4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

B&G Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

B&G Question

I installed the B&G's last weekend, and noticed the front spring's diameters don't fit into the rubber spacer like the stock springs/Sprints did.

Anyone else notice this? The diameter of the spring is definately about 1/4" smaller. It still seems to fit in there, but not as well as other springs.

IanS
Old 02-03-2003, 02:42 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

bumpity bump bump
Old 02-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what do you mean by the rubber spacer? The rubber part inside the top strut mount?

Mine fits OK, it might be a little loose, but I don't really think its a problem.

When you installed your B+Gs, did you put the OUT lettering on the top of the strut mount facing the side of the car? If so, does the bottom of your spring seem a little loose, like not completely in contact with the bottom of the strut? Thats the problem I have right now.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by spiff56747
what do you mean by the rubber spacer? The rubber part inside the top strut mount?

Mine fits OK, it might be a little loose, but I don't really think its a problem.

When you installed your B+Gs, did you put the OUT lettering on the top of the strut mount facing the side of the car? If so, does the bottom of your spring seem a little loose, like not completely in contact with the bottom of the strut? Thats the problem I have right now.
Yes, I paid strict attention to the "OUT" and "F" labeling.

What I mean is that on the top of the spring (bottom of the mount) there is a ribber spacer with a groove in it for the spring to fit into. The spring does not fit into it perfectly, because the diameter of the spring is a little bit too small.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:23 PM

In general, how do lowered maximas ride?!? Im interested in lowering it, but my last car rode like shiiiit. How bout you guys?!??

Eric
Old 02-03-2003, 09:33 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

ttt
Old 02-03-2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by iansw

Yes, I paid strict attention to the "OUT" and "F" labeling.

What I mean is that on the top of the spring (bottom of the mount) there is a ribber spacer with a groove in it for the spring to fit into. The spring does not fit into it perfectly, because the diameter of the spring is a little bit too small.
I didn't notice any major fitment issues, might not have been perfect, but nothing that gave me any concern. Now on the rear springs, I had to put them what seems like upside down due to a fitment issue. They fit perfectly upside down (which I think is actually right side up lol), and have rode perfect since the install.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Victim64

I didn't notice any major fitment issues, might not have been perfect, but nothing that gave me any concern. Now on the rear springs, I had to put them what seems like upside down due to a fitment issue. They fit perfectly upside down (which I think is actually right side up lol), and have rode perfect since the install.
Strange - my rears fit perfectly, writing up, but the fronts are "skinnier" than the Sprints.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:25 PM

Strange - my rears fit perfectly, writing up, but the fronts are "skinnier" than the Sprints.
I think B&G printed the writing upside down on some of their rear springs lol There was no way for the spring to fit with the writing up on my shock. very strange... oh well, if it rides well, corners like a bat outa hell and looks good, I can't complain can I?? lol
Old 02-04-2003, 07:34 AM

The B&G setup is great for looks and handeling but it's pretty noisy. I had mine installed last week and I have rattles and clunk noises everywhere. I've had it checked it out twice and everything seems to be cool. I guess i need to buy some spacers or use more wire wrap on the coils. By the way, I LOVE the way the car looks with these springs.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by heems27
The B&G setup is great for looks and handeling but it's pretty noisy. I had mine installed last week and I have rattles and clunk noises everywhere. I've had it checked it out twice and everything seems to be cool. I guess i need to buy some spacers or use more wire wrap on the coils. By the way, I LOVE the way the car looks with these springs.
If that pic is of the B&G Springs, then my car with the B&G's is full inch lower than yours.....which is what we're trying to figure out......WTF?

Old 02-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I have a very funny feeling somebody has the wrong spring in their car. B&G springs are thicker (diameter of the coil) then any other spring I've seen for the Maxima.

They fit very tight in the strut on in the upper spring perch. They make no noise at all. My B&G install was silent. Lime who is running B&G's is also silent.

Writing goes upwards on both front and rear coils, it even says so in the installation instructions that came with the springs.

Something in this thread isn't quite right......
Old 02-04-2003, 08:31 AM

several months later still no noises?

Someone didn't do SOMETHING right somewhere!
Old 02-04-2003, 08:46 AM

Mine don't make any noise either - but dyam my car is low!

I'll take pics tonight....maybe I'm just imagining ****, or maybethey sent me the wrong Springs.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:52 AM

My car sitting on B&G springs.

My sig pic is H&R springs.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
My car sitting on B&G springs.

My sig pic is H&R springs.
Anyone have a side shot where the top of the wheel is in the light? I can't tell how low your cars are if I can't see the wheels.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 AM

Anyone have a side shot where the top of the wheel is in the light? I can't tell how low your cars are if I can't see the wheels.
Front
Rear
I too have noise up front, but everything was installed correctly. I also know of 2 or so members who have their writing on the rears installed upside down. Personally, mine fit right side up, so that's how they went in.
-hype
Old 02-04-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by xHypex

Front
Rear
I too have noise up front, but everything was installed correctly. I also know of 2 or so members who have their writing on the rears installed upside down. Personally, mine fit right side up, so that's how they went in.
-hype
Wow...my fender almost covers my wheels in the front....I am WAY lower than that.

They must have sent me the wrong springs....
Old 02-04-2003, 09:33 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Remember, you have 18's on your car, those are 16's in the pic... just saying I'd check on the part# thing before jumping too conclusion...

Wow...my fender almost covers my wheels in the front....I am WAY lower than that.

