4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Don't use Synthetic in high mileage cars ! What about Semi or Synthetic Blend Oils ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Those of you who use synthetic, are you changing the oil filter at the same intervals as the oil, or more often?
I always replace the filter at the same time. It is a relatively inexspensive part and has no negatives when changed with the oil. Better safe than sorry, especially for only about $5/per filter.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:38 PM

What, you mean how many of us only have a high school education?
I resent that statement. BTW I'm in college and going to a technical school, being a "mechanic" takes alot more than you think.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:12 PM

I always change the filter when I change my oil, wether Im using synthetic or regular oil.......
Old 03-27-2003, 10:53 PM

Oil is Oil

Oil is Oil if it meets the API grade. 95% of you will never have an oil related problem as long as you own your car, provided you change your oil (and filter) with mfg. recomended quality grade oil and viscosity, at 3500 mile or less intervals.

This is true because you will not own your current car long enough to worry about it.

Also, most of us don't have the space or chance to run your engines at high RPM's for any appreciable lengths of time, or hot rod it often enough to cause oil-related harm.
If your engine wears under hard ( or normal) driving with dino oil, it would probably wear out with synthetic just the same because of your particular engines internal parts quality, assembly, and tolerances. And also because you may have abused the crap out of it.

Accidents, abuse, poor maintenance, and non-engine oil related problems will likely send your car to the junkheap long before using standard quality oil will.

On the other hand, if you put a blower or nitro unit on your car, viscosity, breakdown, and anti-foaming qualities are valid considerations. But again, just change you oil often, and your engine will be OK until it blows up from abuse, or you sell it.

The rest is hype, except for guys like Richard Petty. And he likely cares more as to which oil mfg. sponsor pays the most to put thier name on his car.

My "other" car is a 1986 Chevy S-10 4X4, 2.8 L V6, with 220K hard miles on it. I've NEVER had an engine problem since I bought it brand new 17 years ago, and it still runs like new. I've always used standard "dino" Valvoline oil. The same as I use in my Maxima.

I would probably use synthetic, if it was priced in the same universe as standard oil. It is better oil in many ways, but better for what application is the key to justify the cost of It's use. For my uses, it is not worth the cost, even if I were to change it half as often.

Just my opinions.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:06 AM

go back to dino oil?

I've used synthetic oil in my '99 max since about 8k (now at 90K) and have never had any problems with oil leaking. (knock on wood)
I'm wondering if it would do me any good or bad to go to dino oil now. I have to do a change real soon and I'm wondering if I should just save the money. I went to synthetic, way back then, because I didn't want to have to change the oil every month and half. (30,000/year) but now I do only about 10-12K/year so it won't be as often. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:03 AM

Re: Oil is Oil

Originally posted by Bgohan
Oil is Oil if it meets the API grade.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:07 AM

high milage

what is exactly high mileage for the maxima? My 97 has around 125,000 miles and if anyone was to get in , crank her up, and drive like a bat out of jail down the road and back. You would think, wow..just like new... i wonder if high mileage for a maxima is more like .. 275,000-400,000 miles ..cause with my girl it sure isnt 125k ...
Old 03-28-2003, 06:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Gramdacious

I always replace the filter at the same time. It is a relatively inexspensive part and has no negatives when changed with the oil. Better safe than sorry, especially for only about $5/per filter.
What I meant was if you are going to extended drain intervals with the synthetic oil, are you still changing the filter at 3000 miles, for example?
Old 03-28-2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd

I resent that statement. BTW I'm in college and going to a technical school, being a "mechanic" takes alot more than you think.
I resent the implication that a mechanic's opinion is more valid than any of ours. There's some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum, and I bet they're not mechanics by profession.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:22 AM
rcy

Originally posted by sandman1098
I always change the filter when I change my oil, wether Im using synthetic or regular oil.......
You're supposed to change your oil and filter on these new 'horseless carriages'? Damn, there goes the money I've been saving by not having to buy hay.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:54 AM

I resent the implication that a mechanic's opinion is more valid than any of ours. There's some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum, and I bet they're not mechanics by profession.
Understandable but you shouldn't sterotype people, I know some very smart people who are mechanics, and you shouldn't down on somebody just because they don't have a college education. There are plenty of people who don't have college educations who are just as smart, if not smarter than those who do. Just because you have a college education doesn't make you more knowledgeable than one who doesn't.
But I do understand why it would upset you that he implied that only a mechanics opionion is valid. A mechanic is usually more knowledgeable about the technical aspect of a car than with the properties of certain oils.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd

Understandable but you shouldn't sterotype people, I know some very smart people who are mechanics, and you shouldn't down on somebody just because they don't have a college education. There are plenty of people who don't have college educations who are just as smart, if not smarter than those who do. Just because you have a college education doesn't make you more knowledgeable than one who doesn't.
But I do understand why it would upset you that he implied that only a mechanics opionion is valid. A mechanic is usually more knowledgeable about the technical aspect of a car than with the properties of certain oils.
I'll drink to that.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:58 AM

Re: Oil is Oil

Originally posted by Bgohan
Oil is Oil if it meets the API grade. 95% of you will never have an oil related problem as long as you own your car, provided you change your oil (and filter) with mfg. recomended quality grade oil and viscosity, at 3500 mile or less intervals.

This is true because you will not own your current car long enough to worry about it.

