4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power surge after spark plug change and throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 10:15 PM

Power surge after spark plug change and throttle body cleaning

i am in the process of doing a full tune up piece by piece. Today i did a throttle body cleaning and a spark plug change and alos changed the pcv valve. More to be done but....

when my wife took the car to work on the way home she noticed that the car surged at around 30 mph surging from 1500 to 1800 rpms and she even said that the lights all dimed when it did it... she was using cruse controle becuase late at night Poice in this area are bad.

i am planning on checking the codes tomorrow and i am already going to be replacing the fuel filter, o2 sensors (all 3) and also i know my knock sensor is bad so replacing that...

I am just wondering what would cause that.. could the spark plugs not be in right or is it becuase i am not done with the rest of the tune up

When i drove it i didnt feel any thing except the power inprovement... but then again i didnt go 30 - 40 mph

any ideas or should i just wait till i am totaly done all the replacements then run a code check

Thanks
Old 02-20-2003, 10:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Power surge after spark plug change and throttle body cleaning

Originally posted by Geophrum
i am in the process of doing a full tune up piece by piece. Today i did a throttle body cleaning and a spark plug change and alos changed the pcv valve. More to be done but....

when my wife took the car to work on the way home she noticed that the car surged at around 30 mph surging from 1500 to 1800 rpms and she even said that the lights all dimed when it did it... she was using cruse controle becuase late at night Poice in this area are bad.

i am planning on checking the codes tomorrow and i am already going to be replacing the fuel filter, o2 sensors (all 3) and also i know my knock sensor is bad so replacing that...

I am just wondering what would cause that.. could the spark plugs not be in right or is it becuase i am not done with the rest of the tune up

i did all that too....i recommend dont forget to clean the EGR valva, EGR pipes, if you want to replace the O2 do but i dont thing is necessary, just clean them with CB cleaner.

For you question...man, you can test your ecu anytime, if you want to do that, just do it!!!, if you want to do after all process end, do it again....is not a cheap computar that you have on you maxima.

When i drove it i didnt feel any thing except the power inprovement... but then again i didnt go 30 - 40 mph

any ideas or should i just wait till i am totaly done all the replacements then run a code check

Thanks