4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Estimated install time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 07:50 AM

Estimated install time?

Can anyone give me a rough idea of shop install time for a rear asb, sts and udp? Thanx.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:32 AM

Does 2.5 hrs sound fair?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by kink420
Does 2.5 hrs sound fair?
Depending on how old your car is, it can take 2 hrs just for the STS (rusted bolts, etc.), but all in all 2.5 to 3 hrs sounds about right.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Estimated install time?

Can anyone give me a rough idea of shop install time for a rear asb, sts and udp? Thanx.
Do it yourself.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:59 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Estimated install time?

i suppose you meant rsb (Rear Sway Bar). you can install that yourself within about a half hour. as for the STS and UDP, no clue. try to find a capable .org member in your area. good people to deal with and cheap to boot.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Estimated install time?

Originally posted by dko
i suppose you meant rsb (Rear Sway Bar). you can install that yourself within about a half hour. as for the STS and UDP, no clue. try to find a capable .org member in your area. good people to deal with and cheap to boot.
No, he said it correctly dko. He said "rear asb". The correct term is, in fact, Rear Anti-Sway Bar. Everyone (incorrectly) calls it a Rear Sway Bar though.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:08 AM

Thanx for the responses guys. I would attempt the installs myself Mr.Potatohead but all require the car to be off the ground and I have neither a lift nor a quality jackstand (not to mention a couple of other tools that could be required). With regards to the sts install I was wondering if my custom exhaust will pose a problem?
The instructions say to "unbolt" exhaust at the cat but my system is completely welded (no bolts).
Old 02-26-2003, 07:22 AM

Thanx for the responses guys. I would attempt the installs myself Mr.Potatohead but all require the car to be off the ground and I have neither a lift nor a quality jackstand (not to mention a couple of other tools that could be required). With regards to the sts install I was wondering if my custom exhaust will pose a problem?
The instructions say to "unbolt" exhaust at the cat but my system is completely welded (no bolts).
The ENTIRE exhaust is welded? Ohh! That might present some issues. To access the shifter easily, you have to disconnect the cat to Y-pipe connection. Otherwise, it would probably be a bear, if not impossible, to change out the shifter. It was hard enough for me and a buddy (Nissan mechanic) to do. It took us an hour approximately since we had to cut the bolts on the exhaust to access the shifter.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:12 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I still think you can do the RASB and UDP yourself. For the RASB, you'll need some ramps. Cheep to buy or just make your own from wood. And as for the UDP, you'll just need a 2-Ton jack which isn't that expensive. The money you save on labor can easily buy you the tools you need and more. Think about it. Both are pretty easy.

Not to sound totally dumb or anything, but what is an STS?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
Not to sound totally dumb or anything, but what is an STS?
Probably "short throw shifter".
Old 02-26-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by amb4081

The ENTIRE exhaust is welded? Ohh! That might present some issues. To access the shifter easily, you have to disconnect the cat to Y-pipe connection. Otherwise, it would probably be a bear, if not impossible, to change out the shifter. It was hard enough for me and a buddy (Nissan mechanic) to do. It took us an hour approximately since we had to cut the bolts on the exhaust to access the shifter.
I just installed my STS last weekend. I did it at the same time I was replacing my y-pipe. I didn't need to remove the CAT and was able to change out the shifter in about 90 min. It would have gone faster if I could have taken off the CAT but the bolts to the b-pipe were on too tight. I just removed the heat shield between the shifter and the cat. Not a hard job
Old 02-26-2003, 12:43 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Re: Re: Estimated install time?

Originally posted by ptatohed

No, he said it correctly dko. He said "rear asb". The correct term is, in fact, Rear Anti-Sway Bar. Everyone (incorrectly) calls it a Rear Sway Bar though.
rsb is the de-facto term around here, so i'm using that as a reference point.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Estimated install time?

Originally posted by dko

rsb is the de-facto term around here, so i'm using that as a reference point.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 02-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by clee130

Probably "short throw shifter".
Thanks Clee. Actually, I was thinking of getting one. I think it will help me get from P to D faster.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:20 AM

done

The install took about 3 hrs. Would have taken less if my exhaust wasn't so complicated. The udp is amazing, 80$well spent and the rasb definetly makes a noticeable improvement. I'm not too sure what's going on with the sts though. Although i'm loving the shorter shifts, it makes some strange grinding sounds sometimes when I lift off the gas in 2nd or 3rd. The location of the entire gate has moved upwards in it's housing (neutral is farther foreward) and now when I engage 1st, 3rd or 5th, the shifter contacts the plastic trim of the console (thunk). Can anyone with this mod comment on whether or not this is normal? Thanx.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: done

The install took about 3 hrs. Would have taken less if my exhaust wasn't so complicated. The udp is amazing, 80$well spent and the rasb definetly makes a noticeable improvement. I'm not too sure what's going on with the sts though. Although i'm loving the shorter shifts, it makes some strange grinding sounds sometimes when I lift off the gas in 2nd or 3rd. The location of the entire gate has moved upwards in it's housing (neutral is farther foreward) and now when I engage 1st, 3rd or 5th, the shifter contacts the plastic trim of the console (thunk). Can anyone with this mod comment on whether or not this is normal? Thanx.
So you did or didn't do it yourself?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:47 AM

no

I had it done at a shop.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: no

I had it done at a shop.
That's o.k. It was a lot to take on all at once if you haven't worked on your car before. Hopefully you watched them carefully so you can learn. Just start doing things by yourself, little by little. You'll build experience and confidence.