 AM

Re: wtf?

Originally posted by fearthegecko
sebaxx....you are destroying trannies left and right. Look at your past posts.

There was the time that you were shifting into 2nd at 80mph:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=182611

then you wanted to buy one:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=182831

then you were doing the shifting to 2nd thing again:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=182574

what the hell are you doing to your car?
LOL I remember those posts
Old 02-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Maxima.org for all the help.