4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Homemade intake questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 11:16 PM

Homemade intake questions...

first of all, I tried a search but couldn't find the answers I need. I plan to install a home-made intake using the directions here: http://www.drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html

I do have a few questions: What kind of hose should I buy to replace the stock hoses? I'm going to add a third nipple for the crank-case hose rather than using the smaller filter and the stock hose will definately not be long enough.

Second, how are the hose nipples attached to the intake pipe? Is the wall of the pipe thick enough to tap holes? The author of the site above didn't mention using any kind of sealing compound or gaskets so why wouldn't the connections leak massively?

Thx,
-Ace-
Old 02-07-2003, 02:12 AM

and one more question:

what about the ACT (Air Charge Temp) sensor that is mounted in the upper half of the stock air box? The directions give no hint about where to mount it in the new setup. What did you guys do?

-Ace-
Old 02-07-2003, 07:04 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

It's been a while since I made mine so I don't remember the correcnt hose size. I just took my stock hoses and new fittings into pepboys and matched them up. I just use the hose they have in the large rolls that you cut to desired length.

For the fittings, I drilled holes slightly smaller than the fittings and gently hammerd them into the pipe for a tight fit. Then I used JB weld on the outside of the pipe to seal the fittings into place. Then painted the whole thing.
The mistake I made the first time was that I drilled the holes to the correct size of the fittings. The fittings fit in too loosely and then I just tried to use silicone sealent to make them air tight. This did not last long. The fittings became real loose and I had really bad air leaks.
I recomend the hammering and JB weld method.
After I drilled the holes(slightly smaller than the fitting size) I had to used a metal file to make the hole just perfectly small enough(or big enough, depending on how you look at it) to make it so the fittings could be tapped in with a hammer.
There are many different fittings that will work. I recomend findig some that will stick into the inside of the pipe the least and outside the pipe the most(at least and inch). I even filed down the end so that less than a 1/4" of the fitting would protrude into the pipe. this will cause less air turbulance.

Doing this project totally right will end up costing more than $15 and an afternoon of time. I enjoy doing this type of stuff, but if you don't it is easier in the end to just get a Frankenar.

For the air temp sensor, I just zip-tied it next to the outside of the air filter.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:10 AM

Use whats called "heater hose" (Autozone sells it) and I'm pretty sure the hose size is 5/8 of an inch in diameter. I used a similar fitting method on the nipples, except I used solder (all I had)...no air leaks to this day (5k miles with it now).

I also highly reccomend using the third nipple, instead of the breather filter. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by gepetto
Use whats called "heater hose" (Autozone sells it) and I'm pretty sure the hose size is 5/8 of an inch in diameter. I used a similar fitting method on the nipples, except I used solder (all I had)...no air leaks to this day (5k miles with it now).

I also highly reccomend using the third nipple, instead of the breather filter. Good luck!
well just follow the instructions in that webpage, i made mine intake with it, and dude is the same thing, HP that others(frankencar, etc)

The temp sensor do what I30MikeD says, just zip-tied it next to the outside of the air filter

Good luck, Sebas
Old 02-07-2003, 10:50 AM
pjalst

Instead of using that fernco coupling go to this site and oder your hoses. It's look a lot neater. you will need a 3" inch hose and a 2.75-3" conector hose to go from the throttle body to the midpipe. here's my intake with the hoses from the site.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I will go ahead and use the hammer/JB weld method, I just need to make sure the fittings are stepped and not threaded. I'm like you MikeD, the mod is much more satisfying if I build it myself :-)

pjalst, thanks for the tip. That site has some interesting stuff. It's a little too spendy though, I'm a cheap bastard so I'll just stick with the Fernco coupling.

-Ace-
Old 02-07-2003, 10:04 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by AceTKK

pjalst, thanks for the tip. That site has some interesting stuff. It's a little too spendy though, I'm a cheap bastard so I'll just stick with the Fernco coupling.

-Ace-
I thought the same thing, but found the fit with the ferco was not that great. It will work though, I used it for months.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pjalst
Instead of using that fernco coupling go to this site and oder your hoses. It's look a lot neater. you will need a 3" inch hose and a 2.75-3" conector hose to go from the throttle body to the midpipe. here's my intake with the hoses from the site.
Please do us a favor and clean that engine bay.

-Nick
Old 02-08-2003, 10:59 AM
pjalst

Originally posted by 95CustomMaxima

Please do us a favor and clean that engine bay.

-Nick
I'll do it after the salt season is done, No sense cleaning it so it can get dirty when the next snow storm comes

Old 02-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Old Timer

Originally posted by AceTKK
and one more question:

what about the ACT (Air Charge Temp) sensor that is mounted in the upper half of the stock air box? The directions give no hint about where to mount it in the new setup. What did you guys do?

-Ace-
As for the ACT, you can drill another 3/4 inch hole in the side of the tubing for this as well if you'd like. Use the stock rubber gromet with the sensor, and it should fit rather nicely. I did this on my wife's homemade, but left the sensor in the original location on my homemade intake. Any questions, feel free to PM me. I've made 3 of these so far.

David