4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My Maxima hates snow...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Maxima hates snow...any suggestions?

Just moved north and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on snow tires for a 96 SE? I have Potenzas right now and they are awful in this weather. thanks...
Old 02-23-2003, 07:39 PM
aka UNCDooD

Blizzaks. expensive but i've heard they handle great in the snow.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have Coopers...they work fine for Jersey
Old 02-23-2003, 07:51 PM
The original VQ...

my maxima sucks in the snow too. I had some avenger mastercraft tires but they did help much.Now im just stickin wit my z rated kunho's n tthey are bad in the snow but screw it.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:42 PM
CaLSoNiC

My Maxima also sucks in snow. Thats why we have a Durango powered by 5.9L Maggnum!

Old 02-24-2003, 03:03 AM

I've got Goodyears and the max eats through the snow...I helped a guy who was stuck in a Chevy 4 wheel drive. No, i didn't pull him out. But I thought it was funny that his truck was stuck and Max was eating it up.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:07 AM

Re: My Maxima hates snow...any suggestions?

Originally posted by rhammers
Just moved north and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on snow tires for a 96 SE? I have Potenzas right now and they are awful in this weather. thanks...
It hats snow? I feed mine premium unleaded.

Mine goes real well good snow. I've plowed right through 1 1/2 feet of fresh snow. Get performance tires with mud/snow rating, and you should do fine.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:46 AM

Dude... any new all season tire will work fine. The Max's are AWESOME in the snow. The weight of the V6 engine above the driven wheels makes it a great snow performer.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:06 AM

I got rid of my all-season tires and bought some Blizzaks this winter (I'm up in central New York).
I'm definately glad I did that, and don't have any complaints about the Blizzaks.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:27 AM

Re: My Maxima hates snow...any suggestions?

Originally posted by rhammers
Snow tires dude
Old 02-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
my maxima sucks in the snow too. I had some avenger mastercraft tires but they did help much.Now im just stickin wit my z rated kunho's n tthey are bad in the snow but screw it.
Whoah dude. I have the mastercrap avenger GT's for my snow tires. They're not bad, but they don't like getting traction from a stop...no biggie...just go really easy.

Do not use summer tires in the winter.

Potenzas generally don't do well in the winter.

Specificallt winter tires are made by pretty much every main manufacturer; Yokohama, Toyo, BFGoodrich, Goodyear, even Mastercrap. Go to your local tire shop to find out more.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:46 AM

When I bought my first max used I think it had z-rated yokohamas on it. They were all season tires so I never really gave it much thought...till I was following traffic on the NY Thruway and my car suddenly pulled a 180 into the guardrail with no warning. My second max has snow tires this winter.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Max96
Dude... any new all season tire will work fine. The Max's are AWESOME in the snow. The weight of the V6 engine above the driven wheels makes it a great snow performer.
I disagree with this statement. Traction is in the tires, you got tires that don't perform, you're in for trouble.

With my all seasons, it even sucks in wet weather, worse in snow. I just don't drive my Max during winter time.

If you're looking for snow tires, there are many on the org who can give you good opinions.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket

I disagree with this statement. Traction is in the tires, you got tires that don't perform, you're in for trouble.

With my all seasons, it even sucks in wet weather, worse in snow. I just don't drive my Max during winter time.

If you're looking for snow tires, there are many on the org who can give you good opinions.
Pocket... you do have a good point. Just from my own experience though, my Max has been great with new all seasons. I had to head down to North Jersey from Hunter Mtn, NY last Monday. This was during the storm. I have new Dunlop A2's on the front and I had no problem at all with the blizzard. Traction, stopping and steering were all great. And yes, A snow tire will always do better than an all season in the snow.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:06 AM

Snow Tires and Speedometer

Have any of you guys had any problems with snow tires screwing up the accuracy of the speedometer? I used to have that problem in my suburban, but it generally would work itself out
Old 02-24-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Socrates
Have any of you guys had any problems with snow tires screwing up the accuracy of the speedometer? I used to have that problem in my suburban, but it generally would work itself out
How did it work itself out? Hehehe ....

Max96, I got to look at better all season tires, I'll check out A2s ... thanks for the comments
Old 02-24-2003, 03:54 PM
I'm needing a caw

Where do you want the condolences and funeral flowers sent to? Because you will DIE with Kumho Esta Supra 712s in the snow.

Old 02-24-2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Where do you want the condolences and funeral flowers sent to? Because you will DIE with Kumho Esta Supra 712s in the snow.
This winter's snow caught me by surprise and I was driving around with my Ecsta712's...
The came off that day and replaced with my winter setup...
Old 02-24-2003, 04:10 PM

watch out for black ice, i just moved to nj and i ended up on some1's lawn with a missing hubcap i feel like an *** - any1 know where i can get a hubcap other than the dealer on rt. 38?
Old 02-24-2003, 04:42 PM
The original VQ...

Na im fine ABS helps me in stoping and i just get speed going up hills . I drove around after the 15 inch hit CT and i made out fine till i started messin around pullin the ebrake and ****. And I drive slow around corners. i think winter tires is a waste of money because they are used so little.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by zboy
I got rid of my all-season tires and bought some Blizzaks this winter (I'm up in central New York).
I'm definately glad I did that, and don't have any complaints about the Blizzaks.
Blizzaks are great in snow but will burn up prety quickly if you run them on dry roads more than 50% of the time. The "special compound" that makes them grip so well when new is pretty much gone after about 10,000 miles (two winters, or so) - then they're pretty much like any $45 no-name snow tire.

For really good insight as to what'll work well in the snow, check the Canadian forum here at the org.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by MChapel

Blizzaks are great in snow but will burn up prety quickly if you run them on dry roads more than 50% of the time. The "special compound" that makes them grip so well when new is pretty much gone after about 10,000 miles (two winters, or so) - then they're pretty much like any $45 no-name snow tire.

For really good insight as to what'll work well in the snow, check the Canadian forum here at the org.
yeah, I wouldn't have got them if I was still in mass. I'm in Syracuse for school though, and they essentially dont really plow any of the back roads where all the college people rent (not sure about the rest of the city) so I spent a lot of time driving on snow and ice, and I didn't want to get anything with studs (which a lot of the canadians probably use)
Old 02-24-2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by zboy

yeah, I wouldn't have got them if I was still in mass. I'm in Syracuse for school though, and they essentially dont really plow any of the back roads where all the college people rent (not sure about the rest of the city) so I spent a lot of time driving on snow and ice, and I didn't want to get anything with studs (which a lot of the canadians probably use)
...actually, studded tires are pretty much banned in Canada because the studs tear up the roads pretty badly. And studded tires will increase your stopping distance on everything except icy or packed snow covered roads.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:36 PM

...actually, studded tires are pretty much banned in Canada because the studs tear up the roads pretty badly. And studded tires will increase your stopping distance on everything except icy or packed snow covered roads.
huh...I figured them being legal in the northern US would just continue across the border. I drive home to mass. a lot and they're not allowed there either.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:10 AM

amen