4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Second thoughts about rear sway bar!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 03:15 PM

Second thoughts about rear sway bar!?

I am stock with the exception of a FSTB on the way. I had to choose (due to monetary reasons ) between an intake, RSB, or y-pipe. In the end I chose RSB because it was $110 shipped vs $170 of the Y-pipe and it made more sense to do handling before speed. Now, I called and ordered, and its no longer free shipping so its more around $135 shipped. Not only that, its backordered. Do you guys think I should cancel the order and get the Y-pipe? Anyone? I only have a day or two to decide before the order goes through!

Derek
Old 03-11-2003, 03:18 PM

Re: Second thoughts about rear sway bar!?

Originally posted by DerekJ212
I am stock with the exception of a FSTB on the way. I had to choose (due to monetary reasons ) between an intake, RSB, or y-pipe. In the end I chose RSB because it was $110 shipped vs $170 of the Y-pipe and it made more sense to do handling before speed. Now, I called and ordered, and its no longer free shipping so its more around $135 shipped. Not only that, its backordered. Do you guys think I should cancel the order and get the Y-pipe? Anyone? I only have a day or two to decide before the order goes through!

Derek

Do whatever you can afford first. I would do the y-pipe if I could do things over again.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:19 PM

Where are you ordering from? There is more than one option fro RSB's.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:24 PM

The sway bar was direct from Cattman. Seems like the Y is a great mod, but some suspension work on the stock would be nice too. Ill end up getting whichever I dont get first by summer.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:48 PM

Order for RSB has been cancelled, but now I cant get ahold of Budget Exhaust! Any tips?
Old 03-11-2003, 04:02 PM

do the poorman Hybrid Intake for 19.99.......

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=6
Old 03-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Dev

get a cheap intake...like those ones off ebay...or make one yourself
get a cheap fstb off ebay (like $15)
and get the budget ypipe

the fstb is cheap...but it doesn't do anything...
so if you're looking for gains more than a list of mods...don't get it
Old 03-11-2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Dev
get a cheap intake...like those ones off ebay...or make one yourself
get a cheap fstb off ebay (like $15)
and get the budget ypipe

the fstb is cheap...but it doesn't do anything...
so if you're looking for gains more than a list of mods...don't get it
If, as you say, the FSTB doesnt do much, which i believe...why would anyone buy the Cattman or Stillen ones for $200?

Derek
Old 03-11-2003, 05:07 PM

If, as you say, the FSTB doesnt do much, which i believe...why would anyone buy the Cattman or Stillen ones for $200?

Derek

Because they are overpriced and some people think that having a titainum (cattman) FSTB will make a noticable difference in handling. Most pople buy the stillen just for show since it looks nice, but it will perform the same as a e-bay brand or the courtesy one.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:58 PM

I don't know about anyone else when I put the FSTB in i felt a big difference in handling. I'm about to put in the Progressive RSB as soon as the freaking weather gets warmer. It's true that Stillen and Cattman FSTB are over priced. I got mine from Custommaxima.com and I'm satisfied.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

I 2 found

that the FSTB did make a diff.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Order for RSB has been cancelled, but now I cant get ahold of Budget Exhaust! Any tips?
Did you try all the options listed on their website?

I dont have an RSB, so can't comment on what kind of difference it makes. However, I think the Y-pipe's definately a good place to spend your money. An intake would be my next step, to get the most out of your free flowing exhaust.

theLoon
Old 03-11-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by superloon

Did you try all the options listed on their website?

I dont have an RSB, so can't comment on what kind of difference it makes. However, I think the Y-pipe's definately a good place to spend your money. An intake would be my next step, to get the most out of your free flowing exhaust.

theLoon
Forgot they are on EST and I am PST!
Old 03-11-2003, 09:44 PM

I noticed a VERY big difference in cornering when I got my FSTB. Dunno why you didn't, but body roll decreased in a big way.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:01 PM

i noticed a difference RIGHT away when i installed the FSTB...

now with the RSB, i noticed an even bigger difference.
Yet I would still recommend the y-pipe over anything else as a first mod....

