4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 09:43 AM

cruise control problem

Hey guys needed your input into what can be wrong. Today while driving to work. I was using my cruise control. Everything was working fine. Then i hit the brakes to slow down and CC disengaged.
After that upon hitting set cost, nothing happened and CC doesnt engage anymore at all. The switch to turn CC works normal and I can turn it on and off just fine, but the buttons on the steering wheel just either dont seem to work anymore or something just gave.
Any idea's what it can be? How to test? what to fix?

thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Make sure your brake pedal is releasing all the way. There's a switch for the brake light which possibly works in conjuction with the cruise to indicate you stepped on the pedal. If that switch is hanging up or staying on your curise will not work.

There may even be another switch down there just for the brake/cruise release.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:26 AM

great thanks! i'll check that out. Just to give u a little more detail to make sure you have all the info...My cruise control had acted funny once before, where the cruise control light on the dashboard would start blinking out of no where while I was in cruise control and the CC would disengage. I would have to turn off the main switch and turn it back on and everything would be back to working normally.
Looking under the hook I had found a small thin hose which was going to the air filter unit which was a little out. I pushed it back in and i didnt have a problem with the CC for a month or more since then. Now today out of no where what i discribed above happened. So i am not sure if the hose had anything to do with it or it did. I will definately look into the brake pedal switch but if its not that then any idea what else it could be? what usally goes wrong with CC? the actuator which holds the diaphram or the computer? what kinda money am i look at if i have to replace one of these things?
Old 03-15-2003, 04:43 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

if the "cruise" light starts blinking, the system indicates a problem w/ the cruise control system, from what you're describing, this seems to happen occasionaly to you, but to be safe, you may want to have the cruise control system checked out to see what the cause for the blinking light is