4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How Good Do the Bomz (ebay) CAI's Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 01:04 PM

How Good Do the Bomz (ebay) CAI's Fit?

I see them (or what look exactly like them) offered on ebay for ridiculusly low prices. Some even come with K&N filters. I would just like to know how well they fit on the car.

Anyone installed one yet? What are your impressions?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2003, 05:19 PM

anyone???
Old 03-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I bought one with the K&N filter. The one I bought didn't come with the maf adapter bolts/nuts. No biggy since I reused the bolts and bought some hex nuts at the hardware store. Kind of annoying since it is depicted in the picture.

Also the MAF adapter is PLASTIC. When you start tightening the nuts/bolts it starts to flex like crazy at the corners, bowing the center. It does come with a gasket. I don't want the fasteners to vibrate itself loose so I kept it that way; I even went as far as applying silicone to close any gaps between the MAF adapter and the MAF.

I installed only the midpipe and I left the lower air cleaner box intact. Assembling everything was cake. I'm not impressed with the oversized air intake temp sensor grommet being so big as to protrude several mm into the intake path. Also the 2 welded pipes for the hoses on one side is way too close; when I installed the rubber hoses they touch. Not sure how long it will take for them to wear away each other (if they ever do).

Impressions:

Nice sucking sound at idle; the engine sounds like a small block V8 when I accelerate at rate (part throttle, WOT) at any RPMs, sounds totally wicked at WOT, and I can feel a difference in all RPMs. That pretty much erased any negatives I had with the quality, etc.

However I wished those FS posts with used Frankencar intakes + JWT popchargers surfaced earlier because I would rather have the better quality of Frankencar and JWT popcharger
Old 03-03-2003, 05:54 PM

Anyone else? Has anyone tried to intall the lower pipe... the one that mounts into the fender to draw cold air?

I have a welder, grinder, drill press, etc... and will probably end up making my own adapter. I won't install a plastic one. I'm really just looking for piping that fits, and a good filter.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2003, 06:40 PM

If you dont care about looks then it will probably serve its purpose. Just remember: You get what you pay for.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The plastic works fine on mine, I got mine for procarparts.com and I am going to buy an e-bay cold air in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Eye Dirty
I bought one with the K&N filter. The one I bought didn't come with the maf adapter bolts/nuts. No biggy since I reused the bolts and bought some hex nuts at the hardware store. Kind of annoying since it is depicted in the picture.

Also the MAF adapter is PLASTIC. When you start tightening the nuts/bolts it starts to flex like crazy at the corners, bowing the center. It does come with a gasket. I don't want the fasteners to vibrate itself loose so I kept it that way; I even went as far as applying silicone to close any gaps between the MAF adapter and the MAF.

I installed only the midpipe and I left the lower air cleaner box intact. Assembling everything was cake. I'm not impressed with the oversized air intake temp sensor grommet being so big as to protrude several mm into the intake path. Also the 2 welded pipes for the hoses on one side is way too close; when I installed the rubber hoses they touch. Not sure how long it will take for them to wear away each other (if they ever do).

Impressions:

Nice sucking sound at idle; the engine sounds like a small block V8 when I accelerate at rate (part throttle, WOT) at any RPMs, sounds totally wicked at WOT, and I can feel a difference in all RPMs. That pretty much erased any negatives I had with the quality, etc.

However I wished those FS posts with used Frankencar intakes + JWT popchargers surfaced earlier because I would rather have the better quality of Frankencar and JWT popcharger
what's the part number for the biggest K&N filter that will fit nicely in the wheel well?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:52 PM
V^___^V

Re: How Good Do the Bomz (ebay) CAI's Fit?

Originally posted by n2oMike
I see them (or what look exactly like them) offered on ebay for ridiculusly low prices. Some even come with K&N filters. I would just like to know how well they fit on the car.

Anyone installed one yet? What are your impressions?

Thanks!
here's wat i think:

bomz CAI will provide smoother intake arm piping over stock, with K&N filter it'll provide mega airflow... and knowin tat CAI gives low/mid-end gain of HP and torque, it should provide excellent performance...

plus, those CAI intake arm seems paintable with dupli-color... so for looks it won't be tat bad, but i don't know if my views are true until the dyno comes out...

personally i'm very interested in tryin those bomz CAI after i aquire catback and y-pipe, rite now i'm happy with my shortram intake =)
Old 03-04-2003, 05:53 PM

This one comes with a really large K&N filter, and what definitely appears to be a metal MAF adapter. It costs $110 + $10 shopping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10368

Anyone with an opinion on it? We still haven't heard from anyone who's hooked up the cold air section of one of these Bomz units... and it would be nice to know if the whole thing will clear.

My car doesn't have fog lights, so I'll probably fabricate some sort of shield to protect the filter from debris.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think not having a foglight would be better, would let the cold air from outside ram agianst the filter.