For me, it's not very often i'm racing someone around corners/turns/etc... usually it's light to light...
Old 03-11-2003, 10:34 PM

Forgot they are on EST and I am PST!
The way I see performance driving, handling (RSB) is more important than a few extra horsepower (Y-pipe). If in your shoes, I'd go FSTB and RSB, then worry about the few extra horsepower with an intake and Y-pipe. I also don't think that an expensive intake makes a whole lot of difference in speed; seems it is more for the illusion (sound) of speed. Anyone who has been through any performance driving course (like police tactical pursuit) can tell you that consistency is key, not all out speed. That said, even 20 extra horses at the crank isn't as important as being able to control the car consistently throughout the course.
Intakes can only give a few extra horses (I seem to remember seeing on here about 4 horses). Unless you're at the strip, 4 horses will not be noticeable. What will be is the sound, which gives the illusion of speed. A y-pipe is good for about 8 horses (again, a number I remember from a thread here). On the street, I don't think either will make that big of a difference (let the flames begin, but these are my observations). Together, they will make about 12 extra horses, which may be a little noticeable, but not really a drastic difference, unless you call 0-60 in a tenth or two less drastic.
As for the FSTB, RSTB, and RSB, I have all 3. The FSTB does make a difference that even my wife can feel. It definitely tightens up the front end. The RSB is a drastic difference (my wife actually really loves it). It easily gives the most drastic handling change of the 3 bars. The RSTB does not give much of a difference. After I installed mine, I had my "expert" (wife) drive the car, and she didn't know I had done anything. Should be enough to convince anyone of the importance of a FSTB and RSB! The RSTB for street use is very questionable in my opinion, although I could feel the back end being a tiny bit tighter (but mine was installed before the RSB. If I'd installed the RSB first, I doubt I'd have noticed the RSTB installed later).
If in your shoes, here's what I'd do. Skip the Y-pipe and intake for now (because you said money is tight. I understand that all too well). You can always make a poorman's HAI and midpipe with instructions on the .org for cheap if the sound is that important to you. A few extra horses just aren't worth that much money (insert flames here for those who swear by intakes/y's) when compared to increased handling. In my experience, handling and braking are far more important than a few horses. Go with a cheap FSTB (e-bay or wherever for about $20. Cheap ones do exactly the same as expensive Stillen types). And get a RSB! They can be gotten from Cattman (mine) or Custom Maxima for about the same price, and both are made by Progress (I do know I got 2 "Progress" stickers with mine from Cattman. They make up for the intake and Y-pipe!). When you have these installed, you'll be amazed at the difference in handling. And unlike springs/struts, not only will you corner a whole lot better, but you'll retain the comfortable ride the Maxima is supposed to have (important at my age).

Dave
Old 03-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Dev

well i don't really fall into the placebo effect of mods.
if they don't change much...i won't say it did.
if someone stuck a fstb on your car one day and you didn't know...i doubt anyone would be able to say "hey my car handles better".
i have a fstb and a rsb, and my maxima still handles like A$$. its so pathetic its not even funny.
im doing springs/struts soon...so hopefully that will improve the handling to where i want it to be
Old 03-11-2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Dev
well i don't really fall into the placebo effect of mods.
if they don't change much...i won't say it did.
if someone stuck a fstb on your car one day and you didn't know...i doubt anyone would be able to say "hey my car handles better".
i have a fstb and a rsb, and my maxima still handles like A$$. its so pathetic its not even funny.
im doing springs/struts soon...so hopefully that will improve the handling to where i want it to be
This past Saturday, I had taken my FSTB off while cleaning my TB and IACV. I left it off so I could polish/wax it. Sunday morning, my wife took the car to church, and when she came back, she said she noticed the front end didn't feel as tight. I told her I had taken the FSTB off, and she said that it definitely makes a difference with it on.
And yes, if my car didn't have a FSTB and someone snuck one on, I would easily notice the difference. My wife noticed the lack of a FSTB.
This is the second Maxima I've had a FSTB on (current is a '97 SE, previous was a '96 GXE). The SE has a tighter suspension stock due to springs/struts that should be obvious to anyone who has driven both (I say that because it is even to my wife). The addition of a FSTB increases the front end "tightness" of both. I feel it more on the SE, mainly because I will push it in the corners a lot more than my old GXE. That is because of the "slop" feeling in the overall suspension of the GXE, and because it also had Toyo Ultra 800 (touring) tires (OT, but terrible tire regardless of the 700 treadwear rating).
As for your Maxima handling like A$$, what trim level do you have? Like I said, the SE is a definite improvement over my old GXE. I also keep in mind that a Maxima is not a Corvette or Viper. But with that said, with a FSTB and RSB, mine will easily outhandle the '99 and '00 Police Interceptors I used to drive.

