4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Time display dimming when brake pressed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Time display dimming when brake pressed

I have a 98 GLE, and for some reason when I am driving during the day and the time and thermostat display is bright, if I touch the brakes it will dim, like it does when I turn the headlights on. If anyone has any ideas on what the problem is please let me know.
Thanks
Dan
Old 02-08-2003, 10:29 PM

Re: Time display dimming when brake pressed

Originally posted by DRock
I have a 98 GLE, and for some reason when I am driving during the day and the time and thermostat display is bright, if I touch the brakes it will dim, like it does when I turn the headlights on. If anyone has any ideas on what the problem is please let me know.
Thanks
Dan
My friend I am most certainly think you have an , alternator problem. You should check with the recent recall on the alternators. Do a search for the "VIN" numbers that were recalled. Do not by any chance disregard this symptom! I almost burnt my my 97 max, by trying to jump start a dead alternator. Very dangerous stuff( for me that is).
Check with your dealer and let them inspect your alternator for codes that were recalled. Note , one dealer told me it was fine, until it caught on fire; then towed to the next Nissan dealer , where they replaced it free of charge. I only paid for a new alternator belt.
Good luck. If I am wrong , someone kindly bring it to my attention, but most importantly , help this Dude.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Time display dimming when brake pressed

Originally posted by maxdis1
My friend I am most certainly think you have an , alternator problem. You should check with the recent recall on the alternators. Do a search for the "VIN" numbers that were recalled. Do not by any chance disregard this symptom! I almost burnt my my 97 max, by trying to jump start a dead alternator. Very dangerous stuff( for me that is).
Check with your dealer and let them inspect your alternator for codes that were recalled. Note , one dealer told me it was fine, until it caught on fire; then towed to the next Nissan dealer , where they replaced it free of charge. I only paid for a new alternator belt.
Good luck. If I am wrong , someone kindly bring it to my attention, but most importantly , help this Dude.
i agree bro. you're alternator is on it's way out.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:50 PM

Re: Re: Time display dimming when brake pressed

I had a similer problem. Nissan replaced the recalled alternator and all was well, but i had several lose wires and connections which took 2 more 3 hour visits to Nissan, who did fix it, free of charge.

Tell them (Nissan) you have an electrical problem and ask to have someone test your alternator.

---Lost