4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FlameThrower

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 01:41 PM

FlameThrower

Has anyone ever put a plug in their exhaust and made a flame thrower kit out of it. I was wondering cause i was thinking of doing this for fun. I already have the test pipe now so it would work pretty decent. Should i use an ignition coil to do it or should i just put a plug in the exhaust with a power wire put to it with a switch? I dont know how i should do it i think it would be kinda cool to it, cheap also, so what the heck could be fun. lol Brian
Old 04-04-2003, 01:58 PM

How would you do that?? that would be nice!!!!
I want to know

We have the right to know
THE PUBLIC HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW!!!

ok ok

breath......

Calm down
Old 04-04-2003, 02:01 PM

I have a stock coil from a chevelle so i might just try it like that i'll give it a shot i just need a decent spark plug wire so it would work. Brian
Old 04-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Custom User Title...

Old 04-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Cheesing away...

I saw a kid in a old 70's impala with a flame thrower kit on it. They look sweet, but IMO only on dual exhausts.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i saw a show on this the other day they used a plug hooked up to a cheap coil and wired to a switch i dont remember the specifics but i do think they said it wouldnt work on a car with a cat
Old 04-04-2003, 04:31 PM

I remember I was out with some friends about 3 years ago when I saw a car with flame throwers on it...IT WAS SWEET!!! I had the guy rev it up while I lit my cig from the flame I was really surprised my eyebrows didn't get burned off(it took a couple of tries)...I didn't think that many people were watching but after I looked up EVERYONE at the IN-N-OUT was cheering - It was pretty funny
Old 04-04-2003, 04:34 PM
henock

it can be done. just get rid of the cat..

i forgot the brand.. autoloc or something.. it consists of a switch, a spark plug in the exhaust.. a few other things..

when you press the switch it runs a bit of raw gas through the engine (shuts the plugs off) and it ignites in the exhaust. If you like the thing and you use it a lot.. you need to change your oil more frequently. bleeding raw gas through the block and exhaust isnt the best thing in the world to do.

Old 04-04-2003, 05:01 PM

there was someone on eBay a while back that was sellin the whole kit.. i dont know if he still does or not..
Old 04-04-2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by tunaman
there was someone on eBay a while back that was sellin the whole kit.. i dont know if he still does or not..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6771 Check out the video!
Old 04-04-2003, 06:37 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

I knew this would eventually come up. Last sunday I was watching HorsePowerTV and the show Trucks (not my favorite...) had a how to about this. Basically you get a spark plug for each exhaust tail-pipe and a coil pack for each plug. You can't have a catalytic convertor or a muffler on your car. You're going to be running pure gasoline through your engine and out your exhaust.

You buy a kit from autoloc (if i remember correctly) and it has a little swtich and a circuit board. You wire it up (following their instructions) and put the spark plug about 3 to 6 inches down from the outlet of your tailpipe. You do this by drilling a hole in the side of the pipe, threading it, and screwing the plug in so the spark is created about in the center of the pipe. Hook the plug to the coil pack and voila. When you rev your engine, push the button you've installed somewhere and it will cut the ignition sparks to your engine and raw fuel will go out your exhaust and the plugs will ignite causing some fire to fly out your tail-pipe(s).

The first to do this to a Maxima HAS to catch it on video tape and post the movie =)
Old 04-04-2003, 07:15 PM

Re: HAHAHAHAHA

Well i didnt' want to do the whole run raw gas thru my car so i just put a plug in the exhaust with an ignition coil. I'm havin problems right now with spark plug wires i wanted to go cheap so i took the ones off of my buddies wreck Grand am he has out back i think the wires are **** cause i'm not getting spark out of the plug. It was getting cold and i have to work tmw so i'm going to try it sunday see what i can get working for me i'll get at least a pic of it working for you guys.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:10 PM

=/

Not to rain on the parade, but I don't see how you plan on getting flames from already burned exhaust. If it does catch fire, it means you have some serious problems and you're not igniting all the gas.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:22 PM

Man i want that!! anyone know a company who sells the kit?
Old 04-05-2003, 11:58 PM

On the Monster Garage episode where they turn the 5.0 Mustang into a lawnmower, they used a flamethrower in the pipes and then augmented it with a propane tank plumbed into the exhaust right before the spark plug.

Probably dangerous as hell, but really increased the size of the flames coming out the tips. This might be one way to make a fuel-injected, catalytic-equipped car into a flamethrower.

Quack2x
Old 04-06-2003, 10:17 AM

there are a few kits already available that use a secondary fuel supply to fuel the flame. there's also a local shop here that advertises that they do them. the only way you are going to get flames out of existing exhaust is to run way too rich.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:21 AM
rmb

Propane is the only way to go in something like the Max. Used to do it all the time on Go-karts and such..... It's really very simple. The hard part is getting it to light all the time. Usually the fuel mixture is too rich and it won't burn....

Plus with a propane setup you can run with cats and don't need to worry about wrecking your engine... just burning your car to the ground!

-RMB
Old 04-06-2003, 01:37 PM

I saw on ebay a flame thrower kit and in the ad, it says 1 - 6 feet flame. The car behind a car equiped with flamethrower kit shouldn't be very happy to see those flames
Old 04-06-2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Max-2-GTR
I saw on ebay a flame thrower kit and in the ad, it says 1 - 6 feet flame. The car behind a car equiped with flamethrower kit shouldn't be very happy to see those flames
its SO terribly illegal to use flames on a road, ESPECIALLY while moving! and on that TRUCKS episode, you have to rev it to like 3k b4 you can activate the flame throwers