Dave
Old 03-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Dev

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

This past Saturday, I had taken my FSTB off while cleaning my TB and IACV. I left it off so I could polish/wax it. Sunday morning, my wife took the car to church, and when she came back, she said she noticed the front end didn't feel as tight. I told her I had taken the FSTB off, and she said that it definitely makes a difference with it on.
And yes, if my car didn't have a FSTB and someone snuck one on, I would easily notice the difference. My wife noticed the lack of a FSTB.
This is the second Maxima I've had a FSTB on (current is a '97 SE, previous was a '96 GXE). The SE has a tighter suspension stock due to springs/struts that should be obvious to anyone who has driven both (I say that because it is even to my wife). The addition of a FSTB increases the front end "tightness" of both. I feel it more on the SE, mainly because I will push it in the corners a lot more than my old GXE. That is because of the "slop" feeling in the overall suspension of the GXE, and because it also had Toyo Ultra 800 (touring) tires (OT, but terrible tire regardless of the 700 treadwear rating).
As for your Maxima handling like A$$, what trim level do you have? Like I said, the SE is a definite improvement over my old GXE. I also keep in mind that a Maxima is not a Corvette or Viper. But with that said, with a FSTB and RSB, mine will easily outhandle the '99 and '00 Police Interceptors I used to drive.

Dave
i have an ES, which has the same suspension as an SE. i get incredible understeer. i thought it would be eliminated with the rsb, but thats not the case. having a tighter front end on a fwd car doesn't do so much. but having the back end tighter is supposed to do a lot, however i don't get oversteer from the rsb (adjusted to max). perhaps i need to put some more air in the rear tires so that it'll slide a bit instead of swaying.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You guys are nuts. The FSTB was one of my first mods, and it made a big difference. When I threw the RSB on, almost all understeer was eliminated, and if pushed, oversteer could be easily induced. This is an experience echo'd by MANY 4th gen owners. Perhaps some chassis are stiffer than others, but you have to have a freak car if you didn't feel any difference with the FSTB, and especially the RSB. Don't go fast without being able to even somewhat control that power. Period.

Point is, of the time you spend in your car, you spend a lot more time doing "comfortable" driving, driving along curves, changing lanes, making turns at a stop sign, etc than you do slamming on the gas and going WOT to hear the sound of your intake and feel your y-pipe. I asked this same question when I was about to do my suspension and the overwhelming response from the org was do the suspension, then the y-pipe (I already had a PR CAI). I am very happy I took everyone's advice.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:35 PM

i do to feel the difference with my fstb. got mine from courtesy and definately worth the $$$
Old 03-15-2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by hakk97se
You guys are nuts. The FSTB was one of my first mods, and it made a big difference. This is an experience echo'd by MANY 4th gen owners.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Dev

well...i can't say that you guys are wrong...cause i don't drive your cars...but from my experience, these mods don't do a hell of a lot.

my friend installed a fstb on his 99 max and didn't feel anything either....we both just got it to dress up the engine bay a bit with a cheap mod.

anyways...i say go for the ypipe.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:17 PM

If you don't drive your car hard, then you may not notice the difference when adding an FSTB and/or RSB. Driving like an enthusiast will make the mods much more apparent. The RSB is most apparent on those high speed sweeping curves, like a long curved on-ramp to a highway, or just a long cruve on the highway. The RSB makes the back end feel so planted that you can take corners much faster. On the original SE suspension, the backend on those long sweepers always felt like it was gonna let go any second. Concerning the FSTB, it doesn't reduce body roll. Rather, it tightens up the front end by reducing the flex caused by the front shock towers bendning slightly (therefore, messing with your front end alignment) from intense G moves in a corner. The FSTB keeps your front wheels in alignment during the high G turn, making your confidence to go thru that turn higher.

When I got my car, a 98SE, it was a case of the engine being faster than the suspension, so I immediately put on the FSTB and RSB. That setup with the stock motor was good enough for me for the 1st 100K miles.

DW
Old 03-16-2003, 01:51 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

I noticed the FSTB as well. I purchased the courtesy fstb and put it on and I took some turns that I usually go through and the roll was reduced. But the biggest difference was the RSB. I purchased the addco and install it. The differences was night and day. The biggest difference was when my car went over speed bumps, before the rsb, I noticed that my back end wiggle. After the rsb was installed, I went over the speed bumps again, and the back end was solid. Felt more stiffer. Definately a must do mod for the maxima. I also mod the handling first before performance. It makes the car much more enjoyable and I felt the power was enough at the time. (coming from a four banger automatic tacoma). Hope this helps.