4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

does this sound like a bad MAS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 01:05 PM

does this sound like a bad MAS??

i work mostly on DSM's and hondas so that i why i have come here to ask for some maxima owners' help. my friend has 99 maxima (not sure of the trim level) and calls me up saying that his engine dies as soon as he starts to give it gas when pulling out of his parking spot at home. he recently installed some cheap *** intake off of ebay and i went over to take a quick look the other day . he installed the filter correctly and i thought he might have left the power unit disconnected from the MAS, but everything was intact. no vacuum lines were missing or disconnected and all seemed to be fine. i asked him to start the car and as soon as i gently pulled on the throttle cable, the car died. i didn't have time to stay and take a really indepth look at everything so i told him to throw the stock air box back on. same thing still occurs. i am going to go back out for a second look today, but i wanted to see if any of you have had a similar problem or could point me in a possible direction. he is throwing a CEL code but i do not have an OBD-II diagnostic tool to use. he also just had a starter replaced recently as well. are the MAS (mass air flow sensors) on these cars known for going bad? i mean if all else fails i will see if it is something as simple as the battery, but i really wanted to get an idea from people who drive these cars and possibly do their own work themselves. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:30 PM

The MAF Sensor on the Maxima isn't known for going bad more than on any other car really, so that's probably not the issue. Check out the TPS (throttle position sensor). Those are notorious on all kinds of Nissans. The only other thing I can think of is if your friend messed with the stuff inside the MAF and didn't tell you for fear of looking like an idiot. Also, check to see that all sensors are in place (as you said you did) and for areas where unmonitored airflow can get in the intake.

As you probably already know from working on DSMs and such, Intakes aren't all that complex and as long as you have everything on it as you did with the old intake, it should be ok.

Like I said, check the TPS. It's a pain in the butt, but it is the root of a lot of drivability problems. If the car is an Auto, I can see how it stalled out. If it was a stick, you can keep it going, but its very difficult to drive with a shot TPS.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:26 PM

thanks for the suggestions i really appreciate it. i did some reserach and found that the TPS is a common failure so i will go ahead and check that out. first i am going to diagnose that CEL code through the ECU tonight to give me some idea of where to start. i will definetly take a look at the TPS and check the resistance of the connector pins. i hope this turns out to be a quick/easy fix...i would hate to see this kid have to fork out a lot of money to fix something he might have damaged on accident. once again thanks for the quick helpful reply.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

it sound like what happened when i destroyed my MAF. Check the TPS, and if it's not that, ask your friend how he took off the MAF, and how he handled it while off. If he did what my stupid *** did, he unscrewed the plug off of the MAF, instead of unplugging it, and broke the connectors inside the MAF.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If the car cannot rev above 2000 rpm (maybe 3000 can't remember) then the the MAF signal is not getting to the ECU maybe bad wiring at the MAF connector. Check the engine codes wither by your OBD II or from the ECU. You can check what they mean on the org!
Old 02-07-2003, 10:13 PM

problem fixed for now

If he did what my stupid *** did, he unscrewed the plug off of the MAF, instead of unplugging it, and broke the connectors inside the MAF.
this was exactly the problem. i showed up at his house and i tap into the ECU to figure out what code the CEL is throwing. he was throwing 0102, which is the MAF sensor (a.k.a. MAS) code. i figured this had to be the problem, but wanted to clear the CEL code for him anyways so i took the reading at the same time. then i took off his intake tube and brought it into the house. he told me that he took of the section of the MAS that has the plug on it...that was his mistake. in doing so, he ripped the 3 prongs right in half at the solder points. i took the section by removing the 4 tiny screws and had to bend/modify the prongs so that they all touched. then i hooked it back together, threw it back on the car, and cleared the CEL code. the car runs great now, but i told him to pay close attention for the next few days. i have a good feeling that he needs to replace the MAF sensor, but the dealer quoted him $650! anyone know where he could get one used or for a cheaper price? OR, what i would rather do, i might take the top of the MAF sensor off and try to get to the 3 prongs and solder them back together. i may have to deal with the circuit board, but i will have to see if i can remove it.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:25 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Re: problem fixed for now

Originally posted by g9s0x

this was exactly the problem. i showed up at his house and i tap into the ECU to figure out what code the CEL is throwing. he was throwing 0102, which is the MAF sensor (a.k.a. MAS) code. i figured this had to be the problem, but wanted to clear the CEL code for him anyways so i took the reading at the same time. then i took off his intake tube and brought it into the house. he told me that he took of the section of the MAS that has the plug on it...that was his mistake. in doing so, he ripped the 3 prongs right in half at the solder points. i took the section by removing the 4 tiny screws and had to bend/modify the prongs so that they all touched. then i hooked it back together, threw it back on the car, and cleared the CEL code. the car runs great now, but i told him to pay close attention for the next few days. i have a good feeling that he needs to replace the MAF sensor, but the dealer quoted him $650! anyone know where he could get one used or for a cheaper price? OR, what i would rather do, i might take the top of the MAF sensor off and try to get to the 3 prongs and solder them back together. i may have to deal with the circuit board, but i will have to see if i can remove it.

I Highly doubt you can solder the pins back together. I got mine used for $50. The dealer quoted me $350. Try a major junkyard near you. I had to travel 30 miles to get to a place that had one.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:27 PM

Re: problem fixed for now

www.car-parts.com
Any MAFS from 95-99 should work fine.

Originally posted by g9s0x