Old 02-04-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by mtrai760
Remember, you have 18's on your car, those are 16's in the pic... just saying I'd check on the part# thing before jumping too conclusion...

Well, yeah, but the diameter of the rim+tire is the same....

Anyway, I'll check on the PN's tonight if I can find them on/in the box, and I'll jack up the front with my OEM jack and see what I can see, as well as take pics.

IanS
Old 02-04-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by mtrai760

I have 18s too, but I don't have any pictures of them with springs on the car. They look pretty close to the gap with my 16s though.

Since I'm a 5spd my front is relatively high, and the back looks low. From what Tom has said his car is almost perfectly even. Your car should probably look the same Ian.
-hype
Old 02-04-2003, 09:53 AM

My mechanic told me that everything was sitting right. I've tried to figure out the noise but haven't had any luck yet. I've also checked with B&G and they told me that I have the proper springs. Any ideas of what might be making all the clunking noises? Could it be my FSTB or something else that might have come loose during the install. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:54 AM

Well, yeah, but the diameter of the rim+tire is the same....

Anyway, I'll check on the PN's tonight if I can find them on/in the box, and I'll jack up the front with my OEM jack and see what I can see, as well as take pics.

IanS
What color are the springs they sent you?

oh, and I used the oem wrap and I don't have any noise from my springs.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:28 AM

You definately have the wrong springs. The more I read this thread the more I'm thinking B&G has QC issues. Some go upside down in the rear, others don't. Incorrect springs in the box, then replacements that aren't write either? WTF

I'm going to take them off my recommended spring list.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:43 AM

Anyone willing to trade me a set of Sprints AND a Set of B&G's for some H&R's?

IanS
Old 02-04-2003, 01:30 PM

Anyone willing to trade me a set of Sprints AND a Set of B&G's for some H&R's?

IanS

Have you considered Progress or Apex springs? same drop as the BG's
Old 02-04-2003, 06:20 PM

Well, I checked the box again today - hadn't noticed before it says "1995-1999 Maxima" on the side, which is checked off with a marker.....

Guess now I have to jack her up and look at the Part Numbers on the springs as well.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:45 AM

Here is a pic of how low my car is with the B&G's - pretty much identical, actually a tiny bit lower, thean the Sprints:

Old 02-05-2003, 11:37 AM

Pic of the front of my car on B&Gs one week after install.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by heems27
Pic of the front of my car on B&Gs one week after install.
Uh............No pic
Old 02-05-2003, 12:28 PM

My bad dude, my sig didn't show up. Check this reply or look at my sig in the middle of page 2.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:26 PM

Here is a pic of how low my car is with the B&G's - pretty much identical, actually a tiny bit lower, thean the Sprints:

Thats freakishly low.

My B+G's are silent in the back, but the fronts definetely make crunking noises over large bumps. I have the OEM sleeves installed on the bottom of the springs in the front, I cut the bump stops, and I also used the radio shack wire wrap on the whole spring. If I can't get rid of this noise I'm gonna look into some different srpings.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:41 PM

Well, noone has any theories, eh? (besides them being the wrong springs)
Old 02-05-2003, 06:11 PM

iansw, your car is slammed...even for an auto with some extra weight in the engine bay

i know i have MT, but mine and others are no where near that low. the B+G springs are matching bright red to the AGX struts. they are also very very thick. much thicker than any other spring i have seen. sorry if this is known info.

don't you have a large stereo in your car? and also the added weight of AT and SC could possibly be enough to lower your car that much.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Requin6
iansw, your car is slammed...even for an auto with some extra weight in the engine bay

i know i have MT, but mine and others are no where near that low. the B+G springs are matching bright red to the AGX struts. they are also very very thick. much thicker than any other spring i have seen. sorry if this is known info.

don't you have a large stereo in your car? and also the added weight of AT and SC could possibly be enough to lower your car that much.
I do have a stereo, but it's just 1 10" and an amp rack with 2 amps - not by any means a huge system - I do have a 12" that's removable, but in that pic, it's removed.

Even with Sprints, I'm way lower than anyone else with Sprints....I'm also losing axles at the rate of 1 per month....

Which is why i switched to B&G's in the first place.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:23 PM

I don't have springs, I have Ground Control Coilovers but I guarantee the squeaking, clunking noise that you all are talking about is the same noise mine was making. My friend that put mine on has done many cars (lots of hondas, acuras, etc.) and he said that when you put coils/springs on a lot of hondas they suggest that you zip-tie the perch to the top of the spring (I know it doesnt sound like it would work). He ziptied the top of my coil to the perch and NO MORE squeaking!!! So I guess thats what was making the squeaking noise.

Also, I noticed with my coilovers all the way down (4 inch drop), it looked lower in the rear, which I have a system so I thought it was the extra weight in the trunk. My friend pointed out to me that on most cars the fender in the front has a higher cutout than the fender in the rear. After he told me that I got him to raise the back up an inch and it looks perfect now.

Just my 2 cents, sorry if thats not what ya'll were talkin about!
Lauren
Old 02-05-2003, 06:31 PM

Another girl that knows her stuff about cars....maxima's to boot.....Lauren where you from
Old 02-05-2003, 06:51 PM

i'm from south georgia
Old 02-05-2003, 07:33 PM

Anyone want to stay on topic here? anyone have any ideas as to why my car is so freaking ghetto low?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:39 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Why does Ian's car sit so low with B&G springs?

Discuss.

Anyone want to stay on topic here? anyone have any ideas as to why my car is so freaking ghetto low?

Quick Reply: B&G Question