4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Got into a Small Accident now Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 11:48 PM

Help Got into a Small Accident now Steering Problems

Ok, I did a search and went through about 400 posts just to find that no one posted about this problem. So I need some help.

So let me tell you about the accident:

What happend tonight was that stupid me decided to drive out while it was snowing, the initial loss of traction while pulling out should have been a warning sign. Anyway I get to my destination fine but when I left that's when the snow really messed me up. I pull out of this tight parking lot, had to turn the wheel all the way to the right to turn out of the lot and as I slowly accelerated I found myself in a skid that threw my car into a curb at less than 2mph. It just so happened that my left tire rams right into the curb while my steering wheel was turned fully to the right. Now it would seem that I have major steering problems, the steering wheel is very inresponsive but still good enough to control the car (kind of feels like mush when I turn the steering wheel). I don't know what broke in this accident, but my initial concern was for the AXLES. Anyone have any input as to what might have gotten damaged? And if so how much might it cost to fix. . .

*sigh* Lesson learned, DON'T DRIVE IN THE SNOW!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 01:10 AM

Sounds like you might have knocked your tie-rod out of adjustment. Get an alignment and check for a bent rim. They will find if any parts are damaged under there as well.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You ment something and now your alignment is way off. Thats why the steering feels funny.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:53 AM

Oh Forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention that when I break there's this grinding feeling on the pedel and going about 20mph the breaks barely work. Do you guys think I damaged the power steering mechanism?

Thanks guys, all input is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:54 AM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Help Got into a Small Accident now Steering Problems

alignment and maybe control arm. i did the same thing, almost. when pulling into the parking lot at work there is a culdesac i usually take at about 30. it was snowing, so i was going about 15mph andgoing into the turn the car skided. the wheel was turned all the way to the left and steering became almost non-responsive and took alot of effort. the car was also out of alignment and the wheel would "knock" constantly even after i changed to the spare. my OEM 2001 GLE rim and SP Sport A2 were fine, though. the rim just had some minor curbrash and the tire has no scratches on it whatsoever.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Help Got into a Small Accident now Steering Problems

Originally posted by dko
alignment and maybe control arm. i did the same thing, almost. when pulling into the parking lot at work there is a culdesac i usually take at about 30. it was snowing, so i was going about 15mph andgoing into the turn the car skided. the wheel was turned all the way to the left and steering became almost non-responsive and took alot of effort. the car was also out of alignment and the wheel would "knock" constantly even after i changed to the spare. my OEM 2001 GLE rim and SP Sport A2 were fine, though. the rim just had some minor curbrash and the tire has no scratches on it whatsoever.
dko how did you fix the knocking? alignment?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Help Got into a Small Accident now Steering Problems

So did you ever find the root of the problem? How much did it cost? I just ran into the exact same problem except no snow, just speeding around a corner and began sliding into a curb. Damage to my rims and steering is battered but all else is well. Also, did you have to find new rims? The lowest I've found was $212 per rim (for 2000 GLE). Did you find anything lower?

Originally posted by Nosamo
Ok, I did a search and went through about 400 posts just to find that no one posted about this problem. So I need some help.

So let me tell you about the accident:

What happend tonight was that stupid me decided to drive out while it was snowing, the initial loss of traction while pulling out should have been a warning sign. Anyway I get to my destination fine but when I left that's when the snow really messed me up. I pull out of this tight parking lot, had to turn the wheel all the way to the right to turn out of the lot and as I slowly accelerated I found myself in a skid that threw my car into a curb at less than 2mph. It just so happened that my left tire rams right into the curb while my steering wheel was turned fully to the right. Now it would seem that I have major steering problems, the steering wheel is very inresponsive but still good enough to control the car (kind of feels like mush when I turn the steering wheel). I don't know what broke in this accident, but my initial concern was for the AXLES. Anyone have any input as to what might have gotten damaged? And if so how much might it cost to fix. . .

*sigh* Lesson learned, DON'T DRIVE IN THE SNOW!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 05:40 PM

The control arm seems to be designed to collapse in these situations. This may or may not be your problem, but I'd definitly look at it. It's supposed to be flat; look at the undamaged side to compare.

If it were me I'd stop driving the car immediately. If you have a good set of tools, the whole suspension is rather easy to work with. Otherwise, I'd take it to a shop to get it checked out. It’s not worth driving on a damaged suspension IMHO.

When I first got the car I did the same thing. I disassembled the suspension, looked for anything out of alignment, and then went to www.car-part.com to get replacements. Went to the dealer and went through the FSM, etc.

For me it cost:
Rim refinishing = $90
Lower control arm from salvage yard = $50
Sway bar connect from dealer= $11
Plus an alignment and about 8 hours one very late night.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Help Got into a Small Accident now Steering Problems

The problem was solved and fixed for $300 and change. It turned out to be a bent control arm, so I got that replaced ($150 for the part) had to get an alignment and get the wheels balanced also. Lucky for me the rim didn't bend but I suspect my rotors to be warped cause when I break hard I feel the steering wheel vibrate more than normal. All in all it was a very quick job that took about 3-4 hours, and my car seems to be running fine now except for a weird moaning sound that started up recently, not sure if its due to the previous accident.