4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

just installed frankencar mid-pipe/stillen cone

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 11:53 AM

just installed frankencar mid-pipe/stillen cone

i'm not sure if this is normal, but the car is a lot louder at idle. i can hear the intake sucking in air quite loudly...its not that big a deal, but i never noticed it after installing intakes on my friend's hondas. seems to pull a little stronger in the midrange, with no loss of low end at all. the sound is intoxicating. did a quick stoplight run with my friend's 96 ls400 and beat it pretty easily. anyway i'm quite satisfied and would definitely recommend this setup to anyone considering it.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:13 PM
ivelweyz

Re: just installed frankencar mid-pipe/stillen cone

Originally posted by SoLid97SE
i'm not sure if this is normal, but the car is a lot louder at idle. i can hear the intake sucking in air quite loudly...its not that big a deal, but i never noticed it after installing intakes on my friend's hondas. seems to pull a little stronger in the midrange, with no loss of low end at all. the sound is intoxicating. did a quick stoplight run with my friend's 96 ls400 and beat it pretty easily. anyway i'm quite satisfied and would definitely recommend this setup to anyone considering it.
Great but for the price of a Stillen cone you can get the whole FRANKENCAR intake and then some...

Old 03-23-2003, 06:45 PM

its normal.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:03 PM

Yeah, before I put the midpipe on all I had was a K&N cone filter and it didnt make the sucking noise when it was idling. Now that I have installed the mid-pipe it makes a really loud sucking noise at idle...so just like the other guy said its normal.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:10 PM

Re: Re: just installed frankencar mid-pipe/stillen cone

Originally posted by ivelweyz

Great but for the price of a Stillen cone you can get the whole FRANKENCAR intake and then some...
yea but i bought mine used from a friend for 60$ so it wasn't that bad of a deal
Old 03-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just installed the Stillen intake. I am thinking of adding on the Midpipe. How was the install for the midpipe? What do you mean by loss of low end? Is there a loss of low end with the midpipe and the intake? I'm glad you like it, I hope I have a similar experience.

Old 03-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Custom User Title...

Originally posted by Xtremeracer
I just installed the Stillen intake. I am thinking of adding on the Midpipe. How was the install for the midpipe? What do you mean by loss of low end? Is there a loss of low end with the midpipe and the intake? I'm glad you like it, I hope I have a similar experience.

he meant loss of low end that lots of people report when get installing hai. the midpipe restores losses according to everyone who has them. add the midpipe, you'll enjoy it!
Old 03-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Dev

Originally posted by ivelweyz

well considering the stillen intake has a bigger filter, and a velocity stack, it will give more gains along with the midpipe than the "whole frankencar intake".
also thats what you pay for name brand, as opposed to frankencar.

i'd prefer to go with the jwt pop and frankencar midpipe, which is the same as stillen but cheaper.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

that sucking noise is just an indication that your setup is a little bit closer to a CAI setup. The first time I heard CAI @ idle I was addicted to the sound! it was cool.