4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

B&M Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 06:28 PM

B&M Short Shifter

Who here has the B&M short shifter do you like it?? My friend has a smc is it?? short throw in his 98 its really notchy though. The B&M does it sit any lower than stock? Thanks for the input.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:35 PM

I have the B&M short shift in my Max and I love it. It makes the shifter sit way lower than stock and the shifting is much quicker. Two of my friends who drove my car have both purchased the B&M shifter for their cars since driving my car so they must of though pretty highly of it too. Hope this will help your decision.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by chris_from_calg
I have the B&M short shift in my Max and I love it. It makes the shifter sit way lower than stock and the shifting is much quicker. Two of my friends who drove my car have both purchased the B&M shifter for their cars since driving my car so they must of though pretty highly of it too. Hope this will help your decision.
Wow a short shift for a max that is actually shorter!!! Both stillen and pacesetter are shorter shifts but the shifter is still way up there.... where did you get your B&M short shift and how much do they retail for?
P.S. I went to the B&M site www.bmracing.com and they dont have a maxima short shift on display for manual.... you an auto?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i would trust b&m over pacesetter any day, pacesetter seems like cheap crap, but, it is cheap. does anyone have a deal on this shifter?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:30 PM
JsL

If you are interested in buying one, my friend sells them for cheap. Under 140. Search under my name and look for the thread I posted with contact information.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by JsL
If you are interested in buying one, my friend sells them for cheap. Under 140. Search under my name and look for the thread I posted with contact information.
not that i mind paying for quality, but the pacesetter can be had for <$60, and it is adjustable. any way to get a group deal? maybe get the price under $100?
Old 02-28-2003, 11:22 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

questions..

I heard that the shifter retains "factory smoothness" of the stock one. Is this true?

I've tried the Pacesetter and that thing is way too notchy for my taste..

also
is the B+M adjustable in height?

thanks
Old 02-28-2003, 12:57 PM

Is the shorthrow easy to install?

Originally posted by JsL
Old 02-28-2003, 02:21 PM

I would highly recommend the B&M to anyone who wants a more sporty feel to their 5speed. It is not adjustable but in my opinion it feels great the way it is. Also it is easy to install(well as easy as any other shifter would be). Go and get one!
Old 03-01-2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
I would highly recommend the B&M to anyone who wants a more sporty feel to their 5speed. It is not adjustable but in my opinion it feels great the way it is. Also it is easy to install(well as easy as any other shifter would be). Go and get one!
do you have any pics of it installed?

I'd just like to see how low it sits.

how would you describe the shifts in comparison to factory ones? How easy is the downshift? are they notchy?
any things you're not happy about ?
Old 03-01-2003, 12:31 PM

i've fooled around with a pace setter sts, and its sorta cheesy - you gotta shave the bottom a bit for it to fit properly
Old 03-01-2003, 09:58 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Once again, you have no idea what you are talking about...

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
i've fooled around with a pace setter sts, and its sorta cheesy - you gotta shave the bottom a bit for it to fit properly
Old 03-02-2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760

In some cases the metal shield under the shifter housing has to be dented out so the shifter has play.... so he aint that stoopid.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:04 AM

It downshifts fine. For pics go to my site and go under the projectcars section. My car is there: 1996 maxima gle
There are some good pics of it off the car even connected to the tranny. I should be uploading some more pics soon.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:24 PM

It downshifts fine. For pics go to my site and go under the projectcars section. My car is there: 1996 maxima gle
There are some good pics of it off the car even connected to the tranny. I should be uploading some more pics soon.
Let us know when you do, we would like to see how low it sits in the cabin.... Did you HAVE to take apart the whole tranny to install it?
I thought we could install a short shiftter without taking apart the tranny>...??
Old 03-06-2003, 06:20 AM

Will the stock **** or other aftermarket ***** fit on this shifter? Does it sit in the same position in the shift cutout (front to back)? My pacestter sits much father forward than stock, it touches the front of the shift cutout in the forward gears which I really do not like.

The B&M replaces the pivot area so that probably contributes to it being smoother, but that is probably why it is more expensive.

The shifter rubbing the heatshield has to do with the part below the pivot being longer. The only way to shorten the throw is to increase the length of the part below the pivot. So any short throw shifter will probably require modifying (IE, beating the crap out of) the heat shield.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:57 AM

G.D pacesetter

Go with the B+M, trust me. I just had my pacesetter installed and really wish I didn't. The shifter looks like crap (most of their products do), the quality is much worse than the stock factory unit, so it feels like a downgrade. I'm having the same problems as Anachronism and believe me it sucks. 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears engage with a "clunk" as the shifter slams into the centre console trim, limiting it from going fully into gear (sometimes pops out). And who really cares if it is adjustable when the entire unit must be dissassembled (even the exhaust I believe) for adjustment. Learn from my mistake and go with B+M, do it right the first time.

P.S- The ball on the Pacesetter does not require any modification (shaving) and I don't believe you need a heatshield (I left mine off).
Old 03-08-2003, 01:19 PM

Re: G.D pacesetter

Originally posted by kink420
Go with the B+M, trust me..... Learn from my mistake and go with B+M, do it right the first time.
Somebody help me out here. I went to the B+M site and don't see where they sell a short shift for a 97 Max. What's the story????
Thks
Old 03-08-2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760

WTF you talking about - phoking haters...... most people with the pacesetter will tell you the same thing i did..... thanks for the backup MAXSRB
Old 03-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WTF you talking about - phoking haters...... most people with the pacesetter will tell you the same thing i did..... thanks for the backup MAXSRB
Most people with STS have the pacesetter. That is a LOT of people so you will no doubt get a fair number of detractors. By and large though, most are very happy with theirs. If you adjust it too short, you will get notchiness up the wazoo. As for hitting the shifter trim... I'm thinking that perhaps quality control is an issue at this price point. Still, I don't know how anyone can say the quality of the Pacesetter is any worse than the stock unit; it is of comparable quality.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:53 PM

I spend alot of times in these forums and seen alot of people complain about the pacesetter STS. The first time i have seen positive comments about it are in this thread..... Everyone says the damn thing is notchy, and feels much harsher than stock. Now that i see that B&M has a STS, i am going with B&M strictly because B&M strictly deals with shifters and transmissions so they must know what they are doing. Plus the next comments i heard about the B&M is that it is lower and has a superior shift quality. I do not trust a company that sells a catback for our car for 150US. Pacesetter seems cheap and by what i have read is cheap. Your welcome for the backup... as for some more backup go here => http://www.maximadriver.com/throw.html and read instruction #14. I dont want to be abusing my maxima for a shorter throw. Pacesetter sucks. So whats going on about a B&M STS groupdeal??
Old 03-08-2003, 10:07 PM

i second that
i'd just like to see how it sits
Old 03-08-2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by MAXSRB

I spend alot of times in these forums and seen alot of people complain about the pacesetter STS. The first time i have seen positive comments about it are in this thread..... Everyone says the damn thing is notchy, and feels much harsher than stock. Now that i see that B&M has a STS, i am going with B&M strictly because B&M strictly deals with shifters and transmissions so they must know what they are doing. Plus the next comments i heard about the B&M is that it is lower and has a superior shift quality. I do not trust a company that sells a catback for our car for 150US. Pacesetter seems cheap and by what i have read is cheap. Your welcome for the backup... as for some more backup go here => http://www.maximadriver.com/throw.html and read instruction #14. I dont want to be abusing my maxima for a shorter throw. Pacesetter sucks. So whats going on about a B&M STS groupdeal??
pacesetter makes teh crappiest catbacks too - their catback for the maxima costs like 170 bucks