Also, most of us don't have the space or chance to run your engines at high RPM's for any appreciable lengths of time, or hot rod it often enough to cause oil-related harm.
If your engine wears under hard ( or normal) driving with dino oil, it would probably wear out with synthetic just the same because of your particular engines internal parts quality, assembly, and tolerances. And also because you may have abused the crap out of it.

Accidents, abuse, poor maintenance, and non-engine oil related problems will likely send your car to the junkheap long before using standard quality oil will.

On the other hand, if you put a blower or nitro unit on your car, viscosity, breakdown, and anti-foaming qualities are valid considerations. But again, just change you oil often, and your engine will be OK until it blows up from abuse, or you sell it.

The rest is hype, except for guys like Richard Petty. And he likely cares more as to which oil mfg. sponsor pays the most to put thier name on his car.

My "other" car is a 1986 Chevy S-10 4X4, 2.8 L V6, with 220K hard miles on it. I've NEVER had an engine problem since I bought it brand new 17 years ago, and it still runs like new. I've always used standard "dino" Valvoline oil. The same as I use in my Maxima.

I would probably use synthetic, if it was priced in the same universe as standard oil. It is better oil in many ways, but better for what application is the key to justify the cost of It's use. For my uses, it is not worth the cost, even if I were to change it half as often.

Just my opinions.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

You guys ready for some real fact now?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=100060
Old 03-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: high milage

Originally posted by Zeks 97SE
what is exactly high mileage for the maxima? My 97 has around 125,000 miles and if anyone was to get in , crank her up, and drive like a bat out of jail down the road and back. You would think, wow..just like new... i wonder if high mileage for a maxima is more like .. 275,000-400,000 miles ..cause with my girl it sure isnt 125k ...
I haven't found high mileage yet, I bought my 96 Maxima SE in November of 1995 new. I have 203,000 miles and my car looks and runs like new other than an occasional issue with the timing chain tensioner not staying pumped up after it sits overnight in cold weather.

Original water pump, alternator, brake rotors that have never been turned once and still stop straight and true, original coil packs, no paint flaking like on 5th gen Maximas.

I run 1 quart of Castrol Full Syntec and the rest of the oil is Castrol Dino Oil, and I use OEM Nissan oil filters and change the oil every 3000 miles. 203,000 miles on that!

I don't think my motor needs anyone else's opinion of what oil to use!

White96MaxSE
Old 04-01-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: high milage

That's good to hear. I'm not trying to convince you of switching but consider this. You can run your car just fine on the cheapest tires you can find. ie.. maybe $35 each. Change them every 25k and be totally happy(as long as you don't overdrive the tires). But some chose to buy Michelins that cost around $100/per tire. Better performance and protection. The choice is yours. Use what you think is best for your car.

Originally posted by White96MaxSE

I haven't found high mileage yet, I bought my 96 Maxima SE in November of 1995 new. I have 203,000 miles and my car looks and runs like new other than an occasional issue with the timing chain tensioner not staying pumped up after it sits overnight in cold weather.

Original water pump, alternator, brake rotors that have never been turned once and still stop straight and true, original coil packs, no paint flaking like on 5th gen Maximas.

I run 1 quart of Castrol Full Syntec and the rest of the oil is Castrol Dino Oil, and I use OEM Nissan oil filters and change the oil every 3000 miles. 203,000 miles on that!

I don't think my motor needs anyone else's opinion of what oil to use!

White96MaxSE
Old 04-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: high milage

Originally posted by Jeff92se
That's good to hear. I'm not trying to convince you of switching but consider this. You can run your car just fine on the cheapest tires you can find. ie.. maybe $35 each. Change them every 25k and be totally happy(as long as you don't overdrive the tires). But some chose to buy Michelins that cost around $100/per tire. Better performance and protection. The choice is yours. Use what you think is best for your car.

Hi Jeff92se;

I hear what you are saying. I actually have ran 3 sets Michelin MVX Energy Plus tires for around 110.00 to 116.00 each, and I have achieved at least 50,000 miles on each set.

I know that was just your analogy for oil in this case, but I also ran only Mobil 1 synthetic in my Mustang GT from the time it was new, and I ran Mobil 1 in my VW Rabbit LS as well and I went 206,000 miles before someone ran into it and totaled it.

I could probably keep my engine cleaner in the intake tract and other places by using only pure synthetic oil, but because I like to stay at the 3000 mile oil change interval it would be more expensive to do that.

The syndicated columnist "Sikorsky" who is an ACE mechanic and writes weekly columns on automobile issues also wrote a book named "Drive it Forever" in which he suggests that you can use regular dino oil and add a quart or two of synthetic at each oil change and gain many of the advantages of synthetic oil and keep the cost of 3000 mile oil changes down. That is the approach I elected to take with my Maxima and it has worked so far.

I will admit that I might not have had as much carbon buildup in the intake manifold and EGR system if I had ran pure synthetic oil such as Mobile One, and I have mentioned before that I might change over to pure synthetic (Mobil 1 most likely)again in my Maxima.

I just thought I would add my two cents worth on the oil debate, partly because I am constantly doing battle with myself over the issue, and it is fun to read the discussion on it.

By the way I have read all of the threads on the .org about this discussion including oil analysis, etc., and I appreciate your efforts in this regard.

White96MaxSE