4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

suggestions for a bose sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 08:53 AM

suggestions for a bose sub

hi all, new member here.

i just recently purchased a '96 Nissan Maxima SE. i like the current system and i'm not looking to replace anything. however, i would like to add a sub. (yes, i already read the 4th Gen FAQs)

i want to add an 8" or 10" sub to add onto my current bose system. IMO, that's all i need right now. unfortunately, i am skeptical of the FAQ simply because of the fact that i have heard probably over 12 different suggestions on adding a sub to my bose system (nothin personal!). but this faq still makes the most sense to me.

2) I'm happy with the Bose system, but just want to add a sub. Is this possible?

Yes, you have to make sure you have a sub amp (or converter) that can take speaker level inputs. Tap the amp into the rear speakers between the speaker and the amp. However, once again you'll be getting the "after Equalization" sound, so the signal will not be accurate.
what exactly are the "speaker level inputs"?--is that referring to only the ohm level, or is there something else i should be aware of? what should i expect to hear from the "after Equalization" sound after installing a sub? what subs would you recommend adding?

would a bose:
sub/amp from an escalade
or
active sub from an audi s3
or a sub/amp from an nissan 350z work?

please, i'd like to hear what you have to say. i've been to outerspace and back with this question.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: suggestions for a bose sub

Originally posted by hydroMaxNinja
hi all, new member here.

i just recently purchased a '96 Nissan Maxima SE. i like the current system and i'm not looking to replace anything. however, i would like to add a sub. (yes, i already read the 4th Gen FAQs)

i want to add an 8" or 10" sub to add onto my current bose system. IMO, that's all i need right now. unfortunately, i am skeptical of the FAQ simply because of the fact that i have heard probably over 12 different suggestions on adding a sub to my bose system (nothin personal!). but this faq still makes the most sense to me.

what exactly are the "speaker level inputs"?--is that referring to only the ohm level, or is there something else i should be aware of? what should i expect to hear from the "after Equalization" sound after installing a sub? what subs would you recommend adding?

would a bose:
sub/amp from an escalade
or

please, i'd like to hear what you have to say. i've been to outerspace and back with this question.

Look, if you go to Bose website and find out about their car audio systems they talk about subs. The reason why it is POINTLESS to add a sub is because they program the headunit for what's specifically in the car. So if you add or changed anything in the sound system then it will make the system sound worse. That's why people buy completely different units so they get the best quality sound with a from a sub that won't take away from the original system.
If you want you can try and get a system from a new Altima or Maxima those bose systems come with a 10" sub I think.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:23 AM

What the FAQ is attempting to describe is that you would need a signal to the "SUB" you want to add-on. You can get the signal from low-level RCA output which most aftermarket headunits have but not on our Bose headunit.

So what is "speaker level inputs"? It is a high-level or actual sound signal going to rear speaker. Using high-level to low-level adaptor or if your amp(bose amp with sub) has high-level input, you can just split the wires connect it to the amp/sub using adaptor or direct if amp provides.

Btw, explaining fundamental of audio in this thread isn't wise as it can go on and on. What you are attempting won't sound as good as what your friend has who spent few hundred to thousand $ on a complete system from headunit to mids to subs that are connected from crossover to amps.

As audiophile and high-performance car lovers say factory/stock sucks.

Anyway good luck!
Old 02-12-2003, 09:36 AM

Hydromax....check out this site...you can buy an adapter to add to your current bose system and add any amp/sub combo you want!
PAC-bose adapter
Old 02-12-2003, 09:49 AM

Re: Re: suggestions for a bose sub

Originally posted by hacim105

Look, if you go to Bose website and find out about their car audio systems they talk about subs. The reason why it is POINTLESS to add a sub is because they program the headunit for what's specifically in the car. So if you add or changed anything in the sound system then it will make the system sound worse. That's why people buy completely different units so they get the best quality sound with a from a sub that won't take away from the original system.
If you want you can try and get a system from a new Altima or Maxima those bose systems come with a 10" sub I think.
Andi Baritchi's maxfaqs clearly explain how to add a sub to bose without ruinging stock bose sound

Look in the electrical subtopic of this webpage to find the best setup for the sub, crossovers, amp etc without ruining your bose.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: suggestions for a bose sub

thanks a lot for your help guys!--but i still have an unanswered question...would i be able to use any of those bose subs from different cars, or would i need to buy converters or what? i'm looking to get one of those because they are being sold on ebay for fairly cheap, and i'm not trying to get a bunch of installation work done either.

this is my ideal situation:
buy a sub/amp from a 2002 nissan 350z
buy a box for it
tap the amp into the rear speakers
install it pointing towards (or maybe away) from the little hole in the arm rest
have the same system, except for some better bass

would this work?--am i living in a dreamland? do i really have to go through much more trouble?
Old 02-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: suggestions for a bose sub

Originally posted by hacim105
I don't want to start a war here, but I don't know where you got the impression that adding a sub through a converter or the use of high-level inputs would ruin the sound of the Bose OEM system.

I added a 12" sub to my 96 Bose by tapping off of the signal at the rear speakers and running them into the high-level inputs on my FRF amp. If you do not know about high-level inputs, you can either call crutchfield and order their "how to install a car stereo" guide, or you can go to a shop and ask a few questions. Either way, you will learn that they are inputs that allow yuo to use mormal audio signal that would normally go to ao speaker and use it to send signal to the unputs of an amp.

I tried a converter and it sounded like crap, so I just used the high-level inputs on my amp. The adapter that Max96LSU referrs to is a VERY good one- it will most likely work a lot better than the one that I tried. Also, sounddomain.com has some adapters that supposedly work well.

Try posting theis question in the audio forum for better response. Also, try the FAQs in the audio section- it has better Bose info...
Old 02-12-2003, 12:35 PM

which sub/amp did you add on, phen?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

which sub/amp did you add on, phen?
I have a Rockford Fosgate 100aII amp. It is also for sale. I am using it to run a single 12" sub in a sealed box. It rounds out the Bose system fairly well.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:24 PM

very cool--thanks...i'll keep the sale in mind. how much are you letting it go for?
Old 02-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

very cool--thanks...i'll keep the sale in mind. how much are you letting it go for?
$50
Old 02-12-2003, 07:48 PM

Re: suggestions for a bose sub

hi all, new member here.

would a bose:
sub/amp from an escalade
or

http://bba01.bus.utexas.edu/Matthew.Quon/max/sub.htm