4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

found my problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 07:37 PM

found my problem!

well if any of you were courious or had been seeing my threads about my high idol and CEL, i finally found the problem. i found some time so i decided to take the car in to the dealership. my mom is an auto financer and knows the people there very well, so they took care of me. it seems i have a bad knock sensor, and 02 sensor and that is why my CEL is on. my high idol is because my throttle is all messed up. they didnt specify but i will know more info tomorrow. the parts are coming in from ohio and my car should be healthy soon and all was free. the car was covered, but my warrentee required me to pay $150 out of the $1200 total but they took care of that.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: found my problem!

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
well if any of you were courious or had been seeing my threads about my high idol and CEL, i finally found the problem. i found some time so i decided to take the car in to the dealership. my mom is an auto financer and knows the people there very well, so they took care of me. it seems i have a bad knock sensor, and 02 sensor and that is why my CEL is on. my high idol is because my throttle is all messed up. they didnt specify but i will know more info tomorrow. the parts are coming in from ohio and my car should be healthy soon and all was free. the car was covered, but my warrentee required me to pay $150 out of the $1200 total but they took care of that.
I'm betting it's not the KS at all - when the KS goes off with another code, it's rarely actually bad...It's just saying "hey, there's a problem!"

And the O2 sensor is probably indicative of something else as well.

They're still jacking you around - your going to have the problem "fixed", then in a couple of weeks it will come right back.

I bet it's a bad coil.

A guy here in the NW had the exact same codes, and they wanted to charge him $800 to fix it by replaceing the O2 and KS - we tested his coils, and sure enough, that was the problem - got a new coil and now his car runs perfect.

IanS
Old 02-06-2003, 08:09 PM

Re: Re: found my problem!

Originally posted by iansw

I'm betting it's not the KS at all - when the KS goes off with another code, it's rarely actually bad...It's just saying "hey, there's a problem!"

And the O2 sensor is probably indicative of something else as well.

They're still jacking you around - your going to have the problem "fixed", then in a couple of weeks it will come right back.

I bet it's a bad coil.

A guy here in the NW had the exact same codes, and they wanted to charge him $800 to fix it by replaceing the O2 and KS - we tested his coils, and sure enough, that was the problem - got a new coil and now his car runs perfect.

well the sensors were just the CEL problem. most of the $1200 is coming from the problem with my throttle, that is what is causing my high idol. the sensors arnt much of a problem its my high idol that worries my and to fix that through the throttle is going to be about $1000 of that $1200

IanS
Old 02-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: found my problem!

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
What I'm saying is fix the idle, THEN reset the computer - I bet the codes never come back and your sensors are fine.

Trust me - I've seen enough of this.

A Sensor throws an electric charge that gives the ECU the code when it senses bad fuel mixture (O2) or knock/ping (KS, cause by bad fuel mixture) - that means IT WORKS! No need to replace them!

There is something wrong with your A/F ratio, obviously - it could be the IAC (Idle Air Control), fuel filter, pump, spark/ignition, or whatever - that's not the point - the point is, your sensors are fine.

IanS
Old 02-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Re: Re: found my problem!

Originally posted by iansw

What I'm saying is fix the idle, THEN reset the computer - I bet the codes never come back and your sensors are fine.

Trust me - I've seen enough of this.

A Sensor throws an electric charge that gives the ECU the code when it senses bad fuel mixture (O2) or knock/ping (KS, cause by bad fuel mixture) - that means IT WORKS! No need to replace them!

He's absolutely right about that. There jacking you for an o2 and KS. You probably don't need them. Maybe an o2 if the code comes back consistantly.

Tell them to reset the idle for you and give you the car back with out replacing anything. Then reset your ECU and see what comes back, if anything. Post here if you have any problems or if a code comes back and we'll all be happy to tell you what your next move should be. Trust me, you'll save quite a few $$ if you watch this forum.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:14 AM
Administrator

that is correct.. Tom and Ian..

the KS will never throw a code

Old 02-07-2003, 11:12 PM

well the idol problem must be fixed regaurdless, but as for the sensors, they are doing this all for free, the owner and finance manager of the dealership are business associates and friends of my moms, so should'nt i just have them replace it since its all free anyway, or should i still try reseting the ecu and looking for a thrown code? my CEL is on, but i dont notice any decrease in performance
Old 02-08-2003, 06:04 AM

Has the idle been fixed yet?

1) Get the car up to operating temp by driving for 10 min.
2) Stop the engine and unplug the TPS
3) Start the car
4) Adjust idle speed to desired setting (650-750) Use the adjustment screw on the bypass on the Intake Air Control Valve. It's kind of in back of the TB twards the fire wall.
(This should work if your default throttle plate setting hasn't been touched.)
5) Stop the engine and plug the TPS in.
6) Start the car and check your idle speed.

That "should" work if the TB hasn't been messed with.

Then reset the ECU and at that point if you get an o2 code, have them service your car for free.

At least that's what I'd do.... But if the service is going to be free to you, you may want to have them do it. I really don't like letting the dealer work on my car. I feel like I lose control of it if anybody else touches it.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:19 AM

Ok so what you guys are saying is if the ks code comes up with other codes it is probably not bad just getting thrown off by something else? But if the knock sensor code is coming up by itself like in my car does this mean i should replace the ks or is something else making me retreve the ks code? Also if you have a bad coil should'nt it throw its own code? thanks
Old 02-08-2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Has the idle been fixed yet?

1) Get the car up to operating temp by driving for 10 min.
2) Stop the engine and unplug the TPS
3) Start the car
4) Adjust idle speed to desired setting (650-750) Use the adjustment screw on the bypass on the Intake Air Control Valve. It's kind of in back of the TB twards the fire wall.
(This should work if your default throttle plate setting hasn't been touched.)
5) Stop the engine and plug the TPS in.
6) Start the car and check your idle speed.

That "should" work if the TB hasn't been messed with.

Then reset the ECU and at that point if you get an o2 code, have them service your car for free.

At least that's what I'd do.... But if the service is going to be free to you, you may want to have them do it. I really don't like letting the dealer work on my car. I feel like I lose control of it if anybody else touches it.

Let us know how you make out.
a few people have commented on tuning down the idle, but my thing is that, my car doesnt idle high all of the time. just a few times a day, so every once in a while its perfectly normal, so if my idle is adjusted to be lower, when it does go back to the normal idle wont it kill itself?? and then when it should be idle higher it would just be normal, but when it would be normal it would just die.
the dealership said there was something wrong with my throttle, and my parts are in today, so im taking it in soon
Old 02-08-2003, 02:46 PM

Let the dealer do what ever it is he's gonna do. It aint costing you anything.

Post back here how the car runs when it comes back.. I'm curious.