4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheels Alignment on MAXIMA

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 09:47 PM
TSW

Wheels Alignment on MAXIMA

Wheel Alignment on MAXIMA

Hi guys,
I have changed rims & tires from 215/55-16 on 245/45-18 on my babe and I noticed it pulls to one side a bit. I would like to know if the alignment is done on the front wheels ONLY for our 4th generation MAXIMAS, right?
Rear wheels cannot be aligned, am I correct?

Thanks guys.

P.S. Drive and take care of those SWEET looking 4th generation MAXIMAS…..
Old 03-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have had 4 alignments...

They will have to do a 4 wheel alignment to get "All 4 wheels centered and aligned in the same direction" Make sure you do the following before you go to get an alignment:
1. Balance the Wheels/Tire
2. Check for even tire pressures
3. Have the balancer check if any of your tires are "out of round" it then can be replaced under the tire manufactures waranty.

When you have an alignment have them double check your Tie Rods. I had to have mine changed out soon after my 18inch upgrade. These have to do with the steering/slight pulling/slight drifting..esp on the highway.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:09 AM

Re: I have had 4 alignments...

Originally posted by krbga
They will have to do a 4 wheel alignment to get "All 4 wheels centered and aligned in the same direction" Make sure you do the following before you go to get an alignment:
1. Balance the Wheels/Tire
2. Check for even tire pressures
3. Have the balancer check if any of your tires are "out of round" it then can be replaced under the tire manufactures waranty.

When you have an alignment have them double check your Tie Rods. I had to have mine changed out soon after my 18inch upgrade. These have to do with the steering/slight pulling/slight drifting..esp on the highway.

They can not align the rear wheels.....there is nothing to adjust. I think the alignment they will give you is a thrust alignment, IIRC, will make sure your car travels in a straight line. Don't pay for a 4 wheel alignment.

Also, I never heard of tie rods wearing out, usually they are replaced because they are bent from an accident of some sort.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:32 AM

I also have a question about slight pulling/steering...

I go straight... but it seems like sometimes i'll slowly steer one direction... especially on bumpy roads

I put my 18's back on... 225/40/18... and lowered it with sprint springs (2 inches).. and now I need an alignment.. i've been waiting for camber kits... but i drive to work and school everyday for about 40 miles a day... should I Get my alignment ASAP?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:36 AM

what's the difference between camber bolts and the camber kits?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:38 AM
I like Maximas

Originally posted by ZeRo MaX
I also have a question about slight pulling/steering...

I go straight... but it seems like sometimes i'll slowly steer one direction... especially on bumpy roads

I put my 18's back on... 225/40/18... and lowered it with sprint springs (2 inches).. and now I need an alignment.. i've been waiting for camber kits... but i drive to work and school everyday for about 40 miles a day... should I Get my alignment ASAP?
i think i have the same problem.

i go in straight lines and everything but my steering wheel is kinda hard to turn (but then again i just made a transition from an 89 olds where the steering wheel can be easily turned all the way with your pinky finger!) and then i stop on a somewhat bumpy road sometimes my steering wheel pulls to the right, or to the left. what can be causing this?

I do plan to flush out and replace the steering fluid with Royal Purple ATF.

-Vadim
Old 03-25-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by vipervadim

i think i have the same problem.

i go in straight lines and everything but my steering wheel is kinda hard to turn (but then again i just made a transition from an 89 olds where the steering wheel can be easily turned all the way with your pinky finger!) and then i stop on a somewhat bumpy road sometimes my steering wheel pulls to the right, or to the left. what can be causing this?

I do plan to flush out and replace the steering fluid with Royal Purple ATF.

-Vadim

This was my problem exactly on my 91 max. I went and got an alignment and my brakes done and it still did the same thing. Only recently I have suspected that It might be my tires

I just took the same setup from my 91 Max (18 in Konnig Toxxins/ Yokohama paradas) and transferred it onto my 1999 SE and it suddenly started doing the same thing so I will go and check my tires.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:58 AM
I like Maximas

Originally posted by BigJuice

This was my problem exactly on my 91 max. I went and got an alignment and my brakes done and it still did the same thing. Only recently I have suspected that It might be my tires

I just took the same setup from my 91 Max (18 in Konnig Toxxins/ Yokohama paradas) and transferred it onto my 1999 SE and it suddenly started doing the same thing so I will go and check my tires.
yup my tires are the stock bridgestones that came with the se rims! they have 61K on them and have about 10% (at best) trread left on them i went to tirerack and found some pretty nice Kumho Supra 712's for 72 each. i'll probably end up getting those.