4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Steel vs Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 10:14 PM

Steel vs Aluminum

Ok, sitting on my bedroom floor is a Budget Y pipe, budget B pipe (with magnaflow resonator) and a borla pro xs muffler with intercooled tip.

one of the concerns i had with the install was that there would need to be about a 1 foot extension pipe welded between the b pipe and the pro xs muffler. I was trying to keep my exhaust all stainless steel, and the guy at the muffler shop said that he does alumanized piping and told me that stainless steel runs about 60 dollars per foot and that i shoudnt worry about putting aluminum on my exhaust.

here are my series of questions.

I was given an estimate over the phone of 150 for the y, b and muffler install, is that a good price?
should i compramise my all stainless exhaust with a 1 foot extension piece of aluminum? How long will the aluminum last. i want something that i will never have to mess with agian and wont rust.

im not in a rush to get this installed and want to find the best way to do it.

thanx
Old 02-23-2003, 10:20 PM

$150 is about average pricing, I am not sure about going all stainless, you might have problems with rusting with the aluminum though. If you do go with the aluminum, spray it with a rustproofer first. By the way, I was thinking about getting the Budget B pipe as well, so let me know how it goes.
Good luck,
Dan
Old 02-24-2003, 05:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Steel vs Aluminum

Originally posted by Dstyle
Ok, sitting on my bedroom floor is a Budget Y pipe, budget B pipe (with magnaflow resonator) and a borla pro xs muffler with intercooled tip.

one of the concerns i had with the install was that there would need to be about a 1 foot extension pipe welded between the b pipe and the pro xs muffler. I was trying to keep my exhaust all stainless steel, and the guy at the muffler shop said that he does alumanized piping and told me that stainless steel runs about 60 dollars per foot and that i shoudnt worry about putting aluminum on my exhaust.

here are my series of questions.

I was given an estimate over the phone of 150 for the y, b and muffler install, is that a good price?
should i compramise my all stainless exhaust with a 1 foot extension piece of aluminum? How long will the aluminum last. i want something that i will never have to mess with agian and wont rust.

im not in a rush to get this installed and want to find the best way to do it.

thanx

The pipe is aluminized steel, not aluminum. A thin plating of aluminum is deposited on a mild steel pipe to prevent (or at least slow down) rusting of the pipe. This is a common practice and it is much cheaper than stainless steel, as you found out. The trades are: aluminized steel is cheaper but won't last as long as the stainless steel. How long it will last depends on where you live and your driving habits. You make the call.