4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

belt change/ how to HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

belt change/ how to HELP

I'm in the process of changing the belts on my 97 Max. and I have the main one off and the tensioner is pretty straight forward. however, removing the power steering pump belt looks like it's hard as he11 to get to, I can see a tension adjustment, way down there but can't get to it. I have the pass. front tire off, and the covers so I have exposed everything I can. Whats the trick to the power steering pump belt? I can't find a how to and my haynes manual says "if it needs changing, then change it" not a thing on how to....help is appreciated.
Thanks
2Maximas
Old 04-06-2003, 01:34 PM

I figured it out, thanks anyways, it's a b1tch! There needs to be a FAQ on 4th gen belt change. If you have a Hanyes manual and try to reference that you are SOL!
2Maximas
Old 06-10-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by 2maximas
I figured it out, thanks anyways, it's a b1tch! There needs to be a FAQ on 4th gen belt change. If you have a Hanyes manual and try to reference that you are SOL!
2Maximas
I feel you on the haynes manual man. It has helped alot with some things, but it does get all TOO General at times. I think too much is implied about the reader of the manual, because guys like me need a REAL Step by step. Im about to take on this belt change task myself. Can you fill me on what you had to do to get to the difficult belt?! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 AM

Yea,
i'm busy right now but I will get back to you....it's a pain in th a$$ but I'll get back to you on how to do it....
2maximas
Old 06-10-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by 2maximas
Yea,
i'm busy right now but I will get back to you....it's a pain in th a$$ but I'll get back to you on how to do it....
2maximas
Cool. No rush. Thanks!

Capitone
Old 06-20-2003, 06:33 AM

What up Man. You gonna Share the knowledge or what? I'm attempting this thang this weekend. Im sure I'll be able to get it done without your input, but whatever help you can afford is still appreciated.

Capitone
Old 06-20-2003, 06:48 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I tried this last night. I removed the old belts by cutting them off (they were bad, already bought new ones, and I was actually removing the oil pan at the time.

When it came time to put them back on suddenly it's not so simple. I was able to get my air ratchet on there by putting two 8" extensions and a universal joint next to the socket, then feed the socket/extensions up between the driveshaft and the control arm. But just adjusting this tensioner doesn't do jack.

I apparently have to loosen a bolt at the back of the PS pump, and a bolt attached to the tensioner itself, before I can use the tensioner to wind the pump in/out.

The haynes manual sucks; "Adjust the tensioner"

The haynes manual is also DEAD WRONG on the 4th gen rear main seal. They advise you to pull the seal out, leaing the retainer in place. Dunno about the 3rd gen, but the 4th gen doesn't work that way - you have to remove the whole retainer. And it's better to remove the oil pan so you can get that half-moon in there without it being canted and leaking like an SOB.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Scruit
I tried this last night. I removed the old belts by cutting them off (they were bad, already bought new ones, and I was actually removing the oil pan at the time.

When it came time to put them back on suddenly it's not so simple. I was able to get my air ratchet on there by putting two 8" extensions and a universal joint next to the socket, then feed the socket/extensions up between the driveshaft and the control arm. But just adjusting this tensioner doesn't do jack.

I apparently have to loosen a bolt at the back of the PS pump, and a bolt attached to the tensioner itself, before I can use the tensioner to wind the pump in/out.

The haynes manual sucks; "Adjust the tensioner"

The haynes manual is also DEAD WRONG on the 4th gen rear main seal. They advise you to pull the seal out, leaing the retainer in place. Dunno about the 3rd gen, but the 4th gen doesn't work that way - you have to remove the whole retainer. And it's better to remove the oil pan so you can get that half-moon in there without it being canted and leaking like an SOB.
Hey Scruit, thanks for your input. So what tools would you say are needed? Do you think Two 8" extenstions a universal joint and general tool box should it?